News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Fukushima: witness Modern Man at his finest

Started by babyjesus, July 04, 2016, 12:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 04, 2016, 10:50:16 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 04, 2016, 10:44:06 PM
Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 04, 2016, 10:37:05 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 04, 2016, 07:15:36 PM
Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 04, 2016, 03:02:58 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 04, 2016, 05:58:30 AM
While Fukushima isn't nearly the threat to humanity you represent it as, you also make some really damn fine points, here. Our desire to forge ahead far outstrips our capacity for planning ahead. This may well end us in fairly short time, right here in the toddler stage of human evolution.

yeah.

But even if I am exaggerating the scope of the disaster Fukushima there simply is no way to exaggerate the dangers of modern man playing with nuclear power.

There was a running debate before they tested the first devices about whether or not a nuclear detonation would ignite all of the atmospheric oxygen globally. So natcherally they tried it to find out.

Hold on... is your source Reddit? Oxygen is an accelerant, it doesn't "ignite".

Did Manhattan Project scientists really fear that an atomic explosion would ignite the oxygen in the atmosphere and destroy the world?

https://www.quora.com/Did-Manhattan-Project-scientists-really-fear-that-an-atomic-explosion-would-ignite-the-oxygen-in-the-atmosphere-and-destroy-the-world

QuoteIt came from just one scientist, Edward Teller, who put forth the idea. Oppenheimer looked into it and it was soon realized this was a groundless fear given the size of the bombs under consideration.

It's nice that  you actually bothered to look it up and can admit that your claims were goofy as fuck.

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-scientists-risked-destroying-the-earth-during-nuclear-tests-and-cern.t692/

goofy as fuck as in true and verified with your own link.

Teller's concerns were not completely invalidated until they tested the first bomb in NM. Prior to that there was a vigorous running debate regarding the risks associated with detonating the bomb in an oxygen rich atmosphere.

So you aren't good at critical thinking OR reading comprehension. What else aren't you good at?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 04, 2016, 03:02:58 PM

There was a running debate before they tested the first devices about whether or not a nuclear detonation would ignite all of the atmospheric oxygen globally. So natcherally they tried it to find out.

QuoteUpon hearing the prospect of an uncontrolled atmospheric reaction, Oppenheimer set Hans Bethe to look into the matter. Bethe, using early IBM digital computers to achieve his results, calculated that a fission reaction could not induce a thermonuclear reaction in the open atmosphere. Research resumed and the first A-Bomb was constructed.

What do words mean? I just don't know.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What is the difference between nitrogen and oxygen? If only science could tell us!

Freeky

What is "oxygen-rich"?  I'm seriously asking, not trying to pull anyone's tail.  The wording suggests at least 50% oxygen, yeah?  But before I wrote this post, I thought it was ~30%, and I looked it up just now and it's really 20ish.

POFP

Nigel, it's good to have you back.

Roger's right. It's fun watching you Nigel other people.  :lulz:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on July 05, 2016, 01:07:21 AM
What is "oxygen-rich"?  I'm seriously asking, not trying to pull anyone's tail.  The wording suggests at least 50% oxygen, yeah?  But before I wrote this post, I thought it was ~30%, and I looked it up just now and it's really 20ish.

"Oxygen-rich" is very subjective, but compared to other planets, our atmosphere is oxygen-rich.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 05, 2016, 01:16:03 AM
Nigel, it's good to have you back.

Roger's right. It's fun watching you Nigel other people.  :lulz:

Thanks! :)

LMNO

This thread:

OP:
:box:

Nigel and Others:
:weary:

OP:
:snob:

N&O:
:lolchix:

OP:
:scientist:

N&O:
:cn:

OP:
:showus:

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 04, 2016, 06:06:00 AM
Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 04, 2016, 12:20:27 AM

We had no plan, none, whatsoever!

This is how humans roll.  It was designed to be a disaster.  The back up generators - which could ONLY be necessary in a flood - were on the ground instead of on the roof, and were thus knocked out by the water.  That one little fucking detail, which would have been absolutely obvious to a maintenance tech, was completely overlooked by the engineers.

Leaving aside the entire idea of nuclear power, leaving aside the Japanese cultural idea (and they are not alone in this) that you don't question technical authority, what this comes down to is people who are trained to design by the book vs people who are trained to handle or repair things when the chips are down, and their absolute inability and unwillingness to communicate.

I could write a book on this.  And it's worth mentioning that the fault is not entirely with the engineers.  Not by a long shot.

Just starting to read thread, but PLEASE DO! SWEET FUCK PLEASE DO!!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Huh. OP seems to feel concerned about one instance in over 200,000 successful tests. Most under water.

Here's a secret newb. Despite what is spilling into water and food table the situation @ Chernobyl is still worse long term. The ability of a runaway core to destabilize the subatomic nature of even lead (thermium IIRC) is somewhat mitigated by a crystallization process in water.

One day, millennia from now thecore@Chernobyl (meaning wild wormwood :fnord:) will breach the containment and hit the water table. Before that it will essentially destabilize all matter around it permanently. After... well at least by then our children's childrens' children's children's bastard mutants will all be dead.

HI NIGEL!! GLAD TO SEE YOU BROUGHT THE DICKS!!!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 05, 2016, 08:54:28 PM
Huh. OP seems to feel concerned about one instance in over 200,000 successful tests. Most under water.

Here's a secret newb. Despite what is spilling into water and food table the situation @ Chernobyl is still worse long term. The ability of a runaway core to destabilize the subatomic nature of even lead (thermium IIRC) is somewhat mitigated by a crystallization process in water.

One day, millennia from now thecore@Chernobyl (meaning wild wormwood :fnord:) will breach the containment and hit the water table. Before that it will essentially destabilize all matter around it permanently. After... well at least by then our children's childrens' children's children's bastard mutants will all be dead.

What else would an illiterate, ignorant inbred bring to a battle of wits?

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 05, 2016, 01:17:55 AM
Quote from: Freeky on July 05, 2016, 01:07:21 AM

"Oxygen-rich" is very subjective, but compared to other planets, our atmosphere is oxygen-rich.

Very true, all of that.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 05, 2016, 11:14:09 PM

Trick questions?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

The severity of the Fukushima thing is partly an illusion. While borked nuclear plants like fukushima and chernobyl briskly and severely destroy the environment they do it in a relatively contained area and mostly jist when they break, whereas conventional power plants slowly, imperceptably like the proverbial boiled frog, but steadily poison the entire world.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 07, 2016, 05:53:54 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 05, 2016, 11:14:09 PM

Trick questions?

That was only half a joke. Really don't know what you mean Nigel.  :?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl