Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Quote from: Emo Howard on May 08, 2016, 02:57:24 PM
So, the trash cans at the gas station I work at are an absolute disaster. Wider at the bottom than at the top, all kinds of inside corners, and rivets that hold on the signs on the outside poke through, all of which snag the trash bag, and rip it when trying to pull out the bags which are often stuffed beyond capacity with cups nearly full of beverages, construction waste (pieces of lumber, and/or cinder blocks), and tobacco spit bottles, and the contents of a few ashtrays. Whenever we pull them out, the bag disintegrates, and we have to stuff the bag into another bag before we can load it into the cart, and pick the spilled garbage up and put it back in the bag. Invariably getting ourselves thoroughly coated in garbage juice. THE REQUIRED VINYL GLOVES DO NOTHING!!!

As I was taking out the trash last night, it occurred to me that it seemed like these trash cans were never designed to be used as trash cans, but rather trash can holders, and that somewhere out there was a trash can that fits down inside these things. So I did some research, and I think I have found them.

http://www.forteproductsolutions.com/c-store-and-gas-station-equipment/pump-island-equipment/contourtm-all-in-one-wastewindshield-service-center/

Quote8001289   Hard Plastic InnerLiner   Black   39 Gallon   18.5"W x 12.0"D x 31.0"H

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forte-Product-Solutions-39-Gal-Hard-Plastic-Inner-Liner-/391365313950?hash=item5b1f30c59e

One of the websites I found that sold them referred to them as "optional plastic liner".  Not fucking optional, guys.

NOT. FUCKING. OPTIONAL.

Quote from: LuciferX on May 08, 2016, 07:32:46 PM
All plastic trash bags now coated by the state with un-tearable cloth fabric, recycled from courier pouches, optional faux ostrich finish by
Galiano
, while supplies last.

I suspect the plastic liner otherwise has a tendency of becoming it's own stand-alone trash can (that's what mine looks like)

Yeah, the restaurant I used to work at was so cheap when it came to supplies that we used the liners and the cans, both, as trash cans because we were running out of trash cans.

Fortunately for us, the back patio of the restaurant was raised to the height of the dumpster that was right in front of the patio, so all we had to do was dump the shit.

Then I worked at a movie theater that didn't have liners at all. That yummy buttery, soda-y soup got on your shoes every time. You couldn't buy trash bags strong enough.

Quote from: Cain on May 08, 2016, 05:08:51 PM
Emo Howard, it seems like your work is eating from the trashcan of trashcan ideology.

Also, Zizek reference?
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

POFP

This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Freeky

Quote from: Fernando Poo on May 08, 2016, 01:32:34 PM
Does anyone have a link to the thread where everyone made up positive, corporate vocabulary for awful things? I saw the thread awhile ago and had some funny thoughts. Now I can't find it.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=36846.0

POFP

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on May 09, 2016, 05:54:46 AM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on May 08, 2016, 01:32:34 PM
Does anyone have a link to the thread where everyone made up positive, corporate vocabulary for awful things? I saw the thread awhile ago and had some funny thoughts. Now I can't find it.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=36846.0

This was a wonderful thread. Unfortunately, this is not the one I was referring to. It is similar, though.

The one I was looking for focused on transforming vocabulary like "Child labor camps" into "Youth Employed Cost Centers" or something much much funnier.

I appreciate the help, though. I may look for it again when I have time.

Bruno

Quote from: rong on May 08, 2016, 03:55:55 PM
maybe putting some tape or something over the rivets would reduce the snagging?

I thought about doing something like that, though out of the 3 major problems, the rivets are the least worst. The department manager has talked about running out the trash twice per day instead of just once, which would probably solve the problem. If they're 3/4 full or less, I don't have any trouble with them, But I am also a 6 ft. tall male of average strength. Height and strength are both major advantages in this task.
Formerly something else...

Bruno

Quote from: Cain on May 08, 2016, 05:08:51 PM
Emo Howard, it seems like your work is eating from the trashcan of trashcan ideology.

I just wonder if this was simple oversight, or if they did the math, and decided that the savings of $150 from not getting the five liners outweighed the labor savings of 15 minutes per day over the service life of 5 or so years of the equipment. By my math, that works out to about $50,000.

Also, there's the safety issue of having an employee spending 15 more minutes per day distracted and struggling, standing between two lanes of fairly high volume traffic of people who seem more focused on getting their fuel point discounts than they are on not driving like idiots.

But we got those shiny yellow vests, so I guess it's all good.

Bruno

All plastic trash bags now coated by the state with un-tearable cloth fabric, recycled from courier pouches, optional faux ostrich finish by
Galiano
, while supplies last.

I suspect the plastic liner otherwise has a tendency of becoming it's own stand-alone trash can (that's what mine looks like)

True. These are really trash can holders moreso than actual trash cans. *

*actual trash can "optional"

Trivial

Oh so Khan is the new London mayor.  How long before Deerborn memes become repurposed to London memes?
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

minuspace

Quote from: Emo Howard on May 09, 2016, 02:26:58 PM
Galiano
, while supplies last.

True. These are really trash can holders moreso than actual trash cans. *

*actual trash can "optional"

Design team suggested keeping outer can and reshaping inner can to be wider on top than bottom.  Can't stand alone.   Extra outer space to maybe fit more site-specific needs.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

LMNO

Let me know what you guys think about this train of thought before I post it on social media:

An explanation of all those Common Core v Traditional Arithmetic complaints:

Let's say you're in a cooking class, one which is graded by a teacher.

You spend a semester learning how to sharpen, hold, and slice with a six-inch chef's knife.

You have a test where you must dice an onion.

You peel an onion and throw it into a food processor.

Even though you end up with a diced onion, you didn't use any skills you were taught that semester, and the teacher says you did it "wrong".

You complain that the onion ended up diced, and argue that using a knife is stupid.

Cain

Not that I know too much about Common Core...but it sounds about right.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on May 11, 2016, 03:43:02 PM
Let me know what you guys think about this train of thought before I post it on social media:

An explanation of all those Common Core v Traditional Arithmetic complaints:

Let's say you're in a cooking class, one which is graded by a teacher.

You spend a semester learning how to sharpen, hold, and slice with a six-inch chef's knife.

You have a test where you must dice an onion.

You peel an onion and throw it into a food processor.

Even though you end up with a diced onion, you didn't use any skills you were taught that semester, and the teacher says you did it "wrong".

You complain that the onion ended up diced, and argue that using a knife is stupid.

Because I just woke up, and haven't been good at making connections recently, I don't get it.  But then, I was finishing high school when common core became a thing, so I don't really know what it is.

Cain

Based on my understanding, it's more about focusing on the techniques to get correct answers than getting correct answers themselves.  Basically "show your work" turned up to 11.