News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Rio 2016 shitshow thread

Started by Da6s, August 01, 2016, 11:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

Quote from: Cain on August 04, 2016, 05:41:20 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36971906

QuoteThe Olympic torch has arrived in Rio de Janeiro by boat after a three-month tour of Brazilian cities.

The mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes, carried the torch on its first few laps through the city centre.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/08/02/3803298/rio-olympics-eduardo-paes-sustainability/
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

Quote from: Sano on August 02, 2016, 05:08:34 PM
Quote from: Da6s on August 02, 2016, 04:28:47 PM
Sano,

Any confirmation on today's mass protests that are being reported? Is the unrest being portrayed actually accurate?

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/world/article92947932.html

There have been mass protests basically monthly in every major brazillian city since 2013. This is a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try.

So now, and specially with the recent political scandals, there's always mass protests, but at the media's whim and with a lot of manipulation by it and the right.

tl;dr It's utter chaos down here.

Found an article full of pics from Tuesday's protest: http://www.voaafrique.com/a/rio-olympics-protest/3447177.html

Edit: Voir Plus? on that site expands for the rest of them.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

In general olympics news today (as I'm religiously reading this stuff the next 3 weeks), skateboarding is an official sport for 2020 Tokyo, which is fucking AWESOME. As a devout snowboarder, I say it should've been all along.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wish they would make the Olympics go back to once every four years. With the summer and winter split up, it just feels like it's Olympics all the damn time. I don't even know anyone who cares about them anymore.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 05, 2016, 03:17:07 AM
I wish they would make the Olympics go back to once every four years. With the summer and winter split up, it just feels like it's Olympics all the damn time. I don't even know anyone who cares about them anymore.

The only thing I care about in these games is that for the first time there's a refugee team, nationless and representing the global refugee crisis.

It's gutwrenching.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Da6s

This morning we have a child prostitution ring near the village being broken up, flooding in a village hotel, media being robbed INSIDE their rooms in media village, GB's swim team having all their kits stolen & now being without olympic swimwear. All just a few hours before the opening ceremony.

Oh, and everyone is also prohibited from making gif's of the olympics  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Da6s on August 05, 2016, 04:25:09 PM
This morning we have a child prostitution ring near the village being broken up, flooding in a village hotel, media being robbed INSIDE their rooms in media village, GB's swim team having all their kits stolen & now being without olympic swimwear. All just a few hours before the opening ceremony.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

trix

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Way to guarantee a metric fuckton of gifs get made!!

I'm looking forward to it.

Seriously though, what were they thinking?  Everyone is just going to do what they want just because?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Da6s

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Da6s on August 05, 2016, 09:33:04 PM
We have a shitload of spies running defense, apparently.

QuoteThe classified report outlines an operation that encompasses all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies, including those of the armed services, and involves human intelligence, spy satellites, electronic eavesdropping, and cyber and social media monitoring.

We are the worst police state ever.  All the other oligarchies laugh at us.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: Da6s on August 05, 2016, 04:25:09 PM

wat

Da6s

...wow.

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/08/05/rio_roadside_shoot_out.php

QuoteThe 2016 Summer Olympics are scheduled to begin today, but for some it has already began with a bang.

Upon their arrival in Rio, a bus full of Chinese basketball reporters was caught in a roadside gunfight. Six locals were killed in the exchange, but no Chinese casualties have been reported.

It's too late to cancel the games, right? Fucking hell. Might as well have sent our athletes and reporters to Syria.

Da6s

Alright, it starts. Commence the next 2 weeks of cesspool swimming and boating coverage with a side of a global Zika Pandemic because why not.

:drama1:

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 05, 2016, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: Da6s on August 05, 2016, 09:33:04 PM
We have a shitload of spies running defense, apparently.

QuoteThe classified report outlines an operation that encompasses all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies, including those of the armed services, and involves human intelligence, spy satellites, electronic eavesdropping, and cyber and social media monitoring.

We are the worst police state ever.  All the other oligarchies laugh at us.   :sad:

This is what happens when the people want a warhawk police state but also want a transparent government.

America: We demand policies like we order from restaurants.

"Fuck it, I'll have both. Extra fucking mayonaise."
This Certified Popeā„¢ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Da6s

This post is going to be edited & is just going to be my running live commentary of the opening ceremony.

Those ocean/bay swimming aerial shots are a fucking lie. As was the clean beach sand with no garbage or needles or open sewage drains.
That tinfoil blanket segment gave some poor japanese kid a seizure.
Some cool effects in the rainforest. I liked the tree going. Natives dancing with hanging ropes had potential but they didn't live up to it. China's drums were way better.
Take off those stupid ass hats.
Parkour buildings were cool.
Claiming the wright brothers were liars and some brazillian no-name was first in flight pissed me off when my nationalist pride is high. Not cool.
More stupid ass hats.
How sad is it when your country's major international figure to recognize for your ceremony is a vapid model? FFS. I get Aesthetics are a moral imperative but COME ON. Sports or GTFO.
Take off those stupid ass string shirts.
Soapbox derby is something to celebrate? Yeah, ok.
This is a terrible opening ceremony. Like, worst I can ever remember. And I remember stupid salt lake city and their mormon dinosaur.
Yes our stupid monkey species is fucking the planet, we know.
Rio I'ma let you finish, but Spaceship Earth in EPCOT had the best Judi Dench voiceover narration of all time.

Carnevale segment with the samba for closing was cool. Should've led with it. Shots over the shoulder of Cristo showing fireworks in the background were awesome. Cauldron left much to be desired.

Totally lackluster opener. That was 5 hours of my life I won't be getting back. But hey, that's the only 5 hours we as a stupid species come together in peaceful unity every 2 years.