News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Soliciting Works/Ideas for Pride

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, May 27, 2016, 05:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Going to the silly rainbow parade, gonna flyer the shit out of all the pretty people. I have the set of pope cards from last year, but I want to include some stuff like the Strange Times pamphlets. I think the Notes on an Inconvenient Universe may be too dark for the mood, but maybe some of the other stuff from Holy Nonsense is okay? Maybe there are some essays on Saturday Night that would work and be okay for distribution? Maybe someone gets inspired and writes a new thing in the next week!

Toss out any ideas here. I'll generate print and online versions of anything and everything and hand out as much as my budget allows.

The Wizard Joseph

I'm down, but not too sure what I can do. I have a partial piece I wrote last night about an interpretation of some of Jesus'  teachings in Matthew that could indicate an argument for gender, and by extension sexual orientation, rights from with the context of "Christanity". I can post what I have so far, but I want to refine the argument some before publication. I'll post it ITT if you like. I don't really intend to open a thread here @pd for it, kinda sharply off topic.

What's the time frame are you figuring on? Is it 1 week?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 27, 2016, 11:43:08 PM
I'm down, but not too sure what I can do. I have a partial piece I wrote last night about an interpretation of some of Jesus'  teachings in Matthew that could indicate an argument for gender, and by extension sexual orientation, rights from with the context of "Christanity". I can post what I have so far, but I want to refine the argument some before publication. I'll post it ITT if you like. I don't really intend to open a thread here @pd for it, kinda sharply off topic.

What's the time frame are you figuring on? Is it 1 week?

2 weeks, although getting stuff done earlier means more time for formatting/printing/tweaking

Q. G. Pennyworth

Also, to be clear, I'm not looking for stuff that's super on the nose for LGBT stuff, just want to get the tone right. More "get your weird on everywhere" and less horrormirth.

The Wizard Joseph

Ok. I'm not so sure about my write up then. I could reformat it to perhaps seem "Discordian" in style, but it's rather precisely "on the nose" in that sense either way.

I'll post it in the bar. I'm kinda looking for more general feedback anyway, and there's no point filling this thread with such.

I could quite possibly finish On the Secret Genesis of Eris in that time if I commit. Do you think that could be of interest on your project?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

You know? I don't think there's a specifically queer-positive Discordian tract or pamphlet.

Hmmm. Certainly not for '16 Pride, but this could be fertile ground. Brainstorming is needed.

Pergamos

Wasn't there a piece on big gay cowboys?

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on May 28, 2016, 01:58:37 AM
You know? I don't think there's a specifically queer-positive Discordian tract or pamphlet.

Hmmm. Certainly not for '16 Pride, but this could be fertile ground. Brainstorming is needed.

Agreed.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on May 28, 2016, 01:58:37 AM

I think that's because this is the one place where it really doesn't matter.

Not saying we can't or shouldn't, just saying it's never really come up.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I really love that. It's just... Never been an issue.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on May 29, 2016, 04:09:09 AM
I really love that. It's just... Never been an issue.

Might be a first in recorded western civ, come to think of it. Huh

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

There has, of course, been the bog-standard number of people who come in, flaunting whatever things they think make them baaaaad people (Aini comes to mind).  But nobody CARES, and they get all bent out of shape.

So my question here is, what kind of "Gay-friendly" stuff do we want?  I have some ideas, based on things I've written in the past about other things, I suppose.

My first one would be the "Remember, for some fucking reason, THEY are afraid of US" thing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

I remember when the Caitlyn Jenner transition news broke last year. There was an upswing in all manner of related strife, but also folks started to "come out" or begin to actually seek transition in considerable numbers and with new, unheard of boldness. I remember only 1 voice calling for a creative push among the Discordians I had interactions with on FB at the time. One. Single. Discordian.

There was a resulting flutter of conversation from the cabal whose FB he contacted. It became painfully apparent to the folks paying attention that despite all its "counter-culture" Discordianism remains remarkably CIS-male in active membership. Never even got a pamphlet out. Times moved on, election shit set in.
Window closed. I'm still "FB friends" with this person and respect them quite a bit, but not seen much lately.

I'm not bringing it up to poop on anyone, just reporting how it went to look at. I think that if a real effort to expand and recruit in "minorities" overall is made, then the whole of Discordian Society will benefit immensely as those folks actually within a given situation or sub-culture are best fit to speak to it, and will once Eris gets her fingers in.

I guess I'm saying that the question seems not so much "what does "Discordia" have to say to the community", but rather "how shall we bring elements of the community to it?" What would they then say to "their own"? The first action of expansion is to gather, then order, then push, push HARD, repeat.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 29, 2016, 05:55:59 AM
There has, of course, been the bog-standard number of people who come in, flaunting whatever things they think make them baaaaad people (Aini comes to mind).  But nobody CARES, and they get all bent out of shape.

So my question here is, what kind of "Gay-friendly" stuff do we want?  I have some ideas, based on things I've written in the past about other things, I suppose.

My first one would be the "Remember, for some fucking reason, THEY are afraid of US" thing.

THEY are afraid of US is a good place to start IMO. Free All Over The Place WITHOUT PERMISSION I think is another. Cain's Hearts and Minds is really close to on the mark, but it's focused on O:MF to a slightly distracting degree. Maybe something along the lines of "Welcome to the Front Lines"?

In the formatting/printing department, I churned out a ton of existing stuff (posted most of the booklets yesterday, ran off a bunch of The Strange Times too). I'm also trying out a new format (for me) I'm referring to as multifold: full sheet design on one side, back has a half sheet and two quarters, it's folded up such that the two quarters are visible when you hand it out, then unfolds to reveal the half, then the full. I'm also doing doublesided half sheets of some of the one pagers (Systems vs The System, Letter to the Cabbages, Chasing Green Butterflies, Guerrilla Surrealism). I can post those in the propaganda depository if there's interest?

LMNO