News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Quote from: Cain on May 29, 2016, 11:22:07 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on May 29, 2016, 11:13:54 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 29, 2016, 08:20:58 PM
So, Inland Revenue finally returned the money they over-taxed me for a couple of years back, and I'm looking to spend some of my newly re-acquired wealth on a laptop.

I'm thinking a Dell Inspiron 15.  I mostly want something for travel, word processing and internet browing, but I thought I'd solicit feedback here as well.

What's your ideal cost? Also, what is the most you would pay?

I'm looking at around £500-700 for spending.  Not sure what that is in Trumpbux exactly.

About 780 Trumpbux if I used Google correctly.

Would you be ok with this laptop being able to game? I'm shooting for most power and functionality for cost.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Cain

Eh, I don't mind.

I mean, I planned on installing Morrowind so I could waste time in the office in a more interesting way, but given how old that game is I'd be surprised if any computer had trouble running it.  So beyond that, I don't especially care.  That said, more power would be helpful for running newer iterations of office, multiple internet browsing tabs etc, so sure, why not.  GPU doesn't need to be flashy, but a nice processor and decent RAM is never bad.

SSD is unnecessary though.

POFP

Quote from: Cain on May 30, 2016, 12:09:24 AM
Eh, I don't mind.

I mean, I planned on installing Morrowind so I could waste time in the office in a more interesting way, but given how old that game is I'd be surprised if any computer had trouble running it.  So beyond that, I don't especially care.  That said, more power would be helpful for running newer iterations of office, multiple internet browsing tabs etc, so sure, why not.  GPU doesn't need to be flashy, but a nice processor and decent RAM is never bad.

SSD is unnecessary though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315164

An upgrade from what you were looking at.

Not sure how you feel about Windows 10, though.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Cain

Well, I'm OK with a new computer having windows 10.  I just don't want it on the desktop, because that is more for games, and I've heard of lots of people having worse performance after upgrading. 

Since Morrowind is literally pixel people with potato frame rates, I'm OK with that.

Edit: Computer specs do look good.  However it's currently unavailable for the UK :(

POFP

Quote from: Cain on May 30, 2016, 12:40:47 AM
Well, I'm OK with a new computer having windows 10.  I just don't want it on the desktop, because that is more for games, and I've heard of lots of people having worse performance after upgrading. 

Since Morrowind is literally pixel people with potato frame rates, I'm OK with that.

Edit: Computer specs do look good.  However it's currently unavailable for the UK :(

We apologize for the fault in the website. Those responsible have been sacked.

Searching elsewhere while sacking those responsible for sacking the people who've been sacked.

POFP

Sorry, had to leave work in a hurry last night before I could do some more digging for laptops. Will complete my search as I get time at work today.

Cain

It's cool, no worries.  I appreciate you taking the time to hae a look around.  Apparently a lot has changed since I bought a laptop way back in....2011  :|

POFP

Quote from: Cain on May 30, 2016, 06:25:30 PM
It's cool, no worries.  I appreciate you taking the time to hae a look around.  Apparently a lot has changed since I bought a laptop way back in....2011  :|

No problem man. I remember looking around for a laptop for my GF awhile back and I found some pretty insane deals. She ended up getting a laptop that, at the time, should have cost about 900-1200 dollars. She got it for just under 500 dollars. Now, at the moment, I can't find any deals that huge. But I am finding a few in your range, or just above, that are pretty awesome.

Take a look at this

Gonna put together a little list to choose from of things like this. Will probably compile them in the next post or so. But I'll post a couple as I find them to see if you have any objections.

Which reminds me: Do you prefer Intel or AMD processors? And would you sacrifice a little reliability by getting AMD to get more RAM, Graphics power, or HD space?

minuspace

Got my new logic board back from Ohio last week.  I'm supposed to replace it today (again), get back in the saddle and so forth...  Thing is, I'm really starting to resent fixing a thing that is blatantly designed to not facilitate its repair.  Okay, I may overlook that hex-pentalope screw-head nastiness, because, no harm; however, flipping the ABSOLUTE last connector, connecting CPU to heatsink, to connect with the FLIMSIEST jack of them all, on the REVERSE of the board, too small for EVEN THE TIP of the spudger...  They knew exactly what that meant.  That's just fucking evil.

Cain

Quote from: Fernando Poo on May 30, 2016, 10:34:49 PM

No problem man. I remember looking around for a laptop for my GF awhile back and I found some pretty insane deals. She ended up getting a laptop that, at the time, should have cost about 900-1200 dollars. She got it for just under 500 dollars. Now, at the moment, I can't find any deals that huge. But I am finding a few in your range, or just above, that are pretty awesome.

Take a look at this

Gonna put together a little list to choose from of things like this. Will probably compile them in the next post or so. But I'll post a couple as I find them to see if you have any objections.

Which reminds me: Do you prefer Intel or AMD processors? And would you sacrifice a little reliability by getting AMD to get more RAM, Graphics power, or HD space?

I have no real preferences processor wise.  My desktop uses AMD, but previous laptops have used Intel and I've had no problems.  A little bit more RAM is always nice...not so much for gaming, but having multiple tabs on a browser, a word processor running, music playing etc all at once can strain a system.

Cain

Quote from: LuciferX on May 30, 2016, 11:07:12 PM
Got my new logic board back from Ohio last week.  I'm supposed to replace it today (again), get back in the saddle and so forth...  Thing is, I'm really starting to resent fixing a thing that is blatantly designed to not facilitate its repair.  Okay, I may overlook that hex-pentalope screw-head nastiness, because, no harm; however, flipping the ABSOLUTE last connector, connecting CPU to heatsink, to connect with the FLIMSIEST jack of them all, on the REVERSE of the board, too small for EVEN THE TIP of the spudger...  They knew exactly what that meant.  That's just fucking evil.

I think the idea is to make you buy a new one.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on May 31, 2016, 05:53:55 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on May 30, 2016, 10:34:49 PM

Take a look at this

I have no real preferences processor wise.  My desktop uses AMD, but previous laptops have used Intel and I've had no problems.  A little bit more RAM is always nice...not so much for gaming, but having multiple tabs on a browser, a word processor running, music playing etc all at once can strain a system.

Junkie's first rule of IT purchasing - you're never just buying one thing. Consider bullshitting your local PC hole that the "educational establishment that you represent" is looking to purchase 50+ laptops for students along with software/maintenance etc. But first the treasurer wants 1 only to use over the summer to check reliability etc.

You may just be able to bag something a touch above spec for the same cash, done right. (Make sure it's cash so you can "claim it back out of petty cash"). If you get an idiot and a good deal, great. If not, you know exactly what you're looking for online. Also, don't be shy about comparing prices on your phone in front of them. Always a fun reaction, particularly if they're selling it as a good deal.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Workplace came up with a term "intrepreneur" it makes me angry.  Even more so that it is there to "stimulate interest in millennial employees"
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Gotta put off the write up on account of I'm busy as hell and they still haven't released the damn pics.

:tgrr:

I find it absolutely unreasonable that I should have to work at work.  At any rate, I'm here overnight on Thursday, and I'll write it up with or without pics.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.