News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Do you live in a bubble?

Started by Freeky, April 06, 2016, 09:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/do-you-live-in-a-bubble-a-quiz-2/

So I took this quiz a while ago, saw it on Facebook.  This article says this guy, Charles Murray, decided your bubble is related to your socio-economic place in MURRICA.  The higher you score, the less out of touch you are with culture, and probably the more blue collar you are.  The lower your score, the higher your income bracket and ignorance of standard American culture.  Scores are out of 100.  I scored 37, which translates to Upper Middle Class.  For the record, "upper middle class" does not have a defined income bracket in this quiz at any point, while poverty is defined (and deep poverty further defined), and I have been living in deep poverty for the last 6 years at least.

I find this quiz to be very biased, and worse it draws more lines and creates more sides among the lower economic classes, and is based on what appears to be an elitist's view of stereotypical blue-collar tropes.

Example 1:  Have you ever made it through an entire episode of Ellen Degeneres, Dr. Phil, or Wendy Williams?  Do you watch any of these regularly? 

Example 2:  Do you regularly buy domestic mass marketed beer to stock your own fridge?  (Coors, Budweiser, Miller, and Busch are those listed).

Example 3: Have you ever lived for at least a year in the United States at a family income that was close to or below the poverty line?
    Graduate school doesn't count. Living unemployed with your family after college doesn't count.

Example 4:  Did you ever letter in anything that wasn't chess club or the debating team?

See, I just think (and I am fully aware that this is my opinion and nothing more) this is bullshit.  It bothers me that I'm being called an elitist rich (from my point of view) snob by some dude who interconnects "culture" with "money".  Or something.

What do you all think?

LMNO

I think I scored a 23* and you should get off my property before I call the cops.

*Really, I did.

Cain

I think Charles Murray exists to give academic cover to the GOP, and is kinda racist.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2016, 02:55:17 AM
I think Charles Murray exists to give academic cover to the GOP, and is kinda racist.

Oh, is he one of those Arthur Jensen tards?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 07, 2016, 03:23:01 AM

Oh, is he one of those Arthur Jensen tards?   :lulz:

The APA basically called him such, in their review of The Bell Curve:

QuoteThere is certainly no such support for a genetic interpretation...It is sometimes suggested that the Black/White differential in psychometric intelligence is partly due to genetic differences (Jensen, 1972). There is not much direct evidence on this point, but what little there is fails to support the genetic hypothesis.

QuoteThe differential between the mean intelligence test scores of Blacks and Whites (about one standard deviation, although it may be diminishing) does not result from any obvious biases in test construction and administration, nor does it simply reflect differences in socio-economic status. Explanations based on factors of caste and culture may be appropriate, but so far have little direct empirical support. There is certainly no such support for a genetic interpretation. At present, no one knows what causes this differential.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

That's shitty of him.

Also, apparently has a thing against single mothers.

QuoteIllegitimate children are more likely to be born to women of lower social class. He claims that illegitimate children "run wild" because they lack father role-models. He claims that the underclass is responsible for rising crime - property crime and violent crime.

Cramulus

POFP

Got a 58 (Neener neener boo boo, stick ur head in doo-doo, I'm more down to eaerth than u ^^^)
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

LMNO

Pretty sure I've locked down my title of "Emperor Privilege".

East Coast Hustle

61, but I thought this test was about as stupid as a test can be.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

POFP

Yeah, kinda had a "You were a 90s kid (Or in this case, low income bracket kid) if you knew who this was lmaaaaoooo" feel to it.

"If you don't know who this is, ask your nearest poor 30 year old lmaooo"
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Pergamos

3 seems like it defines poor. 

Most poor folks I know don't drink standard mass market beer, they drink the generic versions.  Same lack of taste, but costs less.

Freeky

Quote from: Pergamos on April 17, 2016, 07:14:31 AM
3 seems like it defines poor. 

3 does define poor, but you get penalized if you, essentially, MADE yourself poor by getting edumacated, or got a little edumacated and couldn't find a job, thus being unable to pay bills that let you live on your own.  Because that kind of poverty doesn't count.  Because reasons.

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, not directly related to this particular test, but on the subject of bubbles: went to see Midnight Special (which I highly recommend) with The Man From Texas and I had to ask him afterwards about when the movie is supposed to be set, because look at all these landlines and old CRT TVs, but they're saying dates like 2011. He had to explain to me that in the poor-but-not-Hunger-Games-poor parts of the south this is still completely normal. Of course, this was news to me because where I live poor-but-not-starving folks have garbage cellphones and itty bitty HD sets or no TV at all.