News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Possible military coup in Turkey

Started by Cain, July 15, 2016, 09:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Lots of weird shit being reported on Twitter and, in the last few minutes, the BBC

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

Hard to say.  Right now, the PM is saying it's a mutiny by Gulenists, but the AKP blames Gulenists for everything, so that doesn't mean much.  That the Turkish PM was free to make that comment however, is interesting in its own right.

There are reports of clashes around the civilian intelligence HQ in Ankara.  Tanks have been deployed at Ankara airport.  Troops are blocking bridges into Istanbul and have been deployed in the streets of Istanbul and Ankara.  It's not clear in any of these cases where these are pro-government or pro-coup forces.

Reuters has also just reported a comment from the Turkish military that it is now in control of Turkey. https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/754049975483588612

Junkenstein

Just heard a quote from the PM along the lines of "Government still in charge, nothing to worry about". Not particularly confidence inspiring and empirical evidence points the other way somewhat. I'd be pretty fucking worried if this shit was going on under my reign.

Changes the perspective on curtains people's comments regarding the country over the past few weeks. Looks relatively well planned with the bridge blockades etc. but early information is always somewhat lacking.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Just heard reports that Erdogan bailed out of the country.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

He's been on TV, on a phone via skype asking people to get on the streets.

Looking more and more like full blown coup, streets apparently fairly quiet.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

From Reuters/BBC details sounds fairly well planned. Only gone for state broadcaster, ignored private companies. Nationwide so not a few guys gone wild.

Rough times ahead there either way but can't see much wrong so far, erdogan is a bit of a prick to say the least so it will hopefully be a positive change if the rhetoric from he coup side comes good.

Wasn't there a guy here in turkey? Ratatosk or something?

Junkenstein

Scratch that, explosion reported.

What a fucking week.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 15, 2016, 10:28:13 PM

Apparently was "already out of the country on holiday". Gunfire at various government buildings reported.

Possession being 9/10ths of the law and all that, they may just have a quick win here.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 15, 2016, 10:59:10 PM
From Reuters/BBC details sounds fairly well planned. Only gone for state broadcaster, ignored private companies. Nationwide so not a few guys gone wild.

Rough times ahead there either way but can't see much wrong so far, erdogan is a bit of a prick to say the least so it will hopefully be a positive change if the rhetoric from he coup side comes good.

Ratatosk and Purple Eris.

And there has been sporadic, scattered fighting.  More like scores being settled.  SO FAR, no word of civilian casualties.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 15, 2016, 11:33:25 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 15, 2016, 10:28:13 PM

Apparently was "already out of the country on holiday". Gunfire at various government buildings reported.

Possession being 9/10ths of the law and all that, they may just have a quick win here.

The story changed from "got on a lear jet" to "was already gone."

Junkenstein

Just to remind self to shut up:

reuters, just literally a second after I wrote that:
QuoteMORE: Turkish military helicopters open fire at national intelligence HQ, two loud explosion heard in center of Ankara - Reuters witnesses

Freeky

That guy, Dodo something, was from Turkey.  The one that claimed to have some work as an english translator, and made lots of friends correcting Nigel or someone about the origins of an english saying.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 15, 2016, 11:34:07 PM

Ratatosk and Purple Eris.

And there has been sporadic, scattered fighting.  More like scores being settled.  SO FAR, no word of civilian casualties.

That's the concern for me though. One score settling leads to another leads to a full blown clusterfuck.

Story switch is interesting, need to keep an eye on that.

Not heard anything regarding an intention to return to the country any time soon. Where are the fashionable exile spots in the modern world? I assume south america's too touristy. Indonesia and surrounding regions?