News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

I wanna be a student, too!

Started by LMNO, June 16, 2016, 03:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on September 01, 2016, 05:25:26 PM
At least you're doing it for a degree.

It's not for a degree, though, is what I'm saying. Calculus doesn't apply to my Masters. I won't need it for my PhD. The only possible chance I could even have to take it is afterward, for funzies.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Yay!  I'm not alone!

LMNO
-totally forgot that a negative number squared has a positive answer.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on September 06, 2016, 04:08:42 PM
Yay!  I'm not alone!

LMNO
-totally forgot that a negative number squared has a positive answer.

Maybe we can start a movement of middle-aged people taking math for fun!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think I've mentioned it before, but one of my good friends started teaching herself math late in life, and loved it so much that now she's a math teacher.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This seems like the right thread to ask in; in your sig, why is the simplified expression on the left?

LMNO

I misread your initial question, so I deleted my answer as to not sound pedantic.

I believe the simplified expression is on the left because probabilities, for some reason, are read right to left.

Because this is Bayes' theorem, I believe it's interpreted as "The probability of the event happening is equal to the conditions relating to that event."

Jeez, I hope that was the answer you're looking for.

(makes a mental note to expand into statistics and probability classes)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on September 06, 2016, 07:14:33 PM
I misread your initial question, so I deleted my answer as to not sound pedantic.

I believe the simplified expression is on the left because probabilities, for some reason, are read right to left.

Because this is Bayes' theorem, I believe it's interpreted as "The probability of the event happening is equal to the conditions relating to that event."

Jeez, I hope that was the answer you're looking for.

(makes a mental note to expand into statistics and probability classes)

That is the answer to what I was wondering! Thank you.