News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

So last night, we were long overdue a weirdo coming to harass us at reception.

One duly appeared.

Because the name of one of our colleges is shortened to an acronym which is also the name of a popular kind of household pet, our current weirdo/wannabe comedian was asking us about how he could get accommodation for his pet.  He was going on and on about it, trying to be funny, until we made him leave.

Because he wasn't drunk, high or otherwise mentally incapacitated, I got his photo off the CCTV footage and distributed it to staff.  End of story (unless he comes back).

But then I get an email this morning...:

QuoteIn all cases we should ask politely if we can help, thereafter we should direct him to where he may have requested away from the accommodation.

To which I responded:

QuoteMy apologies.  In the future I shall certainly try and accomodate the man spending 5 minutes asking if he can have his pet be a resident here with more care and courtesy.  Is accommodation for household pets dealt with through the usual booking system, or is there a pet-specific member of staff I should direct him towards?

We treated the individual with the utmost courtesy despite the fact he was taking the piss repeatedly.  He was only asked to leave after he persisted in this behaviour despite our best efforts and he was politely asked to leave.  I take personal and professional insult at the implication that this was not the case or not necessary.

Secondly, I got told off for doing a room check on a student who was leaving the next day, but had already cleared her room and was spending the night with her boyfriend in another room in the building.  My response to that was as follows:

QuoteIn this specific case the student had already moved all of her belongings out of the room and was spending the night with her boyfriend who lived in another room in the building.

I felt in these circumstances it would reduce the workload of the dayshift to carry out the checks there and then.

Clearly such executive decisions are beyond my purview and in the future I shall ensure work is passed over to the day shift unnecessarily due to inflexible protocol.

And I still have another email to answer.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2016, 08:14:57 PM
So last night, we were long overdue a weirdo coming to harass us at reception.

One duly appeared.

Because the name of one of our colleges is shortened to an acronym which is also the name of a popular kind of household pet, our current weirdo/wannabe comedian was asking us about how he could get accommodation for his pet.  He was going on and on about it, trying to be funny, until we made him leave.

Because he wasn't drunk, high or otherwise mentally incapacitated, I got his photo off the CCTV footage and distributed it to staff.  End of story (unless he comes back).

But then I get an email this morning...:

QuoteIn all cases we should ask politely if we can help, thereafter we should direct him to where he may have requested away from the accommodation.

To which I responded:

QuoteMy apologies.  In the future I shall certainly try and accomodate the man spending 5 minutes asking if he can have his pet be a resident here with more care and courtesy.  Is accommodation for household pets dealt with through the usual booking system, or is there a pet-specific member of staff I should direct him towards?

We treated the individual with the utmost courtesy despite the fact he was taking the piss repeatedly.  He was only asked to leave after he persisted in this behaviour despite our best efforts and he was politely asked to leave.  I take personal and professional insult at the implication that this was not the case or not necessary.

Secondly, I got told off for doing a room check on a student who was leaving the next day, but had already cleared her room and was spending the night with her boyfriend in another room in the building.  My response to that was as follows:

QuoteIn this specific case the student had already moved all of her belongings out of the room and was spending the night with her boyfriend who lived in another room in the building.

I felt in these circumstances it would reduce the workload of the dayshift to carry out the checks there and then.

Clearly such executive decisions are beyond my purview and in the future I shall ensure work is passed over to the day shift unnecessarily due to inflexible protocol.

And I still have another email to answer.

:lulz: I love how you are just a very, very polite dick about their dickness.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Sending thought and prayers Cain. I suggest you take cover. I'ma give 'em the Pazuzu Surprise! :magick:

No really though, I say secure your fallback and kick over all of the things on your way out. It sounds like they're going for a farcical set-up with this "pet" nonsense. I'm not saying that's what's up, but it's damn weird on a British sitcom level. Like who even complains to the management about some shit like that? If it was a random, if insipid, prankster why then complain? If a total psycho why would management even blame you? Something is both boring and out of place.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

It was odd.  My co-worker thought it may have been some kind of set-up for a prank on some insipid reality TV show.

I don't think he complained though.  I think my manager took it upon himself, because he likes to occasionally throw his weight around and remind everyone he's Da Boss - usually by flipping his shit over petty things like this.

He's still going on about the pet man, by the way.  He tried to simultaenously backpedal while insinuating I was to blame.  All of this is via a group email for the entire department, by the way, and has been since his initial response.  So I just told him if he puts that little faith in my judgement he can put me in a disciplinary meeting, because I did nothing wrong, and I'll act that way again in similar circumstances.  I also reminded him that he wasn't actually there and I was, and that I wasn't going to put up with his insinuations.

And then I wrote an email to his boss, relating how I'd just had the shittiest night in months and now I was being harassed via email for situations where I did nothing wrong.

I'm also on 2 weeks of holiday from tomorrow, so...  :lulz:

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 10, 2016, 10:00:59 PM
And so it begins.

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2016/08/09/3-d-galaxy-mapping-project-enters-construction-phase/

:banana:

TGRR,
Is a part of this thing.

This is fucking great. Glad to see it's actually being pushed as well, that kind of reaction to a project delay is pretty promising. Hopefully they'll keep that up and mitigate any fuckups nicely.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2016, 10:06:46 PM
It was odd.  My co-worker thought it may have been some kind of set-up for a prank on some insipid reality TV show.

I don't think he complained though.  I think my manager took it upon himself, because he likes to occasionally throw his weight around and remind everyone he's Da Boss - usually by flipping his shit over petty things like this.

He's still going on about the pet man, by the way.  He tried to simultaenously backpedal while insinuating I was to blame.  All of this is via a group email for the entire department, by the way, and has been since his initial response.  So I just told him if he puts that little faith in my judgement he can put me in a disciplinary meeting, because I did nothing wrong, and I'll act that way again in similar circumstances.  I also reminded him that he wasn't actually there and I was, and that I wasn't going to put up with his insinuations.

And then I wrote an email to his boss, relating how I'd just had the shittiest night in months and now I was being harassed via email for situations where I did nothing wrong.

I'm also on 2 weeks of holiday from tomorrow, so...  :lulz:

I'm kind of hoping this does turn into some disciplinary shit because that meeting would be incredible.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

It would, because we did nothing wrong.  And if it was found we did something wrong, which we didn't, I'd tell them I'd do it again, gladly.  And then I'd take it all the way up the chain, framing it, as I have in my emails "be a complete walkover for weirdos" vs "put the welfare of the students first and throw out the crazy fuck".

They're basically saying that they trust my judgement to be in charge of a building of 200 people overnight, but they don't trust my judgement enough on when to make a non-resident leave.  And that they, without being in that situation, can judge that situation better.  It's pretty hilarious.

Junkenstein

I'm just trying to work out how you'd even attempt to run the meeting with a straight face. I've done enough of them on both sides of the table and wouldn't be able to get through this one without laughing.

The Good Reverend Roger

I just finished working out how many man hours I need to keep up with everything, since the mountain has been more or less falling apart since the big cutbacks 3 years ago.  They had laid off 3 people from my crew alone.  Turns out I need 96 more man hours to break even, ie, if I get 3 people back, we will make progress.

It's times like this that make me wonder how we survived between "falling out of the tree" and "harnessing fire".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I know that feeling.  We're currently running a building designed for a team of 12 on a team of 3.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2016, 11:40:55 PM
I know that feeling.  We're currently running a building designed for a team of 12 on a team of 3.

Yeah, there seems to be some form of universal brain damage that says you make more money when there aren't enough employees to actually get anything meaningful accomplished.

we're beginning the install of a few hundred million dollars worth of new tech, but the roads are falling apart.  It's like America in microcosm.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

On the plus side, your project being called "desi" might attract hordes of confused Indian programmers and engineers.

I may not even have a job when I come back off my holiday, at this rate.  I did just call my boss out with extreme sarcasm twice in a public email, for everyone (including his boss) to see.

Junkenstein

As your union representative, I advise you to continue as you are. They probably won't notice sarcasm, it requires reading comprehension.

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2016, 01:17:38 AM
On the plus side, your project being called "desi" might attract hordes of confused Indian programmers and engineers.

I may not even have a job when I come back off my holiday, at this rate.  I did just call my boss out with extreme sarcasm twice in a public email, for everyone (including his boss) to see.

we have two really confused Indian astronomers.  They're adorable.