News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Rio 2016 shitshow thread

Started by Da6s, August 01, 2016, 11:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Sano on August 02, 2016, 05:26:10 PM
Thanks everyone!

Also, in other news, an old lady from a local tv station lit up a broom with the olympic torch and started parading it around. The gifs are amazing  :lulz:

Dona Irene is her name, not a poorly translated nickname or something? I have a series of people who are my new hero and she belongs on it.

MMIX

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 02, 2016, 08:00:09 PM
Quote from: Sano on August 02, 2016, 05:26:10 PM
Thanks everyone!

Also, in other news, an old lady from a local tv station lit up a broom with the olympic torch and started parading it around. The gifs are amazing  :lulz:

Dona Irene is her name, not a poorly translated nickname or something? I have a series of people who are my new hero and she belongs on it.

She seems to be called Maria Irani 
http://tribunadoceara.uol.com.br/noticias/perfil-2/conheca-dona-irene-a-anonima-que-conquistou-o-nordeste-com-seu-bordao-e-preco-pra-torar/
interesting sounding woman, I think [ ?] if the translation is anything like accurate
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Sano

Yeah, her name is Maria Irani. But Irene isn't an uncommon name in Brazil. "Dona" is just "Miss".
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Acuddle

I don't understand how Brazil, with all the money from tourism, culture and the economic boom, somehow stayed poor and even with the subsidies they couldn't prepare anything decent (or even safe for the athletes).
Media didn't cover all the chaos that happened since 2013, at least, where I live (even as brazilian-themed events like Rio Loco happen and get ample coverage).

Quote from: SanoRecently in São Paulo there has been a dislodging of poor people from the state's property; one of the left's few truly charismatic figures, Eduardo Suplicy, was arrested for trying to resist it with the people who lived there. São Paulo's mayor, Fernando Haddad, who ordered the dislodging, is actually also in the same political party as Suplicy. For this and for litterally confiscating homeless people's blankets during winter he is losing support of the left (which has always been small in São Paulo anyway) very fast; he never had support from the right because of the other terrible, terrible things he has done such as putting biker lanes in the city.
How is such a guy still alive and free :x ? There's poorly-veiled-behind-law lack of respect for human life in dislodging poor people, and there's blatant and criminal lack of such respect in confiscating blankets.
There may be a coup (or at least, the forceful overtaking of a mayoral position) after the Olympics there.

Cain

I can explain the first part easy:  the contracts were given to political insiders who pocketed the difference.  They said "sure, I can build your accommodation for $100 million" and then spent $10 million on it while charging the government the higher cost.

And they'll get away with it, because that's the whole point of the Olympics nowadays, as a way for politically connected insiders to make huge amounts of money.  I used to work for a company, whose chief investor was one of these types of people.  He made tens of millions during the London Olympics, and even more afterwards because the government arranged the sale of land from the Olympics at suspiciously low prices, which another of his company's bought up.

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Sano

Quote from: Acuddle on August 03, 2016, 12:53:17 PM
Quote from: SanoRecently in São Paulo there has been a dislodging of poor people from the state's property; one of the left's few truly charismatic figures, Eduardo Suplicy, was arrested for trying to resist it with the people who lived there. São Paulo's mayor, Fernando Haddad, who ordered the dislodging, is actually also in the same political party as Suplicy. For this and for litterally confiscating homeless people's blankets during winter he is losing support of the left (which has always been small in São Paulo anyway) very fast; he never had support from the right because of the other terrible, terrible things he has done such as putting biker lanes in the city.
How is such a guy still alive and free :x ? There's poorly-veiled-behind-law lack of respect for human life in dislodging poor people, and there's blatant and criminal lack of such respect in confiscating blankets.
There may be a coup (or at least, the forceful overtaking of a mayoral position) after the Olympics there.

You'd be surprised at how much of a minor issue that was when it happened. Disregard for the poor is rampant in Brazil and in São Paulo in particular. We're not at the level of the Philippines but there's a lot of hate going on.

Also, what Cain said. And it's important to remember that the average brazillian now has a way more comfortable lifestyle than in the nineties.

And, well, depending on who you ask a coup is already taking place, as many think the impeachment procceedings going on are basically unfounded.

Quote from: Da6s on August 03, 2016, 06:17:25 PM
Air quality is apparently worse than the water quality?  :?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016-rios-air-more-deadly-than-its-water-study-finds-a7169371.html

That's because the Guanabara Bay is what's polluted and we don't get our water from there as far as I know. As for air pollution it depends on where on the city you are, but I haven't seen anyone think it's a major deal recently. But again I'm a bit out of the loop.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Cain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36971906

QuoteThe Olympic torch has arrived in Rio de Janeiro by boat after a three-month tour of Brazilian cities.

The mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes, carried the torch on its first few laps through the city centre.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 04, 2016, 05:41:20 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36971906

QuoteThe Olympic torch has arrived in Rio de Janeiro by boat after a three-month tour of Brazilian cities.

The mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes, carried the torch on its first few laps through the city centre.

:spittake:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Junkenstein

Quote from: Freeky on August 04, 2016, 07:34:23 AM
Paes!  Explain yourself!

While he's at it, he can explain tickling too. Enquiring minds need to know.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Da6s