News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

I should mention, Wurm Online is free to play.  The monthly fee is for Premium Access which allows your skills to rise above 20.  You wont need that for your first month, as your skills wont hit 20 yet and you'd need to learn the game.  It's a very steep, unforgiving, learning curve.

The game is more fun the longer you play it.  At the beginning with low skills it takes a very long time just to feed yourself and find basic shelter.  At higher skill levels you can go to a new area butt naked and a week later have a thriving cottage farm with large stocks of anything useful.  Unlike most games Wurm Online is at the highest difficulty when you first start, and gets easier and easier the farther you get.  This causes the vast majority of new players to join, wander around lost awhile, starve, get eaten by wolves, drown, get killed by a player for stealing his rowboat, then quit, frustrated, and never play again.  But if you can get past that point Wurm Online is one of the greatest games ever made and I don't say that lightly.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

The Good Reverend Roger

Is it wrong to taunt conservatives for a half hour AFTER they go into ALL CAPS FURY?

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 15, 2016, 02:43:53 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 14, 2016, 11:28:49 PM
I got Rust, which is basically Minecraft for adults. But shitty Minecraft with hardly anything you can do and full of assholes that kill you as soon as you wake up. Or you starve to death and lose all your shit.

I already regret spending money on it, and am wondering whether to keep plugging away at it in the hope it eventually becomes fun, or to just bail and get another game.

Anyone have any suggestions? Prefer adventure/puzzle games, and I don't like graphic novels disguised as games. I'm poor so I can't justify spending more than $30, and it has to run on Mac.

If you haven't played Braid, it's a very pretty and clever puzzle game. Right now it's $15, but you only really get 4-6 hours of gameplay from that so wait for a sale for bang for your buck.

There's always Portal, of course, which is fun, funny, and comes with the benefit of near infinite user generated puzzle content. Valve just outright gives that one away on Steam sometimes.

I actually have a fair number of older games, including Portal, Portal 2, Half-Life 2, and Team Fortress 2, which I should perhaps revisit before spending more money on something else.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 15, 2016, 02:20:57 AM
Rust has always been terrible.  The only fun is in playing it with friends and meeting strange assholes/being strange assholes.

I had a quick look on the Steam store, but the only games I can speak from on personal experience would be the enchanced editions of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.  They're not graphically intensive, won't break the bank price wise and come with a decent number of online mods.  The replay value is also reasonable, given the number of potential companions and good/evil choices.

I haven't played either of those... I'll check them out!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 15, 2016, 12:24:51 AM
Quote from: Pergamos on August 14, 2016, 11:36:57 PM
I got Rust, which is basically Minecraft for adults. But shitty Minecraft with hardly anything you can do and full of assholes that kill you as soon as you wake up. Or you starve to death and lose all your shit.

I already regret spending money on it, and am wondering whether to keep plugging away at it in the hope it eventually becomes fun, or to just bail and get another game.

Anyone have any suggestions? Prefer adventure/puzzle games, and I don't like graphic novels disguised as games. I'm poor so I can't justify spending more than $30, and it has to run on Mac.

If you like minecrafty games wurm is really good.  It's a mideval survival game with a player modified world.  wurm online is an MMO,  free to play but costs to progress past a certain point (subscription fee, about $10 a month game cash can be earned in game and used to pay it) wurm unlimited is a one time fee game (I dont remember the cost, about $30 I think) and I haven't played that version but you can set up your own world and play on ones other people have set up.  Designed by the guy who designed minecraft with another guy who still runs it, much prettier graphics than minecraft and a generally friendly community if you go on the PVE servers, the PVP ones are kind of empty and hostile.

I might give it a look even though Minecraft already does Minecraft best. Alty's setting up Morrowind for me though, so that might end up being my time suck.

Hahaha, I've played this! I wonder if I can remember my login information. Assuming they haven't purged it.

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 16, 2016, 02:38:35 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 15, 2016, 02:43:53 AM

If you haven't played Braid, it's a very pretty and clever puzzle game. Right now it's $15, but you only really get 4-6 hours of gameplay from that so wait for a sale for bang for your buck.

There's always Portal, of course, which is fun, funny, and comes with the benefit of near infinite user generated puzzle content. Valve just outright gives that one away on Steam sometimes.

I actually have a fair number of older games, including Portal, Portal 2, Half-Life 2, and Team Fortress 2, which I should perhaps revisit before spending more money on something else.

If it's on sale, Stanley Parable.  I say on sale because even playing through all the endings (well all minus one) it was only ~15 hrs or so.  I don't know how to describe it, a walking simulator with a British guy voice over?

Terraria is like 8 bit looking Minecraft, with some rpg elements. If you build houses they populate with npcs.  I don't know how many hours I put into that thing. 

I liked Undertale, more of a puzzle rpg thing.

Octodad Dadliest catch was amusing for a bit, but the frustration level got too high for me.

Oh Pony Island, if you want a demon puzzle game disguised as a pony platformer.

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

trix

There's also a large amount of great free open source games, like:
Xonotic (FPS) very modern game similar to Unreal Tournament
Kobo Deluxe (arcade) one of my favorite ways to waste a few minutes
Pipewalker (puzzle) great puzzle game
Briquolo (arcade) which is Brick Breaker in 3D
Emilia Pinball (pinball) which is... pinball.
Open Sonic (side-scroller) which is a very faithful Sonic the Hedgehog clone
Secret Maryo Chronicles (mario-clone) Super Mario Bros clone
SuperTux 2 (mario-clone) A Mario-like 2D sidescroller with a penguin twist
FreeDroidRPG (RPG) One of the best games I've played, but a steeper than normal learning curve (it has a unique twist) and it really needs a better GUI.

Free, open source games need all the rep they can get, and the ones listed here (and many more) are fantastic games that compare well to the commercial ones listed.  There are amazing racing games (TORCS, TuxKart, etc), MMORPG's (Daimonin, The Mana World, PlaneShift), and tons more.

None of these cost a dime, and some have so much DLC that you can play new content for years.

Yeah, I've wasted a lot of my life.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Suu

It's my birthday.

In celebration of 34 years and not dead yet, I am making my husband take me downtown where I can go to a bar where Top Gun was filmed. No, I'm not fucking joking.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Junkenstein

Quote from: SuuCal on August 16, 2016, 06:43:30 PM
It's my birthday.

In celebration of 34 years and not dead yet, I am making my husband take me downtown where I can go to a bar where Top Gun was filmed. No, I'm not fucking joking.

Points if you only communicate in film quotes for the ent evening.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

It's my birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3-zaTr6OUo

The Good Reverend Roger

It's my birthday.

Happy birthday, Suu!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Suu

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 16, 2016, 06:49:07 PM
It's my birthday.

Points if you only communicate in film quotes for the ent evening.

I do this regularly. In fact, I drove into San Diego blaring "Dangerzone," so my husband knows damn well what he's in for tonight.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 16, 2016, 07:01:25 PM
It's my birthday.

Happy birthday, Suu!

Thanks!

By the way, Tucson Comic Con offered me a hotel room. It looks shady as fuck, and I can't wait.  :lulz: I'm copping out of Long Beach, because they want me to buy a $400 insurance policy a month out from the con, and I'm calling shenanigans.  I'll eat the $300 table fee, because no fucking con is worth a $700 investment when I know I'm not making the return. Even San Diego doesn't charge that much. Fuck, neither does New York. I'm totally cool with insurance, but that seems a wee fucking ridiculous.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SuuCal on August 16, 2016, 07:35:14 PM
It's my birthday.

Happy birthday, Suu!

Thanks!

By the way, Tucson Comic Con offered me a hotel room. It looks shady as fuck, and I can't wait.  :lulz: I'm copping out of Long Beach, because they want me to buy a $400 insurance policy a month out from the con, and I'm calling shenanigans.  I'll eat the $300 table fee, because no fucking con is worth a $700 investment when I know I'm not making the return. Even San Diego doesn't charge that much. Fuck, neither does New York. I'm totally cool with insurance, but that seems a wee fucking ridiculous.

You'll see us at the Tucson one.  What hotel?  If it's one of the bad ones, you can bunk with us.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 16, 2016, 08:36:01 PM
Quote from: SuuCal on August 16, 2016, 07:35:14 PM
It's my birthday.

Happy birthday, Suu!

Thanks!

You'll see us at the Tucson one.  What hotel?  If it's one of the bad ones, you can bunk with us.

Arizona Riverpark Inn. It's like it wants to be a resort, but isn't. But the reviews don't suck.