News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

So, after a week of modafinil usage, here are my initial impressions:

- It works.  I feel less tired and more alert and mentally able throughout the night
- it's pretty subtle in its actual effects.  There's not much in the way of a "high" or extra energy that one would get from, say, drinking a can of Red Bull
- the tiredness is still there, if I pay attention.  However, it feels like it is in the back of my mind, compartmentalized, and so can be ignored
- the appetite reduction properties are much the same.  I can eat before work, then go the full 12 hours at work on nothing more than a fancy skinny latte and some sugarfree drinks.  I'm aware I should feel hungry, but it's a feeling I can put aside and ignore
- I'm pretty sure this isn't just a placebo effect, though it could be
- there's not much difference between the dosages.  150-200 both seem fine, though the lower one does seem to wear off a bit earlier
- I've been taking it along with food an hour before my shift.  My shift is 12 and 1/2 hours long.  I have no problems getting to sleep afterwards.
- I haven't noticed any cognitive enhancement properties.  This could be just because my job is that braindead simple, however.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on March 14, 2016, 10:46:15 PM
No that was a call to arms, it means our enemies are moving towards the servers. "This website is not safe, do what you must to defend it"

It would be like invading Britain.  You either become British or go mad.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

rong

Quote from: Cain on March 15, 2016, 12:00:19 AM
So, after a week of modafinil usage, here are my initial impressions:

- It works.  I feel less tired and more alert and mentally able throughout the night
- it's pretty subtle in its actual effects.  There's not much in the way of a "high" or extra energy that one would get from, say, drinking a can of Red Bull
- the tiredness is still there, if I pay attention.  However, it feels like it is in the back of my mind, compartmentalized, and so can be ignored
- the appetite reduction properties are much the same.  I can eat before work, then go the full 12 hours at work on nothing more than a fancy skinny latte and some sugarfree drinks.  I'm aware I should feel hungry, but it's a feeling I can put aside and ignore
- I'm pretty sure this isn't just a placebo effect, though it could be
- there's not much difference between the dosages.  150-200 both seem fine, though the lower one does seem to wear off a bit earlier
- I've been taking it along with food an hour before my shift.  My shift is 12 and 1/2 hours long.  I have no problems getting to sleep afterwards.
- I haven't noticed any cognitive enhancement properties.  This could be just because my job is that braindead simple, however.

do you find you are sleeping an appropriate length of time?  i work rotating shifts - 12 hrs, 4 on, 4 off, alternating days and nights, so like: 4 days of dayshift, 7AM-7PM, 4 days off, 4 midnights 7PM-7AM, 4 days off - repeat.  I love the schedule - 2 day weekends are for suckas - but lately - I can't seem to sleep more than a few hours during the day when I'm on midnights and the transition from midnights back to days kicks my ass pretty hard.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cain

The transition days are always a PITA, yeah.  I just accept that, on that day, I'm going to get 4 hours of sleep, get up, feel like shit and try to have a normal day - even if I spend most of it collapsed in front of a TV, drinking coffee.

I've always been good about trying to maximise my sleep time when I'm working, so, unless something goes horribly wrong I always get at least 7 good hours of sleep during the day.  The occasional illness, stomach bug, police disco extravaganza right outside the building etc sometimes prevent this, but as a rule, I am for 8 hours of sleep as a preference, 7 as a minimum.

As far as I can tell, the modafinil doesn't disrupt my sleep at all.  I had a rough day today sleep wise - lots of waking up and falling back asleep - but I don't think it's necessarily related, as there were no problems on the other days I used it. 

rong

do you take the modafinil like, say, a cup of coffee - that is, when you know you'll need to stay awake for a while-  or is it more like a supplement that you take on a routine, regular schedule
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cain

I only take it on the nights I'm working.  Apparently you do build a tolerance up to it, so I figure best only to use it when needed.

minuspace

This is weird, SWIM was just inquiring about suvorexant, which I think is an orexin antagonist, for sleeping.  I don't know practically anything about this receptor, curiosity now piqued.
*scratches chin *

The Good Reverend Roger

I have been eating clam chowder 2 meals a day since Friday.

I feel a great and terrible spirit moving me.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Cain

I've never actually tried clam chowder.  There must be somewhere in London that delivers...

Bwahaha, 5 seconds on Google and I already have a place

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 15, 2016, 03:32:40 AM
I've never actually tried clam chowder.  There must be somewhere in London that delivers...

It's amazing.  But it does things to your guts.  Horrible, horrible things.

Cain

Depending how much weight I've lost this week, I may have to try.  And everything does terrible things to my gut, so I think I'll be fine.  Or at least, no worse than usual :p

Vanadium Gryllz

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 15, 2016, 03:47:35 AM
Quote from: Cain on March 15, 2016, 03:32:40 AM

It's amazing.  But it does things to your guts.  Horrible, horrible things.

It's basically cream, flour, and shellfish.  Maybe a potato.  WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 14, 2016, 05:55:58 PM
My Nannywall just told me "PRINCIPIA DISCORDIA IS NOT SAFE".

Why, thank you, Nannywall, I was blissfully ignorant of that until you opened your big fat mouth.

My office nannywall blocked it as "Cult/Occult." I have no complaints.