News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 29, 2016, 12:49:03 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 12:10:36 AM
She stopped practicing (and teaching) in 2006.

She should really know better, then, unless she was already deep into woo at that point.

None of which makes me feel like she would be a good political leader. She's just not... sharp enough.

The only thing I can think of is that it is extreme pandering towards the aforementioned lunatic section of the population.  Not only was she teaching, she was doing so at Harvard Medical School.  I'd imagine in that kind of environment you'd have to be competitive, simply because the name alone confers the kind of prestige some people would actually, let alone academically, kill you for.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 29, 2016, 01:18:55 AM
And that's 2 more, for pointing out that voting for Trump because you're butthurt is the act of shitting on what passes for your own principles.  That you don't have principles, you have a hobby.

Are you suggesting knee-jerk contrarianism and "fighting the establishment" are not in fact solid principles?

Cain

In other news, my current not-a-smartphone phone is dying.  As such, I've decided to move into the 2010s and get a smartphone.  Assuming, this time, the company in question doesn't decide my banking history is "too irregular" and refuses me service again, like they did in 2011 (all those drug dealers?  Yeah, that's cool.  Bank screws up your address?  FUCK NO, NO POCKET COMPUTER FOR YOU).

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 01:33:51 AM

Are you suggesting knee-jerk contrarianism and "fighting the establishment" are not in fact solid principles?

Yes.  I am also suggesting that massive stern damage is not a solid principle.

Really, the whining is getting out of hand.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 01:38:52 AM
In other news, my current not-a-smartphone phone is dying.  As such, I've decided to move into the 2010s and get a smartphone.  Assuming, this time, the company in question doesn't decide my banking history is "too irregular" and refuses me service again, like they did in 2011 (all those drug dealers?  Yeah, that's cool.  Bank screws up your address?  FUCK NO, NO POCKET COMPUTER FOR YOU).

Do they not have "no-contract" phones in Britain? I recently ended my service to swap over to a new, much more anonymous, method. Losing my old number is going to be mildly inconvenient, but a I got a new $100 Boost smartphone for $40 after some bargain hunting and will be paying about $35 per month from now on, all cash.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

They do, but for smartphones they're a lot more expensive.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 01:33:51 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 29, 2016, 12:49:03 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 12:10:36 AM
She stopped practicing (and teaching) in 2006.

She should really know better, then, unless she was already deep into woo at that point.

None of which makes me feel like she would be a good political leader. She's just not... sharp enough.

The only thing I can think of is that it is extreme pandering towards the aforementioned lunatic section of the population.  Not only was she teaching, she was doing so at Harvard Medical School.  I'd imagine in that kind of environment you'd have to be competitive, simply because the name alone confers the kind of prestige some people would actually, let alone academically, kill you for.

That actually makes the most sense of anything, because she's not stupid. So she's just pandering to the stupid because she thinks it will win her votes. Another day, another politician, I guess.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

edit to remove completely out of context reply to something I can't find anymore.

I've probably been sniffing glue.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

And then Cain joined the Pokémon Go horde.

[edit] Join us, we have cookies.

trix

I have a certain group of friends trying really hard to convince me to waste my vote writing in bernie.

I just don't understand.  Nobody likes Clinton, but how is keeping Trump away from political power not the #1 goal of this election???
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

trix

Luckily nobody is unfriending me for this (in real life -- I deleted my FB long ago), but those particular friends are very adamant that if I could just see their point of view, we could get bernie elected anyway and save the world or whatever.

If Trump wins I'm buying each of those fuckers a "Make America Great Again" hat, and making them wear it for a week, minimum.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on July 29, 2016, 02:14:14 PM

I told some students who went out to play Pokemon Go the other day to never come back here.

They thought I was joking.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 05:02:30 PM

I told some students who went out to play Pokemon Go the other day to never come back here.

At least they went outside to play. It's almost exercise.  :wink:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Quote from: Mangrove on July 29, 2016, 07:09:24 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 05:02:30 PM

At least they went outside to play. It's almost exercise.  :wink:

I think in central London it's pretty questionable, the health benefits of walking versus how much lead (or, down some of these roads, steel) you inhale into your lungs.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2016, 02:34:37 AM
They do, but for smartphones they're a lot more expensive.

Maybe just get a new non-smart phone? I recall you saying way back that your laptop was good enough for your other needs. Why put potentially sensitive personal info on what I imagine is a relatively hackable device when you don't need to?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Mostly so I can check my emails on the move.

Also, if I do end up leaving this place, I'll likely not be carrying around my laptop so much.  It works for me here, because of the whole living where I work deal, but chances are whatever job I end up getting next, that won't be the arrangement.  The new laptop is kinda heavy...