News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2016, 06:10:12 PM
So, Windows 10 attempted to install on my computer without my permission.

That was...fun.

It is now an unlabeled "recommended upgrade".   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2016, 06:43:38 PM

That was...fun.

Yeah, after some internet trawling once I uninstalled the spyware, I found a couple of articles to that effect.

Thanks, Microsoft!  I love spending my break time at work uninstalling shit.

Speaking of work, after my boss' hilarious backpedaling yesterday, he for some reason felt it appropriate to send me this email:

QuoteHi Both,

Many thanks for taking the time to meet with me yesterday evening to discuss the unauthorised visitor concerns.

You have both made me aware you have a good working relationship with one another and that you are happy working the night shifts with no medical or emotional concerns with your current shift pattern of work.

I would just like to reiterate the college/accommodation responsibilities are quite clear when are dealing with students, engagement awareness being the key factors here.

Please ensure when especially manning the front reception desk that we remain visual, attentive and engaging to all who are entering and departing the building 24hrs a day.

We cannot afford to allow unauthorised personnel into the building, we have a duty of care to all that reside here and must do our upmost to protect  -

·         We are to monitor guests to the residence, ensuring all guest leave at the appointed time – All overnight guest to be valid, signed off and documented  accordingly.

Any further incidences' of this nature may well lead to a more serious and formal outcome.

Emphasis in the original.

When I asked, I was informed yesterday this was not an official disciplinary meeting or process.  So I'm unsure exactly how I should respond to the above.  I'm torn between giving it all the merit it deserves by emailing it to my backup email address and deleting it, or responding in some petty, vindictive manner.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2016, 11:27:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2016, 06:43:38 PM

That was...fun.

Yeah, after some internet trawling once I uninstalled the spyware, I found a couple of articles to that effect.

Thanks, Microsoft!  I love spending my break time at work uninstalling shit.

Speaking of work, after my boss' hilarious backpedaling yesterday, he for some reason felt it appropriate to send me this email:

QuoteHi Both,

Many thanks for taking the time to meet with me yesterday evening to discuss the unauthorised visitor concerns.

You have both made me aware you have a good working relationship with one another and that you are happy working the night shifts with no medical or emotional concerns with your current shift pattern of work.

I would just like to reiterate the college/accommodation responsibilities are quite clear when are dealing with students, engagement awareness being the key factors here.

Please ensure when especially manning the front reception desk that we remain visual, attentive and engaging to all who are entering and departing the building 24hrs a day.

We cannot afford to allow unauthorised personnel into the building, we have a duty of care to all that reside here and must do our upmost to protect  -

·         We are to monitor guests to the residence, ensuring all guest leave at the appointed time – All overnight guest to be valid, signed off and documented  accordingly.

Any further incidences' of this nature may well lead to a more serious and formal outcome.

Emphasis in the original.

When I asked, I was informed yesterday this was not an official disciplinary meeting or process.  So I'm unsure exactly how I should respond to the above.  I'm torn between giving it all the merit it deserves by emailing it to my backup email address and deleting it, or responding in some petty, vindictive manner.

well, you know my vote.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Sung Low

Arse. I could do with getting stoned. I've gotten ten barrelfulls of drunk the last couple of years, and it did help me to sharpen my brain down to a point, but I'm done with the anger and depression it brings with it. I am TEN TONS OF LOVE, wrapped up in MEATSACK OF HATE ANd BILE when I could be 100 Tons of HATE tempered by a billion hugs OF YOUR FINEST UNdERSTAdING. Shitting meatbags. Why should I care? I care because I do. I have a city full of targets and no focus. drinking has now become a distraction, a detraction from who I am. I ain't no stoner either, but I do miss that feeling. I hate their soporific idea of love.

I'd rather you didn't reply.

The d key has chosen to absent itself

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 20, 2016, 02:00:51 AM
well, you know my vote.

True, and when you put it like that, I almost feel obliged.

Still, with my 5 hours of fuzzy sleep, I think I'm going to nuture this new hatred a bit.  Keep it fresh in my heart until Monday.

Pæs

That... wow that is something.

It almost reads like at attempt to establish a document trail for a reframing of the story which makes boss seem more favorable. Like "If I can just sneak some criticisms in there, some unrequired reminders of basic job requirements, subtly enough that I'm not called out, I can refer to it later as a pattern of issues", if the boss was actual capable of subtlety or scheming at all.

Cain

Yeah.  Sadly for him, I have about 10 times as many emails proving the exact opposite on this issue alone.  :lulz:  "So I cared so little about unauthorized guests I spent an entire night trying to match passport photos to CCTV and read 4 months worth of handovers and sign-in/out forms on this date alone?  Please, do continue." 

More importantly, I (kinda, insofar as I needed the money) cared up until about, oh, the 9th of the May.  If he wanted to pick a fight with me, he picked about the worst time ever to do it.  My plans for this summer are save money, slim down, and look for other jobs, but I can always skip straight to the third if I want.

minuspace

Accidentally chugged a sugar-free variant of some fortified beverage today.  Bitterness leveled the heavens and postponed all flights scheduled for today.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Pergamos

Quote from: Pæs on May 20, 2016, 07:36:21 AM
That... wow that is something.

It almost reads like at attempt to establish a document trail for a reframing of the story which makes boss seem more favorable. Like "If I can just sneak some criticisms in there, some unrequired reminders of basic job requirements, subtly enough that I'm not called out, I can refer to it later as a pattern of issues", if the boss was actual capable of subtlety or scheming at all.

The monitoring of guests and ensuring that they leave on time, and so forth, suggest to me that you should be making all students sign in, or at least check in with he desk on entering and exiting, but I have always been a fan f over applying the rules to the detriment of actual performance when faced with stupid from management.

Cain

We used to have a system like that...but the colleges whined (because the students whined about the great unfairness of having to sign in and out) and the system got scrapped.

Ever since then, I've asked on a monthly basis how I am meant to determine who isn't a resident without interrogating everyone who enters.  I have not been given a sufficient answer.

Junkenstein

Here's one for fun:

ID cards and a swipe in/out system with punitive financial penalties for not signing in/out guests.

Obviously that's totally impossible or unworkable into something that would actually fit the fucking purpose. I assume you have mentioned the concept of "fire" and "headcounts after evacuation" and "finding an unknown kid burnt to death because you have neglected control of the simplest and most immediate part of building management being bad for business".

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Apparently my initial suggestions along those lines are "too robust"  :lulz:

I mean, we could just replace the inner door with a ID-operated turnstile...like the ones they have in the actual college itself.  But that's probably too "robust" as well.

POFP

At my GF's college, they have an ID operated door, and you have to sign every guest in on weekends. Except that no one gives a shit, and you can wait outside the door until someone opens it for you from the inside or outside. And no one will ask questions as long as you look like a teacher, student, anyone from age 15 to 30 anyone.

But seriously, ID operated Turnstile is straight up genius. That like, fills every single demand that they had...

This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Good Reverend Roger

If you see Suu on Facebook, congratulate her.  She just got her masters degree.