News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

High Altitude Hell, part 9: I got nothing.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 11, 2016, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

So, next week is the Kitt Peak Time Trials, the annual bicycle race UP the mountain.  12 miles at an 8-10 degree grade.  It is worth noting that we do not close the road to vehicular traffic for this, and also that we all drive like Steve McQueen (though it many cases it isn't intentional, it just happens that way).  There will be a couple of hundred bicyclists involved, and I cannot be bothered to give a shit about any of them.  This is pure stupidity, and I do not feel that should be rewarded.  Did I mention it's been non-stop thunderstorms for the last 2 weeks?  I admit that I am not opposed to sitting on the 4 meter dome wall and watching idiots in spandex pants get blasted by whatever God is in charge this week.

But that's not what this rant is about.  This rant is about the decline in the quality of the coffee in the mess hall.  They have gone from making it in delicious 5 gallon batches of crunchy goodness to running a hot water line into the back of a machine that contains a gallon of concentrated coffee sludge which then drops unevenly mixed coffee into your cup.  It might be see-through church coffee, or it might be the coffee equivalent of eating an entire bar of unsweetened baker's chocolate. 

This has not improved my mood.

You can do a lot of things to my quality of life, and I will probably ignore them.  Spy on me with drones?  That's your misfortune.  Wiretap me?  Okay, but you might want to check to make sure I'm not prank-calling the receptionist at whatever agency it is in which you work.  Tell me that my e-cig counts as a real cigarette for the purposes of where I can use it?  I'll just ignore you.  But fucking with a man's coffee is wrong.  It's low.

So while you're painfully riding your titanium racing bike up the horrible mountain road, if you see a bearded freak standing behind a giant boulder with a seven-foot pry bar, don't blame me.    It's the kitchen's fault.  I'm just trying to be all I can be.  I'm just trying to state my case.  I'm just trying to address the immoral and unethical things that have been done to me in the name of economy.

Or Kill Me.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

I once felt with a place that decided to scrap the kettle and microwave from the kitchen in an office of 20 or so. To save costs.

The boss was denied the use of resources the employees got a kitty together for. The place later folded and the guy was found out to be embezzling hilariously small sums of cash.

The moral is that an obviously bad decision means that someone is getting paid for it. For a given meaning of paid.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 11, 2016, 10:46:50 PM
I once felt with a place that decided to scrap the kettle and microwave from the kitchen in an office of 20 or so. To save costs.

The boss was denied the use of resources the employees got a kitty together for. The place later folded and the guy was found out to be embezzling hilariously small sums of cash.

The moral is that an obviously bad decision means that someone is getting paid for it. For a given meaning of paid.

Well, it's more that we're 100% government funded at the moment.  A few years back, interest in funding astronomy was nil, and they cut the place to the bone to avoid shutting it down.  Now everything is hurling giant sacks of cash at us, but the boys in the front office don't trust it, so it's better to fail by allowing the infrastructure to collapse than risk over-hiring.

Humans are dumb.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Eater of Clowns

Roger is lizard person. Lizards eat rocks to help digest. Roads in disrepair. Feed lizard person horrible coffee. Lizard person vomits rocks. Rock vomit paves roads.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 11, 2016, 10:52:41 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on August 11, 2016, 10:46:50 PM

Well, it's more that we're 100% government funded at the moment.  A few years back, interest in funding astronomy was nil, and they cut the place to the bone to avoid shutting it down.  Now everything is hurling giant sacks of cash at us, but the boys in the front office don't trust it, so it's better to fail by allowing the infrastructure to collapse than risk over-hiring.

Humans are dumb.

It turns out even Einstein radically underestimated the total levels of goddamned stupid in the universe.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 12, 2016, 01:53:31 AM
Roger is lizard person. Lizards eat rocks to help digest. Roads in disrepair. Feed lizard person horrible coffee. Lizard person vomits rocks. Rock vomit paves roads.

I'm more concerned that they're letting him find the saurian planet and make a map of it.

Further proof that David icke is right.

We really should tell him about all this one day.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 12, 2016, 01:53:31 AM

But I can literally see Mexico from my office.

Junkenstein

Please do not remind eoc of his failures in Mexico. Cartels still have a serious bounty for anyone who produces his head, dead or not.

Da6s

I read the title & had bad flashbacks to spring break texans in Breck.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human