News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

OOO

Started by CBXTN, August 08, 2016, 04:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 08, 2016, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: rong on August 08, 2016, 10:18:55 AM
seems like schrodinger (or his cat) might have something to say about it

Remember that Schrodinger put forth the cat analogy as a way of pointing out that quantum theory was garbage because a cat that's both alive and dead is insane what is wrong with you people.
Really?  I was not aware of that, dude
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 08, 2016, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: rong on August 08, 2016, 10:18:55 AM
seems like schrodinger (or his cat) might have something to say about it

Remember that Schrodinger put forth the cat analogy as a way of pointing out that quantum theory was garbage because a cat that's both alive and dead is insane what is wrong with you people.

Except that he managed to trash his own argument.   :lulz:

If the math says it is, it is.  So the cat is both alive and dead, and the universe doesn't have to decide until you open the box.

Because God cheats.  He DOES roll dice, and they're loaded.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Or, the cat is either alive or dead in this universe, and our math isn't good enough yet. So you have to go look. That is to say,

SHUT UP AND GO OUTSIDE.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on August 09, 2016, 05:38:13 AM
Or, the cat is either alive or dead in this universe, and our math isn't good enough yet. So you have to go look. That is to say,

SHUT UP AND GO OUTSIDE.

No, you don't look, so kitty lives forever.  Maybe.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

CBXTN

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 08, 2016, 09:43:40 PM
Quote from: CBXTN on August 08, 2016, 06:56:54 PM
But your personhood is no more important than any other object in a universe of objects.

That's what I said.  It is the idea that we are basically a smear of infection on a rock orbiting a sun, and that's the only part that matters about us.

It is not a philosophy that improves anything at all.  It is nihilism in a funny dress.  It appeals to people who are afraid of being alive.

That's quite a fast assumption, haha. Did the reflection regarding "hyperobjects" not appeal to you?

CBXTN

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 08, 2016, 10:00:39 PM
It seems to me that using "object" to describe things that are not objects is less of a philosophy and more of a crime against language.

I'd be happy to test this idea, if you are willing.

but first, what exactly is not an object according to you?

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: CBXTN on August 09, 2016, 06:52:16 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 08, 2016, 10:00:39 PM
It seems to me that using "object" to describe things that are not objects is less of a philosophy and more of a crime against language.

I'd be happy to test this idea, if you are willing.

but first, what exactly is not an object according to you?

A thing that I cannot conceive of anything punching is not an object to me. The exception to this being "object" as used in programming language, which is "a thing that I can punch with code."

So, to me, the sun is an object because I can picture Galactus punching it. An atom is an object because I can picture a nanobot punching it. Global warming is not an object because not even Captain Planet can punch it.

Faust

Global warming is a class model, its not an object in the sense that the class Environment does not contain an object Global warming, however it has a shit load of inheritance from lots of other functional-Ohmygodthisisstupid.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CBXTN on August 09, 2016, 06:49:25 AM

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 08, 2016, 09:43:40 PM
Quote from: CBXTN on August 08, 2016, 06:56:54 PM
But your personhood is no more important than any other object in a universe of objects.

That's what I said.  It is the idea that we are basically a smear of infection on a rock orbiting a sun, and that's the only part that matters about us.

It is not a philosophy that improves anything at all.  It is nihilism in a funny dress.  It appeals to people who are afraid of being alive.

That's quite a fast assumption, haha. Did the reflection regarding "hyperobjects" not appeal to you?

Nope.

Slipper

get detaled entries stull b stoopid

The Wizard Joseph

It seems to me like this whole thing is what happens when you actually hit a philosophy student with The Barstool and they just philosophy harder about the stool's equality or some shit.

My inner daemon be like, "Eat 2 dozen oranges and call me in the morning to describe your resulting paradigm."

I don't personally recommend that you listen to my inner daemon tho.
He's a asshole.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 11, 2016, 06:50:25 PM
It seems to me like this whole thing is what happens when you actually hit a philosophy student with The Barstool and they just philosophy harder about the stool's equality or some shit.

My inner daemon be like, "Eat 2 dozen oranges and call me in the morning to describe your resulting paradigm."

He's a asshole.

This is why when you beat philosophy majors, you have to beat them to death.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 11, 2016, 07:37:03 PM

He's a asshole.

According to Zeno, you can only beat him half to death.

AHAHAHAHAHASORRYSORRYSORRY

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 11, 2016, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 11, 2016, 07:37:03 PM

He's a asshole.

According to Zeno, you can only beat him half to death.

AHAHAHAHAHASORRYSORRYSORRY

You're lucky you're already dead and I'm lazy.