News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Cain

You know, it's not easy to find designs for door-activated traps which definitely won't kill people.

Admittedly, this could be because I have liked a thousand terrorist manuals on my HD, and non-lethal options usually aren't of much interest in those circles.

minuspace

I was going to suggest a photographic trap, and/or wiring tungsten trip-wires at different heights/angles throughout flat.  Hook wires to large capacitors set to charge from car batteries.  Have system engage when door opens.  Maybe some strobe lighting, for effect

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cain on May 26, 2016, 07:26:55 PM
You know, it's not easy to find designs for door-activated traps which definitely won't kill people.

Admittedly, this could be because I have liked a thousand terrorist manuals on my HD, and non-lethal options usually aren't of much interest in those circles.

Rube Goldbergian snap mouse trap field?

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on May 26, 2016, 07:26:55 PM

You need a surveillance trap. Rigging the door, even non lethally, is all well and good, but it's unlawful at best. If you can get a disposable camera those can often be set up to take a single pick with some fishing line, a ruler, a wall eyelet or two, some basic geometry, and a mousetrap. Just be sure you rig it to trigger when the door is about 3/4 open. Hopefully their hand will still be on the handle and face visible. This may seem too obvious but NO FLASH, not just for light but also sound.

Your best bet would still be a digi with motion detection if you have access to such. Evidence of unlawful access to your place would be the best you can legally do.

If you want to be a dick though, be sure to leave a mark. Liquid henna, and a small CO2 cartridge can do a lot for real cheap.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 26, 2016, 07:13:55 PM
I'm not quite at TGRR levels of being able to upset people yet, but on the other hand, wounding the inner child of teenagers is much easier, especially when they let it loose so often.

Two days ago, I learned three things you don't say to Bethany in an airlock.  :banana:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on May 26, 2016, 02:02:41 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 25, 2016, 09:16:25 PM
Back in Texas, despite promising myself I'd never return.

Bad science, random Prada, and the sudden realization that LMNO is ten times sexier than I previously believed (which I would not have thought possible).

Pictures and details forthcoming, if I make it back.

I am so waiting for these pics.

Our director is deciding which ones I can have.  I might have them tonight, Tuesday at latest.

P3nt is gonna shit.  The BAT/HET has 91 secondary 1 meter mirrors.  It's like having sex with all of the founding fathers at once.

On the down side, I spent most of Tuesday in a pressure suit. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

The Wizard Joseph

So I got a hair up my butt after Nigel linked to this article on FB.
http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/05/26/dear-offended-christian-from-a-very-tired-christian/

There was a specific point made about there being NO teachings from Jesus in the Gospels, and this sort of hit a sore spot for me. My question centers around a small but possibly very significant use of language that may be a fairly huge thing. Here's the write up as I have it down for now.

As to sincere opinions please fire away. I'm not attached to the perspective quite so personally as I used to be. I DO want to construct this from within the Christian perspective ultimately, but that's on me.
_____

I sympathize with the author on pretty much every point, but one of them is very close to the heart of the matter in terms of factional strife.

"I'm tired of reminding you that the number of times Jesus spoke about gender identity and sexual orientation in the Gospels—is zero."

This is not strictly true. In Matthew ch19 from about verses 8-12 Jesus lays down some pretty severe teaching about the spiritual consequences of divorce and when folks be like "That sucks! Better to never marry" Jesus basically says "Yup!" and goes into a bit about eunuchs as an aside.

As far as Jesus' actual teachings clearly went he says abstinence to focus on the spiritual exclusively is best, but, hey, clearly not for everyone. He uses that to approach the subject of the eunuch then delineates the three basic sorts, those so born, so made by others, and some very few who are able to give it up as a spiritual sacrifice, in that order. He makes a point of showing that the status can be inherent, placing it first in description, but spoke most of the willing sort, and barely mentioned the usual kind in the middle. This matters as it demonstrated unmistakably through his language that he was least concerned in his message with the most usual sort of the subject. Yet he only meant "eunuch" in its most common form here say the scholars of "Christianity"!
I do wonder about that.

There's longstanding, highly predictable, argument against this passage possibly applying to homosexuality. The fact is they're correct that Jesus wasn't talking about that... overtly. If he had they'd have stoned him then and there, and he knew that damn well. They try a few times in other places, most notably when he declares "Before Moses was I AM" speaking the forbidden name of God in reply to a Pharisee's challenge of his authority to interpret the law. Christian doctrine states this was him claiming to be God, but there we now differ. I think he was merely stating the simple, terribly dangerous truth. God's authority is greater and older than Moses' law, and so any use of the law that is counter to Love and Truth has none of God's authority, but I digress.

It's worth noting that the Greek word for eunuch is derived from the words for "bed" and "owner" implying all of the sleeping alone a eunuch does. That's in Strong's Concordance if any question that interpretation.  Given Jesus' sense of wordplay and the unapproachable nature of the subject, I'd say "one who's bed is their own" could well describe the person of (then) unorthodox  gender or sexual orientation in a sublime fashion. It follows that if a person can be so born then God must have made them so, and loves them as such. From there we can see that the division never existed. It is and always was a lie, and as such doomed eventually. How's that for an eschaton worth "emmanentizing"?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

That's worth a thread of its own.  You want I should split it?

The Good Reverend Roger

I won't have the pics til Tuesday.  when they are available, I will be writing that shit up.

It was kind of the coolest thing ever.

minuspace

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 28, 2016, 02:12:40 AM
So I got a hair up my butt after Nigel linked to this article on FB.
http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/05/26/dear-offended-christian-from-a-very-tired-christian/

There was a specific point made about there being NO teachings from Jesus in the Gospels, and this sort of hit a sore spot for me. My question centers around a small but possibly very significant use of language that may be a fairly huge thing. Here's the write up as I have it down for now.

As to sincere opinions please fire away. I'm not attached to the perspective quite so personally as I used to be. I DO want to construct this from within the Christian perspective ultimately, but that's on me.
_____

I sympathize with the author on pretty much every point, but one of them is very close to the heart of the matter in terms of factional strife.

"I'm tired of reminding you that the number of times Jesus spoke about gender identity and sexual orientation in the Gospels—is zero."

This is not strictly true. In Matthew ch19 from about verses 8-12 Jesus lays down some pretty severe teaching about the spiritual consequences of divorce and when folks be like "That sucks! Better to never marry" Jesus basically says "Yup!" and goes into a bit about eunuchs as an aside.

As far as Jesus' actual teachings clearly went he says abstinence to focus on the spiritual exclusively is best, but, hey, clearly not for everyone. He uses that to approach the subject of the eunuch then delineates the three basic sorts, those so born, so made by others, and some very few who are able to give it up as a spiritual sacrifice, in that order. He makes a point of showing that the status can be inherent, placing it first in description, but spoke most of the willing sort, and barely mentioned the usual kind in the middle. This matters as it demonstrated unmistakably through his language that he was least concerned in his message with the most usual sort of the subject. Yet he only meant "eunuch" in its most common form here say the scholars of "Christianity"!
I do wonder about that.

There's longstanding, highly predictable, argument against this passage possibly applying to homosexuality. The fact is they're correct that Jesus wasn't talking about that... overtly. If he had they'd have stoned him then and there, and he knew that damn well. They try a few times in other places, most notably when he declares "Before Moses was I AM" speaking the forbidden name of God in reply to a Pharisee's challenge of his authority to interpret the law. Christian doctrine states this was him claiming to be God, but there we now differ. I think he was merely stating the simple, terribly dangerous truth. God's authority is greater and older than Moses' law, and so any use of the law that is counter to Love and Truth has none of God's authority, but I digress.

It's worth noting that the Greek word for eunuch is derived from the words for "bed" and "owner" implying all of the sleeping alone a eunuch does. That's in Strong's Concordance if any question that interpretation.  Given Jesus' sense of wordplay and the unapproachable nature of the subject, I'd say "one who's bed is their own" could well describe the person of (then) unorthodox  gender or sexual orientation in a sublime fashion. It follows that if a person can be so born then God must have made them so, and loves them as such. From there we can see that the division never existed. It is and always was a lie, and as such doomed eventually. How's that for an eschaton worth "emmanentizing"?

I like it.  Gender and sexual orientation may constitute the format of identity on the physical plane of things, however, and by contradistinction, this is immanently irrelevant to the spiritual. 

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 28, 2016, 03:49:54 AM
That's worth a thread of its own.  You want I should split it?

Naw. I can repost later if it comes to that. Thanks though! Does the argument seem solid?

I didn't make this to with a will to troll so much as a weapon against the fanatic, that I think happens to be the most likely truth.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 28, 2016, 03:54:20 AM
I won't have the pics til Tuesday.  when they are available, I will be writing that shit up.

It was kind of the coolest thing ever.

Whatever this is about I can't wait to discover what could possibly top all other of the cool things you've seen.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

LuciferX you're right in a distinct sense. A lot of mystics claim that the soul is without inherent gender. It's most common in reincarnation mythology, which I suspect most of the early church held as doctrine until the meddling of Theodora under Emperor Justinian.. I think. Would have to go double check. See if karmic laws still applied after one's "salvation" then a bunch of imperial debauchery starts to make one seem... insincere spiritually. Look up "monophysite heresy" for more.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl