News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

So, we finished installing the DESI prototype today.  It occurs to me that I've come a long, long way since 1996.  Tomorrow Ron and I do the thermal imaging of the dome overnight, to make sure the new paint job on the dome isn't overheating the skin, and then diagnostics run for a couple of days.  On Monday we go on-sky.  Despite the persistent problems occurring with the fiber optics, this is going to be amazing.  I imagine this is what it must have felt like being in the Houston control room when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.

:jihaad:

TGRR,
On a clear night, I can see 100,000 light years.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SuuCal on August 18, 2016, 01:05:18 AM
The San Bernadino (Blue Cut) Fire is now up to 35,000-65,000 acres. 0% contained. This is bad. And now there's one in Spring Valley, here in San Diego County not far out from the city near La Mesa and El Cajon. Substantial sized suburbs.

Fuck. This. If anything makes there way to my corner of San Diego, thousands of military families are going to be displaced.

Meanwhile, Louisiana is fucking underwater.

But Global Warming is a goddamn myth, keep watching Trump flap his lips.

Good luck, Suu.  If worst comes to worst, run back out here.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on August 18, 2016, 01:19:10 AM

I found out the previous pope made him a monsignor.  Geh.

Burke is from our area, I hateses him.

It's been a very long time since the Catholic church was a meritocracy.   :lulz:

Suu

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on August 18, 2016, 01:19:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 17, 2016, 04:51:17 AM
Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on August 17, 2016, 04:38:31 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 17, 2016, 04:03:52 AM
Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on August 17, 2016, 03:48:52 AM
You know, I thought my Dad was acquiring his conservative weirdness from Fox News or his nutty friend, until I went to church with him recently.  My parents are very Catholic and their new priest was saying that even though the Assumption wasn't considered a holy day of obligation that he thought the bishops were wrong and that you should go because black masses are happening in Oklahoma.  If you couldn't go you should say the Hail Mary a lot because Satanists are causing the murder rate to rise with the black masses.  Satanist are literally calling Satan up to tell people to murder each other, but Hail Marys will stop that.   :horrormirth:

Then continued on with his interpretation of the father against son gospel that played so well into his world view.    Someone you care about could be calling up Satan right now!

Church has always seemed weird to me but that was a tad much.

Your dad's priest is a Manichean heretic?

I had to look that up and, yeah he is!  All while spouting how heresy is bad.

I have memorized a ridiculous amount of theology in which I have no belief whatsoever.   :lol:

I found out the previous pope made him a monsignor.  Geh.

Burke is from our area, I hateses him.

Gnostic heresies are fucking BIZARRE. It's weird hearing of one popping up in the west. Especially someone representing the Chalcedonian rite. Seriously a non believe in the Annunciation, and they gave him a priesthood?  :lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 18, 2016, 01:39:58 AM
The San Bernadino (Blue Cut) Fire is now up to 35,000-65,000 acres. 0% contained. This is bad. And now there's one in Spring Valley, here in San Diego County not far out from the city near La Mesa and El Cajon. Substantial sized suburbs.

Fuck. This. If anything makes there way to my corner of San Diego, thousands of military families are going to be displaced.

AND THEN I WILL BE IN TUCSON FOREVER

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SuuCal on August 18, 2016, 01:44:37 AM

we all float down here, Suu

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 18, 2016, 02:09:04 AM

40% contained, evacuations lifted.

Tucson has actually gotten more rain than San Diego this year. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SuuCal on August 18, 2016, 02:40:22 AM

Everyone drowned 3 weeks ago.

Seriously, Kitt Peak is SOGGY.  I am actually throwing water over the side, because we're completely full.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 18, 2016, 01:39:08 AM
So, we finished installing the DESI prototype today.  It occurs to me that I've come a long, long way since 1996.  Tomorrow Ron and I do the thermal imaging of the dome overnight, to make sure the new paint job on the dome isn't overheating the skin, and then diagnostics run for a couple of days.  On Monday we go on-sky.  Despite the persistent problems occurring with the fiber optics, this is going to be amazing.  I imagine this is what it must have felt like being in the Houston control room when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.

TGRR,

YOINK!

Freeky

I feel like shouting "I AM A GOD" at passing traffic because I fixed my computer from being stuck in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

LMNO

This is currently the Louisiana state motto.

minuspace

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 18, 2016, 04:21:45 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 18, 2016, 01:39:08 AM

TGRR,

YOINK!

:lulz:

By all means.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 18, 2016, 02:43:17 AM
Quote from: SuuCal on August 18, 2016, 02:40:22 AM

Everyone drowned 3 weeks ago.

Seriously, Kitt Peak is SOGGY.  I am actually throwing water over the side, because we're completely full.

We could see that mess if we looked East. No clouds settled over us, but on "humid" days, it was sweeping it, and then building on the other side of the mountains. Then, we got visuals of these immense anvil clouds in the distance, and you KNOW whats at the bottom side of those fuckers.

I'm sitting out with some friends, looking out over the canyon, and we're staring at that shit build, drinking our Pacifico like proper po'bucker Californians, when one of them goes, "See that? That's Arizona. Or what's left of it, anyway."

The Good Reverend Roger

:lulz:

AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN my electricians are totally stumped on a problem.  Thing is, one of them is inexperienced and the other is really more of an HVAC guy.  So I wander over, identify the problem in about 15 minutes, and we fix it in about an hour.

They apparently think I'm some kind of genius, but it's really just a case of having seen most of this type of shit a million times and knowing how to step back and actually look at the problem.  By which I mean, don't marry yourself to a theory.

Anyway, I AM MAINTENANCE MONKEY, HEAR ME ROAR.