News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Futurism up for discussion.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 28, 2016, 05:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

LMNO

And quoting because new page. 
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 29, 2016, 07:50:44 PM
I am not interested in transhumanism or any of that infantile shit.  I am, in this thread, asking how things get done in the future to keep the toilets from exploding and the economy from melting faster than the icecaps and. oh yeah, those.

I'm reading some interesting stuff right now on economics as described rather than "as prescribed".  It's a fucking horrorshow.

LMNO

Incidentally, may I ask what it is you're reading?

The Wizard Joseph

I'm thinking that the impact of crypto-currency and the shadow banking facilitated by the Internet and our advanced mathematical computing abilities is just starting. I'm very far from an expert but it sure does seem like a big damn deal as I sit and speculate. The ability to covertly transmit large amounts of value instantly is a MAJOR contributor to crime and institutional corruption. the Spartans even had a heavy and inconvenient spoiled iron currency for day to day trade in a direct attempt to mitigate this, reserving gold and such for external trade conducted by the royal houses. Now the stage is set in the exact opposite fashion. Folks could be carrying a 50mil bitcoin wallet on a thumbdrive in their pocket nobody the wiser.

I also wonder about the effects crypto-currency is having on the markets, but lack any real technical understanding. What I do know is that the international currency markets were already the least regulated in the world and that barring some sort of global economic pact there's no getting them out of the system as long as the exchanges keep valuing them.

Is this along the lines of discussion you had in mind here?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

trix

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 29, 2016, 07:50:44 PM
I am not interested in transhumanism or any of that infantile shit.  I am, in this thread, asking how things get done in the future to keep the toilets from exploding and the economy from melting faster than the icecaps and. oh yeah, those.

I'm reading some interesting stuff right now on economics as described rather than "as prescribed".  It's a fucking horrorshow.

Yes.  I'm just talking about using technology to keep the toilets from exploding and my goddamn washing machine running.  As for the economy, meh, I think that shit is toast and we'll need a new one.

The problem is, by now society has come to the realization that we have the technology to, for example, replace energy sources with renewable ones.  However, we do not have the money.  We have the technology to make all vehicles fully electric, and charge them via renewable energy sources.  We have the ability to grow enough good clean food for everyone, but we don't have the funding for that level of operation.  We do, however, have PLENTY of funding for the mega expensive endless circus we've made of our elections, and for the incredibly large amount of multi-million dollar hollywood films that come out each year, and of course the war racket.

In my mind the question is, how do we look past our broken economy to get the shit done that needs to get done to stop the toilets from exploding down the line?

That's why I said all that shit about having a positive revenue stream.  If the shit makes money, people who want to make money will want to fund another one.  People who have lots of money want to make money, generally.  The more that get funded and created, the more humans are living in a sustainable way.

America is the perfect place to start, as our consumption of finite resources is extremely high, and the potential for revenue similarly high.

I can shrug even harder than Atlas did.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

trix

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 29, 2016, 08:20:50 PM
I'm thinking that the impact of crypto-currency and the shadow banking facilitated by the Internet and our advanced mathematical computing abilities is just starting. I'm very far from an expert but it sure does seem like a big damn deal as I sit and speculate. The ability to covertly transmit large amounts of value instantly is a MAJOR contributor to crime and institutional corruption. the Spartans even had a heavy and inconvenient spoiled iron currency for day to day trade in a direct attempt to mitigate this, reserving gold and such for external trade conducted by the royal houses. Now the stage is set in the exact opposite fashion. Folks could be carrying a 50mil bitcoin wallet on a thumbdrive in their pocket nobody the wiser.

I also wonder about the effects crypto-currency is having on the markets, but lack any real technical understanding. What I do know is that the international currency markets were already the least regulated in the world and that barring some sort of global economic pact there's no getting them out of the system as long as the exchanges keep valuing them.

Is this along the lines of discussion you had in mind here?

Cash is much much easier for crime and corruption than Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is NOT anonymous by any means, and people using it for illegal goods get caught all the time.  The value of Bitcoin to crime is in using it over the internet, like Paypal, but with less need to register.

Add to that the fact that much of the corruption here in the US is from our own government and banks, which can transfer huge mega sums of money anywhere quickly for corrupt, criminal, or other immoral purposes while leaving far less of a trail to investigate and get caught.  Entities that not only do so regularly, as a matter of course, but have the authority to print new money in massive economy-damaging amounts and they do THAT regularly.

Bitcoin has all kinds of issues but its reputation as a crime-supporting anonymous internet druglord currency (IE: Silkroad) is overblown and inaccurate.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on July 29, 2016, 07:57:18 PM
Incidentally, may I ask what it is you're reading?

A bunch of Micheal Lewis and two papers out of the Rand corporation.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: trix on July 29, 2016, 08:46:54 PM

As for the economy, meh, I think that shit is toast and we'll need a new one.

It doesn't work that way.  No.  You cannot just hand out Newbux and make everything okay.  You can't even get rid of the federal reserve (if you're the kind of person that wants to). You can't go back to silver and you can't go back to gold (there isn't enough of either), and if you just replace one fiat currency with another, the problems all remain PLUS less people have confidence in it.

We're going to have to figure out how to fix THIS one. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: trix on July 29, 2016, 08:55:43 PM
Entities that not only do so regularly, as a matter of course, but have the authority to print new money in massive economy-damaging amounts and they do THAT regularly.

No they fucking don't.  The vast majority of the money that is printed is simply to replace worn out bills which are then destroyed.  If they were just printing new money to get out of trouble, you'd know it because a loaf of bread would cost $90.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 29, 2016, 09:10:40 PM
Quote from: trix on July 29, 2016, 08:46:54 PM

As for the economy, meh, I think that shit is toast and we'll need a new one.

It doesn't work that way.  No.  You cannot just hand out Newbux and make everything okay.  You can't even get rid of the federal reserve (if you're the kind of person that wants to). You can't go back to silver and you can't go back to gold (there isn't enough of either), and if you just replace one fiat currency with another, the problems all remain PLUS less people have confidence in it.

We're going to have to figure out how to fix THIS one.

I wonder if a low-value, universal commodity, like fresh water, might not serve as a commodity basis for a universal currency. Otherwise I don't think that the system can be fixed given the unfortunate priorities in our value systems.

If shit gets bad enough those values could change dramatically whether we want them to or not.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 29, 2016, 10:52:36 PM

I wonder if a low-value, universal commodity, like fresh water, might not serve as a commodity basis for a universal currency.

Joe, I'm gonna step back for just a second and let you try to see the obvious flaw with that.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 29, 2016, 11:11:51 PM

I wonder if a low-value, universal commodity, like fresh water, might not serve as a commodity basis for a universal currency.

Joe, I'm gonna step back for just a second and let you try to see the obvious flaw with that.

I'll give it a shot, and can guess at particular things, but what's obvious to you I can't guess. I've never tried to think of it in real terms before though, so here we go.

It's of almost no real value and any real commodity exchange would require quite a bit more energy than the water could ever represent. A traincar full of gold's value is such that actual relative cost of transportation would be negligible, if high risk.

Now that I think about it the idea of a low-val commodity currency is just flaxscrip in a different wrapper. Kinda funny idea, totally unworkable in the current system.

The water thing might work if it was profoundly high-value and strongly guaranteed somehow, but that would be either post-apocalyptic or perhaps interstellar scifi and not at all real world.

All I got for the moment. Anywhere near the mark?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 29, 2016, 09:12:31 PM
Quote from: trix on July 29, 2016, 08:55:43 PM
Entities that not only do so regularly, as a matter of course, but have the authority to print new money in massive economy-damaging amounts and they do THAT regularly.

No they fucking don't.  The vast majority of the money that is printed is simply to replace worn out bills which are then destroyed.  If they were just printing new money to get out of trouble, you'd know it because a loaf of bread would cost $90.

The fed doesn't print (much) new money, but the banks print a crapload.  They loan it into existence.  The reason this hasn't made a loaf of bread cost $90 is because the new money is going to the wealthy and they don't need that much bread.

Faust

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 29, 2016, 11:51:59 PM

Not quite.

Hint: its around the pile of dead bodies.

I'll give it a shot, and can guess at particular things, but what's obvious to you I can't guess. I've never tried to think of it in real terms before though, so here we go.

It's of almost no real value and any real commodity exchange would require quite a bit more energy than the water could ever represent. A traincar full of gold's value is such that actual relative cost of transportation would be negligible, if high risk.

Now that I think about it the idea of a low-val commodity currency is just flaxscrip in a different wrapper. Kinda funny idea, totally unworkable in the current system.

The water thing might work if it was profoundly high-value and strongly guaranteed somehow, but that would be either post-apocalyptic or perhaps interstellar scifi and not at all real world.

All I got for the moment. Anywhere near the mark?
Not quite.

HINT: its located near the pile of dead bodies.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

As a guess in light of Faust's hint,

Water becomes even more competed for strategically as "market forces" begin to drive water policy worldwide resulting in a whole lot of market "losers", by which I mean probably billions of innocent folks dead from war, water shortages natural and engineered, and miscellaneous secondary effects like disease and industrial pollution.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl