News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Tough on Word-Salad, Tough on the Causes of Word-Salad.

Started by POFP, May 08, 2016, 03:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

As you probably know, I am prone to confusing and incoherent interjections that can usually be described as "salade de mots." They tend to be caused by overthought metaphors that only have context in my own fucking head at the time that I'm producing said salade. Most of the time, I can look back during a lucid state and giggle or blush, and move on with my life. But this shit is starting to get fucking ridiculous.

Quote from: Fernando Poo on March 19, 2016, 07:41:00 PM
Quote from: Alty on March 19, 2016, 07:34:34 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on March 19, 2016, 07:26:19 PM
Quote from: Alty on March 19, 2016, 07:22:26 PM
Nuke the earth, problems solved.

BUT BUT BUT WHAT ABOUT THE POOR AND THE ANIMALS AND THE CHILDREN AND THE TREES AND THE FISH AND THE POLAR BEARS AND THE POOR?

The whom?

You mean these piles of radiated bones?

Riiiiiiiight, radiated bones aren't people, just like fetuses and zygotes aren't babies. YOU'RE A SICK MAN. SICK I TELL YOU!  :argh!:

WHAT THE FUCK DID THIS EVEN MEAN? HOW COULD THIS HAVE POSSIBLY GOTTEN THROUGH MY FILTER, LET ALONE BE SEEN AS A COHERENT THOUGHT IN MY HEAD AT ANY POINT IN TIME?

After YEARS of working on minimizing this shit, I have nothing to fucking show for it. You guys might be saying, "Yeah, you're nuts, but there's no need to be so hard on yourself" and "We all have our bad days and we're all stupid sometimes." No no no, it's not that. This shit has become an IRL fucking problem. This shit used to just happen when I had too much energy and not enough focus while on internet forums in general. And it used to be justifiable afterwards. But now, it's happening AT WORK in the floor chat rooms. I make people uncomfortable to talk to me now, and I don't have a clue at this point on how to fix this shit.

I've gone past the point of Cringe. I'm getting into the lail zone, and I'm struggling to get rid of the momentum.

Please, someone, give me something to help. I'll try the basics, like going outside, but I still had this problem during the times that I spent most of my day outside.

HELP ME END THE SALAD

Or fucking kill me.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

rong

I've found that work has become a much more enjoyable experience now that most people no longer wish to talk to me and those that do are never sure if i'm serious or not
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

POFP

Quote from: rong on May 08, 2016, 03:54:11 PM
I've found that work has become a much more enjoyable experience now that most people no longer wish to talk to me and those that do are never sure if i'm serious or not

I happen to be a social person, and my job requires that I talk to people to get updates on process changes consistently throughout the day. I am fucked if no one wants to talk to me. And my extroverted personality makes it difficult to just hold back saying anything until I have no choice. Not that I could stay focused on keeping quite long enough for the attempt to be effective.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The salad is one of those things that a therapist might be the right solution for. It sounds like your thought process is getting wacky as hell and you're having trouble identifying when the shit you're thinking is appropes for a mixed audience. A third party could help you talk out some of your internal stuff, help you improve your judgment on what's okay for the outside voice, and practice filtering.

minuspace

Reading helps me, feeds the brain words so I'm not tossing in all the not quite right ones.  Good writing (reading it) can also help structure my thoughts, or so I'd like to believe.  Then again, I actually find you quite cogent, so, you know, don't mind me.

POFP

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 08, 2016, 05:46:27 PM
The salad is one of those things that a therapist might be the right solution for. It sounds like your thought process is getting wacky as hell and you're having trouble identifying when the shit you're thinking is appropes for a mixed audience. A third party could help you talk out some of your internal stuff, help you improve your judgment on what's okay for the outside voice, and practice filtering.

You may be right.

At one point in time, this kind of thing was caused by an ego issue, wherein I would create a contextless metaphor, and be offended when nobody got it. I would then blame the frustration on other people due to them "Not being smart enough to understand my genius." This would be a repeating loop of ego boosting.

Thankfully, that turdboat has sailed. But now it seems to be caused by some inability to understand what is considered universally-derivable context, and what isn't. Sometimes, I can remember the mindset I had when I made these oopsies, and I can find a way to keep that kind of metaphor from being created again. But when I can't remember what the fuck was going through my head, there's almost nothing I can do to keep it from happening again.

What worries me is that when I'm in these incoherent states, I know for a fact that I will re-read whatever I'm writing a million times to make sure that it isn't word-salad. And somehow, whatever I wrote ends up worse than when it started. It is INSANE.

I think it might be an extreme form of cognitive ADHD. It tends to happen more often when I'm sitting at my desk at work, or when I'm sitting at home with nothing to worry about or do. During these periods, I become restless and my limbs feel the urge to move and vibrate until they fall off of my body. Usually, I will come here or go on Facebook to get my mind off of my body. I think this is just transferring the hyper-activity to my brain. I suppose some more exercise, or maybe some sort of physical activity before or during getting on the forums or into the chats will help keep that from going to my brain?

Quote from: LuciferX on May 08, 2016, 07:07:53 PM
Reading helps me, feeds the brain words so I'm not tossing in all the not quite right ones.  Good writing (reading it) can also help structure my thoughts, or so I'd like to believe.  Then again, I actually find you quite cogent, so, you know, don't mind me.

Well, I think the similarities in our behavior have been discussed before. I think I remember pointing out that you also did this thing. But to a less extent, while being more often. I would argue I don't do it often, but when I do, it is absurdly incoherent.

Regret also compared us once (In our lucid states).

Also, I think an argument could be made for reading more often. I know I don't read hardly anything at all other than what's on these forums or at work. No recreational reading anymore.
Yet, when I was the most lucid and humorous, I was reading intriguing literature quite often.

I think I need to exercise my fucking brain.

minuspace

Such are the perils of falling into good company.