News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

My grandfather lied about his age to enlist in WWII. He looks just like Harrison Ford in his wedding photo, his bride smiling that "fuck you I can't believe you just said that can't you behave for five seconds?" smile. He kicked cigarettes like some folks kick a cold, and called out his asshat son-in-law at Thanksgiving. He dragged my cousin back to school when his father (my grandfather's son) passed away suddenly and his mother was too distraught to function. He raised seven children, who gave him fifteen grandchildren, and five great-grands so far. (This is how you properly kick Darwin's ass, in case you were wondering.) He celebrated his 50th anniversary with his wife and after she passed got himself a girlfriend. He used to get my brother all riled up on sugar and lack of adult supervision before dumping him back on my mom. He always wanted tech support from the kids and grandkids, but he fucking listened and got it after the first time.

He's in the hospital, his girlfriend crashed the car they were in. Surgery went better than could be hoped for, but the recovery is not going well. He's almost 94, and has been in bonus rounds for a while now. His girlfriend was discharged for her own injuries (fractured ribs and cracked sternum to his spinal damage) and he was relieved to see her when she visited. Given his stroke six weeks ago, and everything else, well, it's sensible to be a little pessimistic. Anyway, I thought you all should know the kind of person he is, because he did some awesome shit and the eventual obituary, whether it's this incident that gets him or another in a few months or years, will no doubt be boring and ignored by all.

Fuck 2016.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope he pulls through.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 18, 2016, 11:24:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope he pulls through.   :sad:

I am a terrible person, because I'm not necessarily pulling for him to recover from this one. There are worse ways to go, and the longer things drag on the more likely "worse" becomes. As it stands he'd be looking at hella physical therapy for even upper body mobility after this and an assisted living facility, and none of that is stuff that would make him happy.

Junkenstein

Fuck. Sorry to hear it QG. At least he wasn't shy on the living life front, sounds like he did his fair share.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on December 16, 2016, 08:26:05 PM
Still falls under the current (very out of date) set of rules, since there's an extremely high probability that he was an alternate account of a previously banned member.

But really, I was just tired of him turning every potentially interesting thread on the forum into his personal screechfest. I know it's not technically spamming but it has the exact same effect on the board.

Thank fuck. The board basically became the RP show for a minute there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

A note to the Electoral College:
Its better to be faithless than gutless
YMMV
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: MMIX on December 18, 2016, 05:13:17 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on December 18, 2016, 05:06:25 PM
If he was who we think he was, then hoooooly shit, dude, you have no idea how right you are.

You know I hate to say this but when folks get all secret service about trolls and weirdos it just sounds like a bunch of tin-foil hattery. I know its xmas but the tinfoil goes on the turkey not the cranium - just saying.

Your opinion has been noted and will be given all of the consideration that it merits.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Faust

It occurs to me that we are horribly underprepared for the next 4-8 years. RP ran rings around this place, when he couldn't make a point he would resort to absurdism. He is going to be the least of our problems now.

This is a distress signal: Would all walking glitches please reawaken.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on December 19, 2016, 08:22:44 PM
It occurs to me that we are horribly underprepared for the next 4-8 years. RP ran rings around this place, when he couldn't make a point he would resort to absurdism. He is going to be the least of our problems now.

There would just be more cars in the pileup.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Naw, even if thats the best we could do it beats doing nothing, and a walking glitch doesn't mean a destructive trip, if anything there will be too much of the destructive trip going down.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is a very, very small triumph, but I have been looking for a published deiodinase preadsorption concentration for a week, and I finally found one.

WOOHOO!

Also one of the undergrads I'm training on the scope looks like Harry Potter, and is very annoying.

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 20, 2016, 08:56:50 PM
It is a very, very small triumph, but I have been looking for a published deiodinase preadsorption concentration for a week, and I finally found one.

WOOHOO!

Also one of the undergrads I'm training on the scope looks like Harry Potter, and is very annoying.

Annoying because he looks like Harry Potter, or independent of that?
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

axod

Quote from: Faust on December 19, 2016, 08:22:44 PM

Yeah, xRP was kinda tripping but did provide for interesting thought experiments.  His angle of incidence toward the board was off, bombastically buffoonish, yes, but I would be remiss not to pass along the fleeting idea I have that he could change his ways to be more gentle.  I digress.
just this