News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I have had a 10 month crash course in this (I have a lot of history with wastewater, but not potable water), but I am by no means the expert.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

MithridatesXXIII

Fascinating nonetheless. I imagine the rainwater is more polluted than people would surmise given the arid climate.

I have friends and family in AZ. Maybe I'll visit that observatory one day.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 16, 2016, 03:05:28 AM
Fascinating nonetheless. I imagine the rainwater is more polluted than people would surmise given the arid climate.

Opposite problem.  It more or less rains distilled water on us.

And if you get out here, I'll give you a proper tour.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2016, 03:07:55 AM
Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 16, 2016, 03:05:28 AM

Opposite problem.  It more or less rains distilled water on us.

And if you get out here, I'll give you a proper tour.

Ah. I imagined fine and toxic dust making it into the clouds, when it probably can't manage to get that high. More for the lungs I suppose. Do the instruments take more damage due to the quality of the rain?

Thanks for the invite.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 16, 2016, 03:17:41 AM
Do the instruments take more damage due to the quality of the rain?

No, less actually, because there's no residue when rainfall or condensation evaporates.

It's just flat water that's really, really bad to drink unless you take supplements for calcium and magnesium. 

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2016, 03:40:07 AM

No, less actually, because there's no residue when rainfall or condensation evaporates.

It's just flat water that's really, really bad to drink unless you take supplements for calcium and magnesium.

I'm drowning in my ignorance about water. I do know how to make holy water though.

You boil the hell out of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 16, 2016, 03:47:04 AM

I'm drowning in my ignorance about water. I do know how to make holy water though.

Unless your problem is metal, in which case you just made it worse a tiny bit.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2016, 04:08:52 AM

Reminds me of Flint. If Trump wanted to earn points he could throw money at getting it fixed as fast as possible.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 16, 2016, 04:22:33 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2016, 04:08:52 AM

Reminds me of Flint. If Trump wanted to earn points he could throw money at getting it fixed as fast as possible.

Flint is not (yet) a lead issue.  No symptoms for a few more months.

Everyone who died in Flint, as I understand it, died from Legionnaire's Disease, because they weren't even using a biocide.

MithridatesXXIII

What ways of water purification would you recommend for a post-apocalyptic world and people of limited means?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 16, 2016, 04:33:47 AM
What ways of water purification would you recommend for a post-apocalyptic world and people of limited means?

a.  Stop worrying about it, the mutants will have your first.
b.  There is no cheap way to do it.  Boiling or bleach works on the critters.  I don't know of a cheap way to get rid of metals.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 16, 2016, 04:33:47 AM

Distillation isn't hard or expensive. Pain in the ass though. Still, if the alternative is to be slowly poisoned, it's probably worth it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 11, 2016, 04:05:26 PM
Quote from: LMNO on November 11, 2016, 01:32:48 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 05:47:25 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 05:36:20 AM
OMG. I tried to explain something by mentioning that we have 50 autonomous states that are able to make their own laws about voter registration and ID, and he retorted by saying that Canada has way more autonomous provinces.

:lulz:

That person is maybe, just maybe, really dumb.

Are we still supposed to respect a person like that?  Some people on FB say Trump won because we didn't respect dumb people, and called them dumb.

Trump won because he actually recognized and offered solutions to their problems, while ALL you could do was call them dumb. Im curious though, "some people on FB" How many of the people who voted for Trump do you actually KNOW?

I'm working with Trump's health department to make sure kids don't ruin their life with pot.