News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Dallas Police shootings

Started by Junkenstein, July 08, 2016, 09:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

QuoteThat sounds like a special forces tactic, the sort of thing you'd see deployed in overseas situations by military personnel.

This was my first thought. I suspect that the years of hiring ex military to fill out the police ranks are starting to have some very unintended consequences.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

This is a scary escalation to an awful tragedy, I fear the idea is out there now, I expect the first civilian performes  killing using a drone or other, within a year.*

Assuming it hasn't already happened and passed me by.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Da6s

Kept seeing people tweeting about BLM protests. My naive Coloradan self thought at a glance they were crazy rednecks in texas protesting the federal government & bureau of land management (what BLM is). Coupled with a guy in camo being the first suspect because he was OPEN CARRYING A FREAKING AR-15 AT THE EVENT, and it made sense.

Nope. Turns out it stands for black lives matter, too, apparently. Now anyways.

Makes "I went to a BLM Area to shoot some rounds today" have a much, much darker meaning now. Especially considering 75% of shots I've fired in my lifetime have been in BLM areas/land. Snowmobile/ATV usage, too.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

POFP

Quote from: Faust on July 08, 2016, 07:54:36 PM
This is a scary escalation to an awful tragedy, I fear the idea is out there now, I expect the first civilian performes  killing using a drone or other, within a year.*

Assuming it hasn't already happened and passed me by.

Citizen? Or civilian? Because they've been bombing citizens abroad for years (I think Cain may have mentioned this recently. If not, see this.)

Pretty sure they tend to be terrorists/badwrong people, but they're almost never indicted or convicted of any crimes when they are killed.

If you mean civilians, as in people who like, go to the gym on Thursdays and hate work, then I don't remember anything like that. In which case, I agree, it is coming soon.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Faust

Civilian, the technology is available and cheap, there is a culture of entitlement, the idea of using drones in hit and run bombings removes the accountability, maybe I am being alarmist, but the culture is there for another unibomber.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pergamos

I think this will escalate the trend of bad police.  The risk of police work looks like it is increasing, while the rewards (being able to shoot people of color) are not appealing to good police, but are to bad ones.

POFP

Quote from: Faust on July 08, 2016, 10:43:09 PM
Civilian, the technology is available and cheap, there is a culture of entitlement, the idea of using drones in hit and run bombings removes the accountability, maybe I am being alarmist, but the culture is there for another unibomber.

Yeah, I'd never really thought about it for much more than a split second. Now that the weight of the suggestion has settled in, that's actually quite fucking terrifying. Not the idea of it happening, per se, but that it doesn't actually seem that far away. I don't think you're being alarmist.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

The Good Reverend Roger

when my son was in Iraq, he said ISIS had more drone coverage than the Marines did.  Cheap from Amazon.com, easy to learn how to use.

weaponizing one would be a breeze.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

I am also unsurprised by this.  You demonstrate that a subgroup of the population can more or less be killed on a whim, sooner or later the hotheads just say "fuck it".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2016, 12:46:08 AM

when my son was in Iraq, he said ISIS had more drone coverage than the Marines did.  Cheap from Amazon.com, easy to learn how to use.

Oh my god...

rong

Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 09, 2016, 01:13:52 AM

Oh my god...

18 year old mounts a gun to a drone (i think he made one with a flame thrower, too)
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

POFP

Quote from: rong on July 09, 2016, 01:22:30 AM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 09, 2016, 01:13:52 AM

Oh my god...

18 year old mounts a gun to a drone (i think he made one with a flame thrower, too)

Was more concerned with the top part of what Roger said, but now that seems even more fucked up.

Junkenstein

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-police-robot-idUSKCN0ZO2KR

Update on bomb robot shit. Not good.

Apparently gasses of various forms no longer exist, C4 is the only practical option. What the living fuck are you people doing over there? How can this gear possibly be considered appropriate for a police department to own, let alone use? Seems like a radical escalation of force-continuum.

The kicker is that they still have 2 spares.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

After we pulled out of Iraq, we had tons of military ordinance left unused and unsold.

Then some Titan of Capitalism suggested they sell it to police departments "to combat terrorism."

USA! USA!

Pergamos

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 15, 2016, 11:11:24 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-police-robot-idUSKCN0ZO2KR

Update on bomb robot shit. Not good.

Apparently gasses of various forms no longer exist, C4 is the only practical option. What the living fuck are you people doing over there? How can this gear possibly be considered appropriate for a police department to own, let alone use? Seems like a radical escalation of force-continuum.

The kicker is that they still have 2 spares.

It's designed to detonate explosives.  In that capacity I have no problem with it.  Big city forces certainly need a way to remotely detonate bombs.