News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Latter-Day Spags of Discordia, part 2

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 18, 2016, 05:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

The Coming Weird Times didn't make you crazy.  The New World Order didn't make you crazy.  Crazy is your default state; it is the new normal.  After all, crazy is the only thing that works when wearing shoes at the airport is outlawed and children are sold ballistic blankets to go to school.  Craziness is a survival trait, and paranoia is just the condition of having enough of the facts to form a decision.

What's awesome about the shoes business is that not only is it an admission of defeat in the face of terrorism, you can ALSO arrange "pre-screening" in advance to avoid all that business.  Said pre-screening consists of a fee...So it's not about making you safe, it's about showing the mob who the peasants are, and who the "quality people" are.

The blanket, now...It costs $400 after markdown (was originally $700).  A cheap handgun in Dallas, Texas runs from $20 (has drops on it) to $100 (new).  Call ammunition another $50.  So, a class of thirty needs $12,000 worth of ballistic blanket that may or may not protect them, and a school shooter needs $150, max.  To further that, protecting a school would cost about $425,000 vs that $150, and this in a system in which teachers are expected to pay for classroom supplies out of their own meager paycheck.  And that's all leaving aside the REAL lesson to the kids:  "In this world it is normal that complete strangers will come to try to kill you."

Assuming the police don't, of course.

Our technology is up, but the fabric of our society is in tatters.  Is it any wonder that people try to simplify their lives in foolish ways?  Is it any wonder that science is rejected in favor of "alternative medicine"?  Or that the best way to deal with geo-sats demonstrating the ocean level rising is to turn off the geo-sats?  Don't laugh too hard at that last one, because how do we deal with Afghanistan, the longest-running war in our history?  Oh, yeah.  We turn the TV off.

We have been conditioned to hate smart people, yet demand the things those smart people develop for us.  We have been conditioned to holler "buy American!" in the same exact breath we use to explain that off-shoring happens because the blue collar class is greedy and wants to take money off of the shareholders.  We have drug commercials on TV telling us they can make our heads feel better, with a mild risk of anal bleeding, stroke, and death.

Is there any doubt at all as to why people are crazy?  There is no "grand conspiracy", just a combination of greed and stupidity that has demoralized our population until someone like Ammon Bundy thinks that seizing a BIRD SANCTUARY is somehow a good idea, while the rest of the country huddles in their homes waiting for the crazy to go away and could we have our 1980s back please?  That's particularly ironic, given that all this shit really got rolling in the 1980s, but again, popular culture depicts the serene soccer mom as being a very 1980s housewife, white button-up shirt and capris and everything.  Mostly because very few people – comparatively – remember the 50s, and the current crop decision-makers grew up in the Reagan years.

This also explains those God-awful nostalgia memes that bombard social media 300 times a day.

So there they are, 47%+ of the population, wanting to pray in a candidate to take them back to those "great days".  Well, America, praying won't do you any good, not really, because you asked for this.  You demanded it.  You thought you were just being outraged or maybe pissing off your local hippies, but what actually happened is that laws got made...And now you piss & moan because 6 year olds are being arrested on felony charges for acting out in class, or Kansas has decided to put an actual bounty on transgender persons using the "wrong" bathroom.

Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm happy that you have built this.  This is the future I was promised.  This is the time foretold.  And I have no sympathy, because, well, you earned it.

Or Kill Me
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

QuoteThe blanket, now...It costs $400 after markdown (was originally $700).  A cheap handgun in Dallas, Texas runs from $20 (has drops on it) to $100 (new).  Call ammunition another $50.  So, a class of thirty needs $12,000 worth of ballistic blanket that may or may not protect them, and a school shooter needs $150, max.  To further that, protecting a school would cost about $425,000 vs that $150, and this in a system in which teachers are expected to pay for classroom supplies out of their own meager paycheck.  And that's all leaving aside the REAL lesson to the kids:  "In this world it is normal that complete strangers will come to try to kill you."

THIS.

Normalising shitty situations is probably one of the best ways to make sure they persist. I can't imagine there's any change to education systems to explain why this shit happens. Sooner or later you end up talking about a systemic problem and there's no fucking way that the system will ever accept even the slightest responsibility for the shit it causes. For a start it's incapable of doing so and even if it were to do so, funding would be cut.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Reading your old sermons and rants and then seeing the same damn themes (or worse, the confirmation of your terrible predictions) is all kinds of  :horrormirth:

POFP

GOD FUCKING DAMN

:mittens:

Can I print this off and shove it into every fucker's face I ever met? I wish defacing websites with this masterpiece wouldn't point the investigation in the direction of this board, else I would slam this into the front page of every site I could find. It's like V's TV broadcast from V for Vendetta, but in a "Fuck it, I'm done trying to help you." kind of way.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Ziegejunge

This is powerful shit. Thank you for these words.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fernando Poo on April 18, 2016, 06:58:37 PM
GOD FUCKING DAMN

:mittens:

Can I print this off and shove it into every fucker's face I ever met? I wish defacing websites with this masterpiece wouldn't point the investigation in the direction of this board, else I would slam this into the front page of every site I could find. It's like V's TV broadcast from V for Vendetta, but in a "Fuck it, I'm done trying to help you." kind of way.

Sure.  Title it "Why Are You Upset?" and attribute to The Good Reverend Roger, and you can do anything with it in its present form that strikes your fancy.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 18, 2016, 06:25:56 PM
Reading your old sermons and rants and then seeing the same damn themes (or worse, the confirmation of your terrible predictions) is all kinds of  :horrormirth:

I tried to warn people.  THIS, now, this is sheer schadenfreude.   :lulz: