News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Futurism up for discussion.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 28, 2016, 05:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 03, 2016, 11:21:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 01, 2016, 05:11:32 AM
Quote from: CBXTN on August 01, 2016, 04:33:28 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 01, 2016, 04:23:53 AM
All absolute beliefs are stupid.

This sounds like a zenarchist's koan

Only if it's the kind of zen where you get to beat on fuckers with a stick.  Zazzen or some shit like that.

"The Stick of Compassion," as it is known.

Those Zen motherfuckers have a great sense of humor.

I am one compassionate asshat.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

My dad has occasionally suggested that I get a water treatment cert as a way to pretty much write my ticket anywhere I so choose to go. I'm thinking that I may just do that after I resolve my issues with my ex-employer, and hopefully acquire educational funds, but really don't know where to start.

It appeals to me as a fundamental process worth understanding pretty much no matter what. Water solutions for the future are only going to become more important no matter if we're successful or manage to fuck the pooch entirely, even more so in space I figure.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 04, 2016, 03:46:07 AM
My dad has occasionally suggested that I get a water treatment cert as a way to pretty much write my ticket anywhere I so choose to go. I'm thinking that I may just do that after I resolve my issues with my ex-employer, and hopefully acquire educational funds, but really don't know where to start.

It appeals to me as a fundamental process worth understanding pretty much no matter what. Water solutions for the future are only going to become more important no matter if we're successful or manage to fuck the pooch entirely, even more so in space I figure.

It's not a bad idea.  A tech 3 can pretty much shit on the hiring office floor and get a job.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 04, 2016, 04:31:01 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 04, 2016, 03:46:07 AM

It's not a bad idea.  A tech 3 can pretty much shit on the hiring office floor and get a job.

What is this tech 3 and how does one get it? I figure if I'm going to be shooting for utility, might as well get good at it. I'm currently at a technical level just slightly above "janky, klutzy chimp". Just about the only exceptions to this are (barely) passable computer operation ability and LOTS of electronic assembly and repair, but that's mostly about focus and a steady hand, beyond spec knowledge.

My car is a rattling death trap that used to be a Toyota once. This is the measure of my ability and natural inclination. I've forgotten to properly replace the oil cap after filling about three times now in 4 years, the shit's stained everything. So many things don't work that it's almost laughable, but not funny. I went without heat last winter when the electricals went all dead on the panel. Did you know that cracking a window slightly will prevent frosting because the heat equilibrium prevents condensation? I didn't have to think about it until I lost the rear defroster last winter. I drive with two windows open to vent the fumes out of the cab.

What I'm saying is I'm not sure it's my thing, but if I don't do something my ignorance will catch up with me eventually in a final sort of way.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10/us-army-says-ground-warfare-is-on-cusp.html?m=1

This article seems to be along the lines of some of the OP. It's kinda nuts to think about how many different sort of "strategic competencies" perhaps might go into any future battles, and that "overmatch" is a word being used to describe some very real possibility in the future for the US.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl