News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Zenpatista on April 09, 2016, 12:02:57 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2016, 09:35:10 PM
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2016/04/07/near-isis-front-us-marine-artillerymen-fire-everyday/82748578/

So, my son is in that group (we were told he was being deployed to Kuwait).  The guy that got killed was my son's boss.  So far, Ian is pretty frosty about the whole thing.

Jesus. Hoping for the best. It's a travesty that they didn't even tell you. Is that sort of thing typical? I guess he must not have gotten much notice either.

It's an operational security thing.  If it gave them the chance to sneak in and fuck Mosul up really badly while everyone's watching Donald Trump beat his chest, so much the better.  Better chance of success, and a better chance of my kid staying in one piece.  Loose lips, etc.

My problem is that the operation has one of those media-ready names, Operation <adjective><patriotic noun> names (Operation Inherent Resolve in this case), which tells me we're going to fuck it up badly.

Of course, as the British can tell you, the two ways to get the public behind an unpopular war is a great big victory or a tragic forlorn hope defeat.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 09, 2016, 02:32:15 AM
I am, as always, in awe of the beings such as your son Roger, who allow us to live how we do, and put forth their own existence as collateral.

By holding down brown people while we take their shit, if we're going to speak plainly.

Although in this case, it looks like an honest attempt to defeat ISIS by forcing an actual head on confrontation.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 09, 2016, 12:59:49 AM
Yeah, the Pentagon has been super fucking shitty with regards to telling people where their relatives actually are.  :sad:

I could have gone without knowing that his flank support consists entirely of Iraqi infantry, on both sides.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on April 09, 2016, 01:28:00 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2016, 10:27:56 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 08, 2016, 10:25:21 PM
Shit, I'm sorry to hear that Roger.

Thanks.  Ian himself is doing fine, it's just a bit of a shock finding out he's been in combat for 19 days when we had expected him to be sitting in a pile of sand fleas in Kuwait.  Needless to say, his mother is beside herself, having seen what ISIS does to prisoners.

Good to hear Ian is doing okay.

He's on the battery staff table, he only gets hurt if the whole unit gets wiped.  But thank you.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 09, 2016, 04:02:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2016, 11:24:59 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 08, 2016, 11:20:49 PM

Thanks.  Ian himself is doing fine, it's just a bit of a shock finding out he's been in combat for 19 days when we had expected him to be sitting in a pile of sand fleas in Kuwait.  Needless to say, his mother is beside herself, having seen what ISIS does to prisoners.

I make a point of never watching that shit, just on the off chance that my brother ends up in that particular sandbox anytime soon. Can I send cookies their way?

Unfortunately, I don't have a means by which to send him anything yet.  This was all kept secret until a day or two ago, so I don't have a mailing address.

If and when, ping me. I know shipping restrictions can be pretty tight.

I will certainly do so.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2016, 05:12:46 AM

He's on the battery staff table, he only gets hurt if the whole unit gets wiped.  But thank you.

What's a battery staff table? 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on April 09, 2016, 05:24:48 AM

The guys that plot the solutions for the artillery fire (ie, tells the guns where to aim).  He runs the communications side of it, both radio and electronic.

Pæs

Fuck, Roger. Just saw this on FaceSpace. Hoping for the best, man.

Meunster

Poe's law ;)

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2016, 05:33:08 AM
Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on April 09, 2016, 05:24:48 AM

The guys that plot the solutions for the artillery fire (ie, tells the guns where to aim).  He runs the communications side of it, both radio and electronic.

Neat!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on April 09, 2016, 08:23:11 AM
Fuck, Roger. Just saw this on FaceSpace. Hoping for the best, man.

well, this is a family thing, so I'm gonna worry the way MY parents worried, which is how THEIR parents worried, all the day back to the word dot.

Salty

I don't get as angry as I used to, that's a fact. Too much, too hot, for too long.

But then somebody will do or say something to/about my family, and all the old fires burn as hot as ever.

How are you gonna say some shit about a grieving mother? How are you gonna be catty and cowardly about somebody who hasn't taken a literal shit on your face? I just don't get it.

God damn, nothing gets me into the mood for violence like that. Except these God damned Harleys that come out of the new motorcycle shop next to me work.

TO HELL WITH AMERICA.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Meunster

Well nvm. I caught myself up on what's been happening.

I passed basic, I can spoon feed myself now.
Poe's law ;)

Cain

Quote from: Meunster on April 10, 2016, 01:54:06 AM
Well nvm. I caught myself up on what's been happening.

I passed basic, I can spoon feed myself now.

Have you learnt to eat soup with a knife yet?

Meunster

Poe's law ;)