News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on May 31, 2016, 07:34:15 PM
Workplace came up with a term "intrepreneur" it makes me angry.  Even more so that it is there to "stimulate interest in millennial employees"

You're allowed to punch people when they do that.

Or at the very least, go to HR about age discrimination.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

There is a fly the size of my thumb flying around my office.  Nobody mentioned demonic flies when I accepted this job.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Workplace came up with a term "intrepreneur" it makes me angry.  Even more so that it is there to "stimulate interest in millennial employees"

Insist on clarification of meaning. I'm pretty sure this is a term in a Dilbert book.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Trivial

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 31, 2016, 09:54:44 PM

Insist on clarification of meaning. I'm pretty sure this is a term in a Dilbert book.

Whoops it's not a new term. It's something execs decided to use until I hate. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Junkenstein

Insist on clarification anyway. There's no way to use a bullshit term like that without the explanation involving multiple other bullshit terms.

Then apply V3x/LMNO and await corporate meltdown. 
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Trivial

Guess I'm still stuck in the internal kickstarter.  Advertising that they gave $2000 to everyone to invest in projects, when the money was never real, but hey millions of dollars were invested. Did you know millions were invested? Have you invested yet???? They managed to take an idea that was kinda neat and make me hate it.

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 31, 2016, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 31, 2016, 05:53:55 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on May 30, 2016, 10:34:49 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 30, 2016, 06:25:30 PM
It's cool, no worries.  I appreciate you taking the time to hae a look around.  Apparently a lot has changed since I bought a laptop way back in....2011  :|

No problem man. I remember looking around for a laptop for my GF awhile back and I found some pretty insane deals. She ended up getting a laptop that, at the time, should have cost about 900-1200 dollars. She got it for just under 500 dollars. Now, at the moment, I can't find any deals that huge. But I am finding a few in your range, or just above, that are pretty awesome.

Take a look at this

Gonna put together a little list to choose from of things like this. Will probably compile them in the next post or so. But I'll post a couple as I find them to see if you have any objections.

Which reminds me: Do you prefer Intel or AMD processors? And would you sacrifice a little reliability by getting AMD to get more RAM, Graphics power, or HD space?

I have no real preferences processor wise.  My desktop uses AMD, but previous laptops have used Intel and I've had no problems.  A little bit more RAM is always nice...not so much for gaming, but having multiple tabs on a browser, a word processor running, music playing etc all at once can strain a system.

Junkie's first rule of IT purchasing - you're never just buying one thing. Consider bullshitting your local PC hole that the "educational establishment that you represent" is looking to purchase 50+ laptops for students along with software/maintenance etc. But first the treasurer wants 1 only to use over the summer to check reliability etc.

You may just be able to bag something a touch above spec for the same cash, done right. (Make sure it's cash so you can "claim it back out of petty cash"). If you get an idiot and a good deal, great. If not, you know exactly what you're looking for online. Also, don't be shy about comparing prices on your phone in front of them. Always a fun reaction, particularly if they're selling it as a good deal.

Eh, all I really want is a word processor which can surf the internet.  I'm not really sure if it is worth quite that much effort...

Thanks for the advice though, I'll probably use it when updating my desktop.

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on May 31, 2016, 05:54:29 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 30, 2016, 11:07:12 PM
Got my new logic board back from Ohio last week.  I'm supposed to replace it today (again), get back in the saddle and so forth...  Thing is, I'm really starting to resent fixing a thing that is blatantly designed to not facilitate its repair.  Okay, I may overlook that hex-pentalope screw-head nastiness, because, no harm; however, flipping the ABSOLUTE last connector, connecting CPU to heatsink, to connect with the FLIMSIEST jack of them all, on the REVERSE of the board, too small for EVEN THE TIP of the spudger...  They knew exactly what that meant.  That's just fucking evil.

I think the idea is to make you buy a new one.
Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on May 31, 2016, 07:31:08 PM
I get fairly good deals on used equipment.  New is meh.
Yea, can't really afford a whole new one, and I buy things so infrequently that my comparative bargaining skills approach zero.  Even if I successfully fix this one, it's not really equipped to run the new shit.  Makes the whole effort seem like extortion.

Trivial

Quote from: LuciferX on May 31, 2016, 10:51:03 PM
Got my new logic board back from Ohio last week.  I'm supposed to replace it today (again), get back in the saddle and so forth...  Thing is, I'm really starting to resent fixing a thing that is blatantly designed to not facilitate its repair.  Okay, I may overlook that hex-pentalope screw-head nastiness, because, no harm; however, flipping the ABSOLUTE last connector, connecting CPU to heatsink, to connect with the FLIMSIEST jack of them all, on the REVERSE of the board, too small for EVEN THE TIP of the spudger...  They knew exactly what that meant.  That's just fucking evil.

Yea, can't really afford a whole new one, and I buy things so infrequently that my comparative bargaining skills approach zero.  Even if I successfully fix this one, it's not really equipped to run the new shit.  Makes the whole effort seem like extortion.

Well, laptops are on here mostly, a couple desktops, I can pm you my login if you want to check it out.

Junkenstein

QuoteEh, all I really want is a word processor which can surf the internet.  I'm not really sure if it is worth quite that much effort...

Depends how much use you're going to put it to.

I've been using an acer E5 something heavily(generally 6-18 hours live out of any given day) for about a year and can't complain. Able to run 200+ mods(No graphics/enb's because I don't care, could test if you're curious) on skyrim without any real issues as well as crap in the background, usually another 4-6 programs depending on what I'm fucking about with. For general office/gaming/internets I can't really fault it. 4GB ram and I've only felt it to be an issue a handful of times. Pillars of Eternity's load times springs to mind. That said, I'm still pretty confident it'll run Bannerlord when that finally drops too. Pretty much anything will word process and internet so I'd look at just getting something that beats the highest recommended specs of a game you'll either be playing or intend to.

You're basically picking between a 2-300 decent refurb, 4-500 something new or 2K+ for idiot tech that's never worth it. Dealer's choice between the first two options to my mind. Faust/Paes may be worth a word with.

Trivial

minuspace

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on June 01, 2016, 12:18:47 AM

Well, laptops are on here mostly, a couple desktops, I can pm you my login if you want to check it out.
Just now finished putting the darn thing (laptop) back together, without again stripping a single screw.  In a few minutes I'll rally the courage to turn it on, or, just in case the silver compound needs to set a little.  I would really be gratefull for that PM if this fix doesn't work out [results forthcoming].  Actually, I feel a lot better about this just because of that gesture.  Thank you.

Trivial

Quote from: LuciferX on June 01, 2016, 01:42:21 AM
Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on June 01, 2016, 12:18:47 AM

Just now finished putting the darn thing (laptop) back together, without again stripping a single screw.  In a few minutes I'll rally the courage to turn it on, or, just in case the silver compound needs to set a little.  I would really be gratefull for that PM if this fix doesn't work out [results forthcoming].  Actually, I feel a lot better about this just because of that gesture.  Thank you.

K sent it.  Might have to wait a day or so, I'm seeing the cheaper items out of stock.  They replenish frequently though.

POFP

Cain, I kinda agree with Junkie. I tend to assert my own tech purchasing habits on other people when I look for deals for them. What you want can be easily obtained for 400 bucks in a refurbished computer. I can continue to try and find a fkn siiiick laptop for your maximum price range, and it will do more than what you currently want to do with it, for if you ever get the urge to do more with it. But you could easily spend the simple 400 on something reasonably functional and spend the rest/save the rest.

It's up to you.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

East Coast Hustle

So I don't bother posting about my life ITT very much because I figure anyone who cares probably already sees it on facebook but I can't talk about this on FB because my current employers would no doubt see it, so...

I just completed my application for my TWIC and I have an appointment in a couple weeks to bring my documents and my fingers for printing to a physical location to complete the process and then I will be able to get my MMC and then I will be able to take that sweet gig with the tug company and get fat paid to do runs between here and AK or HI.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"