News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Did you know thast an Emu can outrun a pair of dingoes for 45 minutes?

Started by babyjesus, July 06, 2016, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyjesus

It's true, watched it happen in my own yard.

Dogs that aren't quite fast enough to catch a jack rabbit but can run deer to their death are outclassed in both events (sprint and distance) by a fucking bird.

And we thought they were only masters of flight.

Kinda makes you wonder what a strange and mysterious world populated by dinosaurs was like for emerging mammals.

How did we ever make it this far?

WE are SUPER RATS!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Have you ever considered taking some classes, maybe at a community college? It's really very rewarding.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

I fear it would get lost if it tried to leave the basement. Certainly the house without parental guidance.

Have you considered asking people for help with education? Nigel said something about community college. If you need me to translate more of her nonsense let me know. She has no arms you see. People did rig up a variety of prosthetic "things" lmno found at the gay bar to her and she just pokes a keyboard until a post occurs. You get used to translating it after a while but I doubt you speak "go fuck yourself."
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

babyjesus

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 06, 2016, 08:18:33 PM
I fear it would get lost if it tried to leave the basement. Certainly the house without parental guidance.

Have you considered asking people for help with education? Nigel said something about community college. If you need me to translate more of her nonsense let me know. She has no arms you see. People did rig up a variety of prosthetic "things" lmno found at the gay bar to her and she just pokes a keyboard until a post occurs. You get used to translating it after a while but I doubt you speak "go fuck yourself."

since you asked:

QuoteEmus can run at speeds of up to 50 km per hour. They also have the unusual ability of being able to do a quick 180-degree turn at almost top speed, a feat unmatched by other animals.

They can also scale a barbed wire fence at nearly full speed.

But I never would have guessed they could keep that dance going for 45 minutes until the dogs were too spent to maintain pursuit.

It's just a damned good thing for us that insects aren't as big as emus, and that very few birds are. We wouldn't stand a chance in hell in the Cretaceous period.

Global warming scares the shit outta me!

Junkenstein

I asked if you've considered getting assistance with your lack of education.

You really do need help with reading comprehension. Though it does explain the zerohedge obsession.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Pæs

Pæs

Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 07, 2016, 04:12:55 PM
It's just a damned good thing for us that insects aren't as big as emus, and that very few birds are. We wouldn't stand a chance in hell in the Cretaceous period.
Jesus Christ, it's only by sheer luck that badgers aren't the size of blue whales; imagine the scale of their dens, undermining cities and incorporating our subways into their enormous subterranean underworlds. Why, if horses were the size of ants, wouldn't they be easy to lose? Imagine an eagle with the head of a tiger. Really puts humanity into perspective, doesn't it?

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on July 08, 2016, 02:34:07 AM
Jesus Christ, it's only by sheer luck that badgers aren't the size of blue whales; imagine the scale of their dens, undermining cities and incorporating our subways into their enormous subterranean underworlds. Why, if horses were the size of ants, wouldn't they be easy to lose? Imagine an eagle with the head of a tiger. Really puts humanity into perspective, doesn't it?

This might explain the cave systems under and around the mountain.  Thank God I have a speargun, I am totally not mentally prepared for giant Goddamn badgers.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 06, 2016, 06:29:15 PM
Kinda makes you wonder what a strange and mysterious world populated by dinosaurs was like for emerging mammals.

I'm gonna say banal, because for them it wasn't several million years removed from them.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

LMNO

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 08, 2016, 05:50:41 AM
Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 06, 2016, 06:29:15 PM

I'm gonna say banal, because for them it wasn't several million years removed from them.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I get what the OP's saying though. But the impressiveness is largely an artifact of civilization. Apparently a human can keep up a brisk pace for a very long time if civilization hasn't made them fat. I read (take this with a grain of salt however as I can no longer recall the source. Also I've summarized this kind of badly.) somewhere that early human hunters relied a lot on the trick of just following an animal continually until it was too tired to keep outrunning them

babyjesus

sheer luck or temperature? If you drop a rat and a snake into an aquarium the survival rate of each is largely a function of temperature.

Likewise the giganticism of cold blooded dinos may well be a function of temperature. And or course the recent dominance of warm blooded mammals is largely a function of temperature too.

I consider global warming an innocuous threat, far more upsides than downsides.

But among the unknowables is what impact 5 degrees may have on the proliferation and speed of insects. Or cold blooded birds. I kinda worry that even 5 degrees may tip the scale in favor of our cold blooded cousins. When I worry about GW anyway.

POFP

Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 08, 2016, 06:09:20 PM

sheer luck or temperature? If you drop a rat and a snake into an aquarium the survival rate of each is largely a function of temperature.

Likewise the giganticism of cold blooded dinos may well be a function of temperature. And or course the recent dominance of warm blooded mammals is largely a function of temperature too.

I consider global warming an innocuous threat, far more upsides than downsides.

But among the unknowables is what impact 5 degrees may have on the proliferation and speed of insects. Or cold blooded birds. I kinda worry that even 5 degrees may tip the scale in favor of our cold blooded cousins. When I worry about GW anyway.

This is fantastic.
But your status as a troll is still amateur...

This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Ziegejunge

Finally, the missing component of Hollow Earth theory: giant badgers. Possibly giant lava badgers.