News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on August 03, 2016, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 03, 2016, 03:04:44 AM
Quote from: Don Coyote on August 02, 2016, 10:56:36 PM
Well, I'm going to be in Portland weekend after the next because I hate myself and hate nerds and I hope to make lots of super serious magic players sulky and maybe I'll dream crush a few pros.

The 13th-14th? If you have any free time, hit us up, maybe we can go grab a beer!

I'd up for that.

Awesome! Do you have my #? I can PM you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

working a new story.  Problem is my keyboard is fucked at home and I am actually having to do work at work (which I find scandalous), so it might be a bit.  It's a murder mystery, for what it's worth.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 04, 2016, 03:02:41 AM
working a new story.  Problem is my keyboard is fucked at home and I am actually having to do work at work (which I find scandalous), so it might be a bit.  It's a murder mystery, for what it's worth.

Murder mystery? Hell yes!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

trippinprincezz13

Nice! Love your writing style, and love murder-mysteries, so can't wait!  :)
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Cain

Looking forward to it.

I can also sympathise with this "having to work at work" nonsense.  This time last year, I was putting in maybe an hour of actual effort, and just sitting around for the other 11.  So I'd hoped I could spend my work hours this summer on my PhD application, maybe some fiction writing I'd hoped to do...

But no.  I have to chase around 20somethings who should know better than to ie; offer alcohol to under 18s in the building, in front of me, or play tour guide to people who literally know less than 20 words of English and have no other language in common with me.  And pick up all the mistakes from the previous shifts, though I've been doing that for 19 months now, so that's not really unexpected.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that I may have just seen the dumbest conversation I have ever seen in my life. A lady on FB was concerned that if they mine the moon, the decreased mass would affect the tides. While not a practical concern, I can see where she's coming from, at least. Then some guy tried to argue that if that happened, we could just simulate the tides. When I asked him how that would happen, he "explained" that we could just alter the tidal lock of the moon.

When my response was BAW HAW HAW HAW, he told me that it's complicated and posted an image of a couple of linear equations that I think he found on Wikipedia. If they challenge you, just stun them into silence with math you don't understand!

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 04, 2016, 07:15:26 PM
That's pretty fucking special.

Right? The tidal moon lock won't do a thing against eons of water memory.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

trix

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 04, 2016, 06:07:26 PM
I think that I may have just seen the dumbest conversation I have ever seen in my life. A lady on FB was concerned that if they mine the moon, the decreased mass would affect the tides. While not a practical concern, I can see where she's coming from, at least. Then some guy tried to argue that if that happened, we could just simulate the tides. When I asked him how that would happen, he "explained" that we could just alter the tidal lock of the moon.

When my response was BAW HAW HAW HAW, he told me that it's complicated and posted an image of a couple of linear equations that I think he found on Wikipedia. If they challenge you, just stun them into silence with math you don't understand!

:lulz:

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
When I was a kid, I took a bunch of the "guts" out of various electronics, squished it all together, wrapped a bunch of clear scotch tape around it, and convinced all my friends I had made a bomb.

When one of them challenged my assertions ("NUH UHH THATS NOT A BOMB"), all of my Star Trek experience leapt into the forefront of my mind and I "showed them how it worked".  I don't remember the exact words I used, but I know I said "...reverses the polarity of..." at least three times.

I'm glad to see the Out-Technobabble-Them method of convincing others of the BS you just made up is still out there!
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mangrove

Quote from: Vivat Alty on August 02, 2016, 06:01:13 PM
After 10 years in this business I am finally saying goodbye to table humpers, arm fondlers, leg patters, and other assorted gross and creepy dudes.

I'm one month in my new lease at a chiro and going to very carefully run my 3rd Groupon and no more questions as to whether I offer "service to other areas". If this doesn't work, weed shops are aplenty in these parts and I have tons more sales/smoking experience than these hippies.

Good luck, man. You deserve a sainthood. After 9 years in the bodywork biz, I quit because I was sick of being broke. My second job morphed into my primary job and now I am trying to figure out what my next move is. Weed shop probably isnt my thing....at least not since I had my hair cut short. In my 20s my long hair was practically a sign that read "By all means, please approach me and ask for drugs".
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

trix

There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Faust

Quote from: Vivat Alty on August 04, 2016, 09:58:12 PM
Relevant: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/10/why_i_hate_star_trek.html
I find this a weird criticism of TNG. (Been rewatching them since they were added to netflix), while I agree that many episodes have the tech as a plot device to push the dramatic effect, the majority of the show is about exploration of various concepts from religion, politics, culture and history, to more complex themes about identity self image and sexuality with this blind optimism behind it.
Each episode follows a template format: a overarching story focusing on a member of the cast, this makes up the majority of the episode, and a ship wide threat which would fall into the technobabble category.

Science fiction is about exploring more then just technology, it would be very shallow if it did, and ironically those parts are the shallow part of the show.

In contrast, when looking at the later shows like voyager, the exploration of complex ideas takes a back seat and the body of the show is a drama set in space. I see his criticisms and would say that it is present in so much of science fiction on TV, but for the Next Gen I just dont see it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 04, 2016, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on August 04, 2016, 07:15:26 PM
That's pretty fucking special.

Right? The tidal moon lock won't do a thing against eons of water memory.

Alright, you get a prize for that one.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.