News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Moe Philosophy

Started by Acuddle, July 21, 2016, 09:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acuddle

Eat your fresh .pdf ! Oops, felt wrong when I said it.

Whatever : Here is Moe Philosophy.

It's probably among the most ordered and greyfaced book ever made by people that would call themselves « a Discordian » :|.
It's a book about a mix of Spinoza's philosophy (especially Ethics), some Discordian concepts, and the idea of Moe. Among other things.
It's divided in plateaux I mistakenly call chapters (a concept from some writer who wanted an alternative way of organizing a book) but function as such.

I would have liked having more ideas for illustrations to make for lighter reading. Good word-munching~ !

I'll think of perusing the Bring and Brag and Propaganda fora, for the fourth edition. *Goes to sleep*

Freeky

I had a quick read through it, and it looks interesting, so far.  I'll read it more thoroughly later.

Brother Mythos

Same here. You've put a lot of work into this. I skimmed it, and downloaded it for a more through read this weekend.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Acuddle on July 21, 2016, 09:40:14 PM

It's probably among the most ordered and greyfaced book ever made by people that would call themselves « a Discordian » :|.
It's a book about a mix of Spinoza's philosophy (especially Ethics), some Discordian concepts, and the idea of Moe. Among other things.
It's divided in plateaux I mistakenly call chapters (a concept from some writer who wanted an alternative way of organizing a book) but function as such.

I would have liked having more ideas for illustrations to make for lighter reading. Good word-munching~ !

I'll think of perusing the Bring and Brag and Propaganda fora, for the fourth edition. *Goes to sleep*

Not being familiar with Spinoza, I'm reading The Ethics prior to delving more deeply into your book.

The Ethics is a bit of a tough read, but I'm finding I do like Spinoza's writing style. I've completed "PART I. CONCERNING GOD", so far.

This is going to take longer than I thought.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Acuddle on July 21, 2016, 09:40:14 PM

It's probably among the most ordered and greyfaced book ever made by people that would call themselves « a Discordian » :|.

which Moe?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Acuddle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Rogerwhich Moe?
Moe as the japanese adjective signifying blooming (or verb signifying burning). Not the Simpsons character.
Wikipedia has a biased definition of it, as the word slowly became a suffix to mean passion and/or a word to describe what TvTropes calls PSL (attraction to fictional characters).
Applied to characters, it means that they have defects which make them cute and endearing. The book is based on a generalization of the concept (being tolerant to/or appreciating defects), putting it in a 2x2 table alongside love (appreciating qualities), hate (disappreciating defects) and jealousy (disappreciating qualities).

Quote from: Brother MythosNot being familiar with Spinoza, I'm reading The Ethics prior to delving more deeply into your book.

The Ethics is a bit of a tough read, but I'm finding I do like Spinoza's writing style. I've completed "PART I. CONCERNING GOD", so far.

Wow, you're brave :link: ! Good luck with the Ethics !

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, so the Hentai shit involving ridiculously huge tits.  That's what I was afraid you were talking about.

Gotcha. 

Bailing now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Acuddle on August 02, 2016, 10:27:38 PM
Quote from: Brother MythosNot being familiar with Spinoza, I'm reading The Ethics prior to delving more deeply into your book.

Wow, you're brave :link: ! Good luck with the Ethics !

Thanks, but not really.

I've studies enough math and physics to not be put off by the writing style. And, I've read quite a bit of Carl Gustav Jung. As he made references to Spinoza in some of his works, the subject matter is not entirely new to me. And besides, it's been raining just about every day here for the past two weeks, so I've had plenty of time on my hands.

As of right now, I'm well into "Part IV: Of Human Bondage, or the Strength of Emotions." I should wrap that up soon, and then I'll give your book a solid read.

It had slipped my mind prior to this edit of my earlier post, but way, way back in my days at "Uni", as the British like to say, I had taken a course called "Introduction to Logic."  So, Spinoza's near continuous use of definitions, propositions, etc., in The Ethics is not new to me. (I'm reading an English translation entitled The Ethics. However, I've also seen English versions simply entitled Ethics.)