News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Freeky on June 18, 2016, 08:00:53 PM
Jebus.  Is this what it's like to actually adult?  You have to babysit backstabbing assholes all the time?

Yes.  And then I'm responsible for the actually legal children as well.  Why do you think I'm constantly so angry?

Quote from: Freeky on June 19, 2016, 03:04:02 AM
Christ.

Also, Cain, do I have to watch ads in their entirety for you to get credit on your Youtube videos, or can I use the "Skip to Video" button?

You can skip.  I stopped monetizing videos ages ago, since I actually have a job now.  Any ads you see are either me being forgetful, or Youtube being dicks.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 19, 2016, 03:13:31 AM
The strongest possibility here is that one of your bosses has a big mouth and your co-worker is actually crazy.

That's what I figure too.  Said co-worker has also being reporting everyone's browsing history to the manager.

Doesn't affect me, because I use private browsing and have now set up all the office browsers to do the same, but I compared notes with the other department, who confirmed IT were not cracking down (because once 1am rolls around there, all they do is goof off and watch films online, and they've not had a meeting about it). 

I figure what at least part of it is is that she has an MBA from some podunk former technical college and she thinks it makes her some kind of efficiency bigshot, and she's going to creatively destroy our workplace and release the power of innovation and competition, or some such crap.  You know how these MBA types are.  She'll probably have a breakdown in a few months and have to be hospitalized.  Either that or the other night shift co-worker she's on with will bludgeon her to death.  Well, once her hand has healed up from the last person she beat the crap out of.

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on June 19, 2016, 05:02:01 AM
Quote from: Freeky on June 18, 2016, 08:00:53 PM
Jebus.  Is this what it's like to actually adult?  You have to babysit backstabbing assholes all the time?

Yes.  And then I'm responsible for the actually legal children as well.  Why do you think I'm constantly so angry?

Because you're a really, really smart person fed up with being surrounded by malicious and stupid people all the time.  I was not aware that it was the same thing, but we live and learn.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 19, 2016, 05:02:01 AM
That's what I figure too.  Said co-worker has also being reporting everyone's browsing history to the manager.

Doesn't affect me, because I use private browsing and have now set up all the office browsers to do the same, but I compared notes with the other department, who confirmed IT were not cracking down (because once 1am rolls around there, all they do is goof off and watch films online, and they've not had a meeting about it). 

I figure what at least part of it is is that she has an MBA from some podunk former technical college and she thinks it makes her some kind of efficiency bigshot, and she's going to creatively destroy our workplace and release the power of innovation and competition, or some such crap.  You know how these MBA types are.  She'll probably have a breakdown in a few months and have to be hospitalized.  Either that or the other night shift co-worker she's on with will bludgeon her to death.  Well, once her hand has healed up from the last person she beat the crap out of.

Either way, it should be entertaining.  And MBA types are the worst.  Does she speak MBA?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

No, which is something of a mixed blessing.  On the one hand, I don't have to hear it, but on the other hand, I can't make of her for it.

She hasn't even mentioned externalising our core competencies yet  :sad:

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Victor (one of my mechanics):  "So what's your deal?  You alternate between normal and bugshit."

Me:  "Boredom."

Victor:  "You go bugshit when you're bored?"

Me:  "Yes.  And then it's like shoving a stun gun up a hippopotamus's ass.  The idea that something wrong is happening has just reached his brain, and he's turning to look at you.  And you just know - like you know the sun will come up in the East - that you're going to push the button."

Victor (fixed smile on his face):  "Is this conversation boring you?"

Me:  "Of course not.  What gives you that idea?"

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

I have some things bouncing in my head, but nothing is solidifying. You all will be the first to know if my brain spits out anything useful.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 21, 2016, 08:38:53 PM
Victor (one of my mechanics):  "So what's your deal?  You alternate between normal and bugshit."

Me:  "Boredom."

Victor:  "You go bugshit when you're bored?"

Me:  "Yes.  And then it's like shoving a stun gun up a hippopotamus's ass.  The idea that something wrong is happening has just reached his brain, and he's turning to look at you.  And you just know - like you know the sun will come up in the East - that you're going to push the button."

Victor (fixed smile on his face):  "Is this conversation boring you?"

Me:  "Of course not.  What gives you that idea?"

:lol: Gotta keep em on their toes.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

The Good Reverend Roger

So, a glycol line goes to shit, turns out it's rusted out completely, and has to be replaced by 11 AM this morning.  I tell the plumber "You're in charge, go", and then we all work under the plumber's direction and fix that shit.

But everyone is surprised because I put the plumber in charge of the plumbing job. 

People are dumb.  Who the fuck was I gonna put in charge? 

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 22, 2016, 10:04:58 PM
So, a glycol line goes to shit, turns out it's rusted out completely, and has to be replaced by 11 AM this morning.  I tell the plumber "You're in charge, go", and then we all work under the plumber's direction and fix that shit.

But everyone is surprised because I put the plumber in charge of the plumbing job. 

People are dumb.  Who the fuck was I gonna put in charge?

An engineer, duh.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

Seniority really IS a thing.  Just saying.

Also, I think the commute across 60 miles of absolutely barren desert each way has drastically improved my mood and my thinking.

minuspace

Today was all about the main machine's sudden advanced-acute narcolepsy, finally cured by invoking   exotic reboot calls.  Had to execute things on unmounted filesystems that "should probably not be used... giving users advance warning of their impending doom" (per unix man page :lulz:)

The Good Reverend Roger

The best thing I've heard said all year, which is now "Daniel's Law":

"If you shoot a man in the face at the ice capades, people will talk.  Shoot the same guy on a battlefield, people will step over him while wondering which ration they're going to draw for dinner.  It's all about context."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 24, 2016, 01:34:09 AM
The best thing I've heard said all year, which is now "Daniel's Law":

"If you shoot a man in the face at the ice capades, people will talk.  Shoot the same guy on a battlefield, people will step over him while wondering which ration they're going to draw for dinner.  It's all about context."

I had to just stare at that for a minute trying to understand...

Failing that, badly. Isn't intentionally shooting folks in the face one of those things that you're pretty much sure you're likely to get "known and noted" for real quick in the military?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl