News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Roger:  "The mount on the laser is kinda wonky, so if it swings your way, try to dodge the beam."

Operator:  "..."

I love my job.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Oh god, I may be in love with Libre Office.

When cutting and pasting from my first draft dissertation (I'm rearranging the paragraphs for better continuity) it automatically transfers and corrects the citations with no work on my part.

Word probably does this too, but for the amount of money Word costs, I would expect nothing less.  Libre Office, on the other hand, is completely free.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cain on May 03, 2016, 05:48:05 PM
Oh god, I may be in love with Libre Office.

When cutting and pasting from my first draft dissertation (I'm rearranging the paragraphs for better continuity) it automatically transfers and corrects the citations with no work on my part.

Word probably does this too, but for the amount of money Word costs, I would expect nothing less.  Libre Office, on the other hand, is completely free.

One issue I've had with it is sometimes the clipboard gets "stuck" (you paste something from another Libre Office document, then try to copy something from literally anything else and it just pastes the first thing).

Cain

Huh, that kinda sucks.  I fortunately didn't run into that problem.

Also, just officially submitted it.  6 days early too.  Should hear back in 3 weeks or so.

LMNO

Cain

Yeah, now I can chill for 2 days before going back to work.

And then, I can actually look for other work.

Freeky

The Wizard Joseph

So I'm in the process of clearing out and cleaning my shitty efficiency apartment of 4 years worth of collected stuff. By the end of May I'll be unofficial but very welcome roommate at several residences and using my dad's mailing address for important docs. This last 5 weeks or so I've been entirely fucking off and dealing with the horribly toxic inner world I hadn't even realized I'd built up over the last few years working for those bastards. It's the closest thing I've had to a real vacation in my adult life, sad as that is to say, and I'm finally feeling decompressed and ready to try figuring out my next moves.

My physical health has taken a hard slide down these last couple years and as with my mentality I barely noticed how far things had slid until I broke away from my employer. About 2 years ago I was in the best cardiovascular condition of my life from walking about 15 miles a day on average duty for 1st shift. After I switched to 2nd shift in an attempt to both expand my experience and get out of the toxic company politics the cardio dropped off as I started driving a delivery route and handling the wash and dry operations by myself into the evenings. Now after not really exerting myself physically for a month+ I'm pretty sure I'll die if I don't make my body my top priority. I'll die anyway, but I'd like to know what being really healthy feels like before then.

Also congratulations Cain!

Also Cainad, hang in there man. It sounds pretty bad sir. If your appetite has remained steady, but you otherwise have those symptoms, it is definitely something to have checked. I hope the best for you.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Thanks, and glad to hear things are going better for you.  I hear you on the body thing...now that I'm done with all my studies, I'm going to concentrate on dropping (even more) weight, then look for work elsewhere.  Working nights, along with the stress of this place, along with the stress of my degree, was a hell of a lot to handle.  Now the most important thing is resolved, and I can take care of the other two much more easily.

minuspace

Congratulations Cain! 

-- 

On the home front, all vehicles require repair.  Main laptop is current priority.  Not happy about prospects, need to replace logic board, again.  OS was seven years old and won't talk to the new ones. I may have to choose between being either entirely stuck in the past, or the future.  I resent this, deeply.

If anyone has dealt with this recently I'd love to hear about it. 

Freeky

I was donating plama today and the needle kept slipping around and it ended up "infiltrating," (exactly what I'm not sure) but now I have a horrible bruise and it better be better by Friday because I need that 8th donation of the month bonus.  Stupid veins and blood and stuff.

Freeky

Da6s

Bought my first new car on Monday. Brought her home yesterday. 2016 Subaru Forrester. Was expecting the process to take all month. It only took about 3 hours.

Had finished paying one loan off. Now the car loan is for the same amount. In debt again, but eh, this car ideally will last me 10 - 15 years. Hell, the honda accord that was at the end of it's life before i gave it up for the navy made it 9 years & 140k miles with me, so I'm optimistic.

Dad's treatments are done. Now he's on pills until next Sept. I'm driving to CO over memorial day weekend for 2 weeks. While there, I'm going to decide if I can live with myself by being 22 hours away again & mainly driving back to TN 2 times a year for a few weeks so I see the parents more, & potentially moving back when/if his health deteriorates. Was planning to stay close, but then allergy season broke me. If I opt to move back to paradise, I'll make my exodus sometime in July. Ideally it would've been 4th of july, but I now have Garbage tickets in Knoxville July 18th, and since I've a shirley manson obsession anyways, that may warrant another few weeks.

2017 is going to be a helluva year. I turn 30, 2 weddings (one which will be AWESOME in london), mardi gras, & climbing trolltunga.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Freeky

Why does black floor tile cost so damn much?  The cheapest I've found so far is about $2.50/sqft.  Do they think no one will buy black glazed ceramic, and so all black tile must be porcelain or natural stone?

Trivial

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on May 05, 2016, 02:50:28 AM
Why does black floor tile cost so damn much?  The cheapest I've found so far is about $2.50/sqft.  Do they think no one will buy black glazed ceramic, and so all black tile must be porcelain or natural stone?

High demand from satanists.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.