Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I like LMNO's framing there.

I feel like a lot of the objection to common core is that the adults in this metaphor always used food processors and can't fathom their kids being taught anything different.

minuspace

I followed a different curriculum and also had similar problems with the food processor.  Because the final exam was timed, I had become dependent on making preparatory measures on the food-processor (calculator), that would not entirely result in me also showing my working, to the detriment of my grade.  Although this sucked for me way back then, it accurately expressed how the food-processor detracted from my capacity to think-through and hold together the 'process' of cooking.

Freeky

Xaz, 11 is 4th grade, or the second-to-last year of elementary school (unless that elementary school has 6th, also).  That's when kids start learning their multiplication and division, and fractions.  Even in 8th, I still remember going through fractions and geometry.  Algebra wasn't until 9th, when kids were STILL having problems with x and /.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on May 11, 2016, 08:04:00 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 11, 2016, 06:40:25 PM
I'm going to argue that, in that the knife might not always be the stupid way to do it, and you should probably be proficient in using a knife if you are going to be a cook.

Good point, and I do think it's useful to have some of the tables memorized. 

The main argument I'm seeing though, is that people are seeing two different things as "wrong".  The teachers are seeing that the kids haven't learned the techniques, and the parents (usually, it's the parents) are seeing that the answer was right, so who cares about the technique?

Speaking as a tradesman by training, the method is as important as the results.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

As a parent who helps his kid with math I definitely know the pain of needing specific techniques.  My daughter also takes after me in hating to show her work.  Fortunately for me she's home schooling (online charter) so the lesson is right there if I don't understand it.

Cainad (dec.)

Cainad complains:

The doc diagnosed typical hyperthyroidism, which explains very clearly why I lost 20 pounds in three months and my resting heart rate was over 100. So for now I'm Grabbin' Pillz.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed. I was in the best physical shape of my life 6 months ago, and now I can barely do a push-up without feeling like I'm dying.

Anyone got advice for getting fat?

MMIX

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on May 12, 2016, 06:59:24 PM
Cainad complains:

The doc diagnosed typical hyperthyroidism, which explains very clearly why I lost 20 pounds in three months and my resting heart rate was over 100. So for now I'm Grabbin' Pillz.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed. I was in the best physical shape of my life 6 months ago, and now I can barely do a push-up without feeling like I'm dying.

Anyone got advice for getting fat?

Hypothyroidism. Works like a charm!

More seriously, once they get your thyroid levels re-balanced your weight should sort itself out.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Cramulus

Help me locate a thread... I recall there being a great thread around here where somebody was talking about That Good Anarchist Utopia and people smacked some sense into him. Actually there's probably a dozen threads like that.

Where did the "I'm gonna take your sandwich" meme come from?

I need to smack some sense into a deluded anarchist and I think that thread might have been a right and proper Chair Leg of Truth.

Freeky

Quote from: Cramulus on May 12, 2016, 08:59:15 PM
Help me locate a thread... I recall there being a great thread around here where somebody was talking about That Good Anarchist Utopia and people smacked some sense into him. Actually there's probably a dozen threads like that.

I need to smack some sense into a deluded anarchist and I think that thread might have been a right and proper Chair Leg of Truth.

Was that one of Captain Utopia's?  It kind of sounds like the one he ended up going full potato over and that's why he changed his name to "Captain Utopia."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on May 12, 2016, 08:59:15 PM

I used it first, but I stole it from the "Wayne Brady" episode of David Chapelle.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Logic board replaced.  Machine booted, performed backup.  HDD then proceeded to corrupt it's own boot sector, all by itself, and launchd shit the bed.  Such are the dangers of domesticated unix.

POFP

When I breathe in just above normal amounts, I get a very very sharp pain in my chest just under where I suppose my heart is. Feels like something is pressing on my ribs or stabbing me there. Shortly after the pain, I have to take shallow breaths. And I have to avoid yawning or the pain becomes so much that I would probably pass out. I went to sneeze earlier and the pain was so bad the sneeze stopped mid-start. This kinda thing happens from time to time but usually only lasts a few minutes. It's been going on for an hour or so now. Should I go to the doctor?
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Fernando Poo on May 15, 2016, 07:31:10 PM
When I breathe in just above normal amounts, I get a very very sharp pain in my chest just under where I suppose my heart is. Feels like something is pressing on my ribs or stabbing me there. Shortly after the pain, I have to take shallow breaths. And I have to avoid yawning or the pain becomes so much that I would probably pass out. I went to sneeze earlier and the pain was so bad the sneeze stopped mid-start. This kinda thing happens from time to time but usually only lasts a few minutes. It's been going on for an hour or so now. Should I go to the doctor?

That sounds horrible and at least "call the doctor's office" worthy.

minuspace

Intercostal cramp?

---

Bad sector(s) on drive preventing bootable clone of HD.  Relevant good files stuck on time-machine.  Why do I use time-machine?