News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

The Elephant in the Living Room, part 1

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 29, 2016, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Q. G. Pennyworth

Looking at it in context (http://imgur.com/a/pj2NJ), I think the highlight one (which was third in production but ended up first on the list) is the way to go. I really liked the italic font, but it's challenging to read even on a relatively boring background.

Q. G. Pennyworth

(Sorry for propaganda-ing up your thread, Roger)

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

rong

I wish so bad that someone would show up at a Cruz/Fiorina rally or town hall or whatever and when there's an opportunity for questions, that someone would say, "uh, yeah, hi - um, this question is for Carly - PC Load Letter? WTF Does that mean??"
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Wizard Joseph

I've almost shit myself a few times watching the Sanders campaign go through fits quite similar to the ones experienced by Ron Paul supporters in the final days of that campaign. I have no small number of ties to the right and so had a fine vantage to observe the effects on friends and family alike. The actual endgame has been nearly identical.

1. Note unfair media coverage and overt signs of vote rigging to everyone around you regardless of levels of interest expressed.
2. Freak out and hiss at anybody that is disinterested or that expresses a different opinion as though the most monstrous of humans had just vomited blasphemies and demons all over your pristine fucking holy ground.
3. Abandon ship entirely or threaten publicly to aid the opposition purely out of spite when the final votes come in and NO they will not be investigating all of the things you've been griping about.
4. Get all "revolutionary" with your bad self and continue to shit on folks who may have decided that the status quo wasn't so very bad or that your particular utopia wasn't really their idea of an eternal paradise.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I definitely agree with your OP, Roger, though I think many of these Bernie or bust types are going to calm the fuck down, suck it up, and vote for Hillary after they're done pouting.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LMNO on April 29, 2016, 07:50:55 PM
I feel if Bernie were really sincere about a "revolution", he would immediately pivot his current momentum into changing the makeup of the House and Senate, where an influx of leather-leaning politicians would begin forming a base to a more liberal government.

That's how I misread that.

But it's also a really good point. I was hoping that if he won, he would get people involved not just with scrutinizing their Congresscritters, but also their local elections as well.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

Looking back 5 years later, it's fun watching the right to do itself what the left did to itself in 2016.
Molon Lube

TheAudience

Is it the QAnon Crowd (Margorie Taylor Greene and the like) vs. the rest of the Republican party? Or some other dividing line? Either way I'd love more details about what you're seeing if you've got the time.

I haven't yet spotted who is the figurehead for "the rest of the Republican party". Who has the guts to primary Trump? Who will split the base and start the infighting?
registered to see the fatberg.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: TheAudience on June 15, 2021, 04:56:30 PM
Is it the QAnon Crowd (Margorie Taylor Greene and the like) vs. the rest of the Republican party? Or some other dividing line? Either way I'd love more details about what you're seeing if you've got the time.

I haven't yet spotted who is the figurehead for "the rest of the Republican party". Who has the guts to primary Trump? Who will split the base and start the infighting?

Right now, no currently-elected republican (aside from Romney, Kinzinger, and Cheney) will raise his hand against Trump, but McCarthy and his crowd aren't happy, and neither are a dozen GOP senators.

The reason they don't speak out is that Trump can doom any of them.  He can't help them, but he CAN squash their careers in the next election.

He's more of a king-breaker than a king-maker.
Molon Lube

TheAudience

Thank you, I think I see the parallel now. I can only wish that some contingent of the unhappy crowd gets unhappy enough to sit out or desert (even temporarily) should Trump make another go at the presidency in 2024.
registered to see the fatberg.