News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 25, 2016, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 25, 2016, 08:06:22 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 25, 2016, 04:57:29 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on June 25, 2016, 01:17:29 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 25, 2016, 12:54:02 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on June 25, 2016, 12:51:36 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 24, 2016, 10:44:47 PM
The M-16's calibre is the NATO standard, replacing the  7.62×51mm standard from the 1950s because with improvements to weapon rates of fire, they were responsible for too much recoil and not taking advantage of the improved automatic rate of fire.

At the expense of killing-capacity/range:
QuoteA U.S. Army study found that the 5.56 mm bullets fired from M-4s don't retain enough velocity at distances greater than 1,000 feet (300 meters) to kill an adversary. In hilly regions of Afghanistan, NATO and insurgent forces are often 2,000 to 2,500 feet (600-800 meters) apart.

An M4 is not an M16.  It has a shorter barrel.  Do I need to explain why that is important in a firearm?
You may gain some accuracy, however, the round being fired is still essentially the size of a .22.  What surprised me is how they explain most of the bullet's damage coming from how it "tumbles" through it's target.

Yes, the tumble is the gory bit.  But the longer barrel of the M16 also means more of the propellant burns, meaning the round goes a hell of a lot faster, which drastically increases the maximum range of the bullet AND increases the tumble effect (gruesomely known as "putting some English on it").

And the tumble can kind of suck, because I've had rounds hit twigs and go spinning off into the blue.  But when it hits a human, the tumble makes it follow the bones, so you hit the guy in the leg, and it maybe comes out of his head.

I think there's a similar term in pool for the kind of spin that can ride a rail or directly effect cue ball position after its first strike.

Your bone would be the rail and your flesh the "air" it's tearing through. Nice.

I always liked the term, "putting some English on it". Now there's something more!

Shit like this always makes me uncomfortable when civilians say it.

I tried to adequately reply to this. I'm in a bit of a rush and have much on my agenda, just got back to my hometown and gonna be seeing folks and partying till tomorrow at least. I'll give it my best when I can and post it to a thread about myself I've been procrastinating about.

Long story short, I'm not like the other kids. I'm not proud of it. I have a lot to say on the subject of violence by way of nature and personal experience. I'm proud of some of my particular deeds and experiences... mostly not.

Sorry if I creeped you out man.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 25, 2016, 04:57:29 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on June 25, 2016, 01:17:29 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 25, 2016, 12:54:02 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on June 25, 2016, 12:51:36 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 24, 2016, 10:44:47 PM
The M-16's calibre is the NATO standard, replacing the  7.62×51mm standard from the 1950s because with improvements to weapon rates of fire, they were responsible for too much recoil and not taking advantage of the improved automatic rate of fire.

At the expense of killing-capacity/range:
QuoteA U.S. Army study found that the 5.56 mm bullets fired from M-4s don't retain enough velocity at distances greater than 1,000 feet (300 meters) to kill an adversary. In hilly regions of Afghanistan, NATO and insurgent forces are often 2,000 to 2,500 feet (600-800 meters) apart.

An M4 is not an M16.  It has a shorter barrel.  Do I need to explain why that is important in a firearm?
You may gain some accuracy, however, the round being fired is still essentially the size of a .22.  What surprised me is how they explain most of the bullet's damage coming from how it "tumbles" through it's target.

Yes, the tumble is the gory bit.  But the longer barrel of the M16 also means more of the propellant burns, meaning the round goes a hell of a lot faster, which drastically increases the maximum range of the bullet AND increases the tumble effect (gruesomely known as "putting some English on it").

And the tumble can kind of suck, because I've had rounds hit twigs and go spinning off into the blue.  But when it hits a human, the tumble makes it follow the bones, so you hit the guy in the leg, and it maybe comes out of his head.

I get it.  So the round would still be accelerating as it passes through the barrel. 

Seconding TWJ, that is terribly gnarly expression.  :horrormirth:

Suu

It originated as a billiards term. At least as far as I know.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

POFP

Quote from: SuuCal on June 26, 2016, 01:21:27 AM
It originated as a billiards term. At least as far as I know.

This was where I was coming from as well.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Don Coyote

When someone who is removed from the kind of violence being talked about talks about things like how nice of a turn of phrase "putting some English on it" it's chilling.

minuspace

It's really very unexpected.  The difference is in the projection, I think, going from something that is turning in the wrong direction, to one that is written in cursive (calligraphy, not snoorker to me).

The Good Reverend Roger

So, my son is home on leave today.  Picked him up at the airport, we all had a nice dinner, and now he's out drinking shit American beer and chasing ass.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Cain

Based on my limited experience with Blandford Forum Royal Signals Corp personnel, that sounds about right.  Though the nice meal is promising - it means you wont have to do too much retraining if he decides to go civilian again.

Cain

Oh shit, I am definitely drunk.  Please disregard anything posted in, lets say, the last hour from this post and the next 3 hours, unless it seems like it actually makes sense.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 26, 2016, 02:13:12 AM
When someone who is removed from the kind of violence being talked about talks about things like how nice of a turn of phrase "putting some English on it" it's chilling.

I have an upsetting, very icy side. I chose not to enter the military because of it in part. For me the choice to abandon violence, and coercion through it's threat, was an acknowledgement of a potentially dangerous part of my nature that I dare not abrogate responsibility for. It was a spiritual choice, tale forthcoming.

I may not be so removed from what I described as you may think. If I understand what you said that would be even less comfortable in that light. I am not an ignorant civilian glibly making a joke out of that ignorance, but a frighteningly aware one with an often broken sense of humor. I try very hard to be a good person and have many healthy outlets for the vicious aspects of myself, but that only became possible because I chose, and continually Strive, to be what I am.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2016, 02:17:52 PM
Oh shit, I am definitely drunk.  Please disregard anything posted in, lets say, the last hour from this post and the next 3 hours, unless it seems like it actually makes sense.

Bare your soul Cain! The times have turned and the season for weeping and gnashing of teeth is here. Might as well post some cool shit!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

POFP

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2016, 02:17:52 PM
Fap material doesn't have to make sense
                     /
  DO A RANT!
      \     POST MORE! POST MORE!
        \    /  /
:angrymob:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 26, 2016, 03:46:08 PM

I have an upsetting, very icy side. I chose not to enter the military because of it in part. For me the choice to abandon violence, and coercion through it's threat, was an acknowledgement of a potentially dangerous part of my nature that I dare not abrogate responsibility for. It was a spiritual choice, tale forthcoming.

I may not be so removed from what I described as you may think. If I understand what you said that would be even less comfortable in that light. I am not an ignorant civilian glibly making a joke out of that ignorance, but a frighteningly aware one with an often broken sense of humor. I try very hard to be a good person and have many healthy outlets for the vicious aspects of myself, but that only became possible because I chose, and continually Strive, to be what I am.

All that sounds super edgelord.

POFP

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 26, 2016, 06:12:43 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 26, 2016, 03:46:08 PM

All that sounds super edgelord.

I was going to jest as well, but he contributes quite a bit to discussion around here and is quite reasonable.

Nice-guy edginess aside, his original statement didn't seem to me like it was doting the connection of the word to the violence. It seemed like he was doting the connection of the physics of a game of pool to the word, and how that was similarly connected to the bullet physics. Methinks he was just intrigued by the accuracy of the analogy created by the word.