News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

I'm back from four days in shameless consumer land Universal Orlando, and I loved every second of it. Seven of my closest friends, Harry Potter World, Springfield, and OH, I got to hang out with Squid and Mr. Squid over a quick beer!

HI PD.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 08, 2016, 04:19:25 PM
I'm back from four days in shameless consumer land Universal Orlando, and I loved every second of it. Seven of my closest friends, Harry Potter World, Springfield, and OH, I got to hang out with Squid and Mr. Squid over a quick beer!

HI PD.

Did Squid kill you?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 08, 2016, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 08, 2016, 04:19:25 PM

HI PD.

Did Squid kill you?

No, but she was carrying a wand that looked suspiciously uhm, authentic, in comparison to the HP ones, and later that night I blew my nose and a chunk of swordfish came out.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Gray Area on March 08, 2016, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 07, 2016, 04:00:16 PM
I didn't get into the grad program.

I guess I have a year to sort myself off and try again.

I'm sorry to read your grad school plans have been delayed, Nigel.

The best advice I can give is simple: Don't give up. Review your options. Revise your plans.

For what it's worth, I encountered a delay in completing my formal education too. Today, my biggest regret is not the delay, but that I didn't make better use of my time while I was not in school. But, from what you've written, I'm certain you won't make that mistake.

Thank you!

I'm not as broken up about it as I might be, for a lot of reasons. Reason #1, of course, is that not getting into a graduate program is pretty damn trivial by comparison to the fact that my son isn't here. Reason #2 is that it gives me breathing room, time, as ECH mentioned, to grieve. Time also to see what shape this amazing new relationship I'm in will take now, especially with a new child joining our household.

Also, I was not originally planning on applying to grad school this year, I was going to wait because taking classes and applying to grad school is a whole lot to deal with at the same time. Plus my application will be stronger after I publish my thesis.

Lastly, I can take this time to sort out some post-bacc classes, finish pre-med requirements, gain some paid work experience and possibly get myself another publication, as well as talk to people at OHSU and try to find someone who is a good match for my research interests.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

So, for the moment, the only actually reliable internet access I have is at work.

Urgh.  Good thing I'm doing all this overtime (tonight is 7 out of the last 9 nights that I have worked).

The Good Reverend Roger

I fucking love when some alt is used to hijack one of my threads and talk past me.  OKAY, YOU WIN!  :lulz:

This is why I do my writing elsewhere these days.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO

Kids these days, getting side-tracked.  No sense of focus, I tell you.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on March 09, 2016, 07:15:50 PM
Kids these days, getting side-tracked.  No sense of focus, I tell you.

Yeeeah, right. Most folks here have been studiously ignoring me since the end of December. 

I'm okay with that, provided they don't expect to ever speak with me on FB or IRL.   :lol:

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 09, 2016, 06:27:53 PM
I fucking love when some alt is used to hijack one of my threads and talk past me.  OKAY, YOU WIN!  :lulz:

I miss Roger rants :( They make my brain feel funny.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Xaz on March 09, 2016, 09:03:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 09, 2016, 06:27:53 PM

I miss Roger rants :( They make my brain feel funny.

Once upon a time, long long ago and far away, the previous board owner, speaking for herself and the mods, told me "we would like you to rant here, but not to otherwise post."   That ended well. 

Granted, that was a lot more blatant than the sorta-shunning and snubs recently, but still, a snub is a snub.  And I would feel as if I had betrayed my principles if I did not overreact.  I will not write or rant for people that despise me to the point where I am deliberately spoken past in conversation, among other things.  I am, despite appearances, not a trained monkey.

So someone else can do the ranting.  Here, at any rate.

Vanadium Gryllz

Hard to imagine how they thought that would end well for them...

I know you're gonna do whatever you feel is right - just felt I should break from my mostly-lurker status to say that I appreciate your perspective on a lot of things.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Xaz on March 09, 2016, 10:07:09 PM
Hard to imagine how they thought that would end well for them...

I know you're gonna do whatever you feel is right - just felt I should break from my mostly-lurker status to say that I appreciate your perspective on a lot of things.

Thank you.  That means a lot right now.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 09, 2016, 10:17:59 PM
Sorry for making the SGITR worse.

S'ok.  I'll get over the whole thing.  It's just that I really hate that fucker.  There's no way that was an accident.