News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Baton Rouge police shootings

Started by MMIX, July 17, 2016, 08:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

BBC news report
QuoteThree police officers have been killed and three injured in a shooting in the southern US city of Baton Rouge.
One suspect is dead and two others may still be at large. Witnesses reported a man firing indiscriminately.

and they just interviewed Rep Valarie Hodges of the Louisiana House of Representatives [white R].
Her take? They must have been from out of state because we all love our police. Also - that racism is the latest excuse for anarchy!

wake me up when they start shooting politicians would you?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

East Coast Hustle

Apparently the shooter was an ex-Marine, honorable discharge at the rank of sergeant. Turned into some internet CT weirdo and then this.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Sovereign citizen type, I heard.  Moorish Science Temple influenced stuff.

Junkenstein

Not been following this, I assume from the "was" and other past tense use the guy will not be standing at any kind of trial due to a chronic case of death?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Cop killer and black man?

It's only a miracle they didn't blow him up.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 18, 2016, 04:34:28 PM
Cop killer and black man?

It's only a miracle they didn't blow him up.

You know... it's the use of ordinance, however delivered, that has me most concerned out of the bits of the recent havoc I've been able to follow.

Cops using bombs on citizens is... not my kind of government. I don't care how dangerous they think one is. It's a means of slaughter with very little accountability. I refused to participate in the building or delivery of such to so many in our long and brutal foreign wars of "interest". I couldn't stop the beast, but I sure as fuck didn't have to participate in feeding it.

Now it's all coming back home. Watch the "first world" get a taste of the kind of protection that they were sold for their freedom. Think there isn't a point where anyone and anything could wind up on an "acceptable losses" roster?

Fuck they probably won't be bothering with keeping the lists after. Not once things get hectic.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

It's more the willing escalation to possible collateral damage. We're used to stupid overreactions with guns as law enforcement has been shooting the shit out of things for years. Guns can fuck things up but c4 can do a fuck of a lot more than any bullet. Just wait for the first time this ruptures a gas main or something and you're looking at a shitload of innocent dead people and the event will get justified as a reasonable given the danger the officers were facing.

Moderate odds on this event killing police officals.
Good odds on protestors or local activists by happy coincidence for some.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 18, 2016, 08:38:45 PM
It's more the willing escalation to possible collateral damage. We're used to stupid overreactions with guns as law enforcement has been shooting the shit out of things for years. Guns can fuck things up but c4 can do a fuck of a lot more than any bullet. Just wait for the first time this ruptures a gas main or something and you're looking at a shitload of innocent dead people and the event will get justified as a reasonable given the danger the officers were facing.

Moderate odds on this event killing police officals.
Good odds on protestors or local activists by happy coincidence for some.

It's the extra room for that "accidental" that worries me most both in terms of crooked or desperate cops and the eventual strategic anticipation of the response by our new "sophisticated" criminal-terrorist class. Like what happens if some, oh, toxic suspension or a nice radio-compound gets aerosolized or the holdout was already rigged to blow? It's a VERY bad strategic choice in addition to the humanity issues. I don't blame them against a trained sniper, but I suspect that this is a very bad habit about to form.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

I'd say (and Roger may be in a better position to comment) any size of explosion in an industrial area has the potential for serious numbers of casualties. gas/oil/chemical plants have safeguards built into the process line but these are generally designed to deal with process issues only. Not many guards against explosives unless dealing with defense sites.

Terrorist attempts within the past 18 months at oxygen plants (ap France) indicate that this is at least in realms of consideration. Can see us forces being very gung ho in just the wrong place with a bang that's a little too big and you'll have your very own Bhopal.

Other side of events like this and others in past week (nice ) increasingly demonstrate what 1 person/small group can do with relatively little planning or resources. Nice attack has raised questions about protecting public space from similar attack. A few more incident like this and you have justification to start deploying counter snipers as standard procedure.

The Wizard Joseph

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 18, 2016, 11:12:05 PM
I'd say (and Roger may be in a better position to comment) any size of explosion in an industrial area has the potential for serious numbers of casualties. gas/oil/chemical plants have safeguards built into the process line but these are generally designed to deal with process issues only. Not many guards against explosives unless dealing with defense sites.

There is beyond a few fat security guards and a traffic barrier at most facilities.  Which is to say, nothing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 19, 2016, 08:48:46 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on July 18, 2016, 11:12:05 PM

There is beyond a few fat security guards and a traffic barrier at most facilities.  Which is to say, nothing.

In a certain context having the live guards on site could be considered a potential resource by the most ruthless sort, should totally avoiding or outright icing them be inconvenient. Easy source of fast and dirty intel or KEYS and also potential "hostages".

I'm not going to elaborate because this is a public forum, but my experience is that  overall industrial security be low in all sorts of very horribly exploitable ways.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

When you see how industrial plants generally treat H+S/Fire regs and other simple shit, it should raise a degree of concern.

There's at least a couple of places in England where the "Emergency showers" are just for show and have been fucked for over 3/5 years. When you can't deal with water out of a showerhead I have little hope that they'll find a solid defence against a determined terrorist, let alone a group.