News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2016, 06:37:57 PM
Oh, yeah.  Run The Jewels is pretty amazing. I even tend to overlook El-P's tough-guy misogyny/homophobia because of his talent.

I think, when compared with a lot others, he's awfully tame when it comes to miogyny/homophobia. And then I saw a couple of music videos and notices he smirks practically the entire time. I suspect he's very aware of the image he projects and a lot of it is tongue in cheek.

Now, Killer Mike, on the other hand is absolutely a god damned asshole. Fortunately, those instrumental versions are still great.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Pergamos

Quote from: LMNO on August 23, 2016, 06:34:12 PM
Her supporters will bend over backwards and holler that she was taken out of context about vaccination, but they really don't have anything to say about her anti-GMO or "cell phones cause cancer" routines.

Im anti GMO, not because they are bad for people but because Glyphosate is and I really don't like intellectual property applying to DNA, especially in ways that have resulted in farmers being sued after their crops were pollinated by a GMO neighbor.  BT genes getting into wild crops is also a distinct possibility and would be a disaster or the environment. 

Suu

Quote from: Pergamos on August 24, 2016, 10:53:34 PM
Her supporters will bend over backwards and holler that she was taken out of context about vaccination, but they really don't have anything to say about her anti-GMO or "cell phones cause cancer" routines.

Im anti GMO, not because they are bad for people but because Glyphosate is and I really don't like intellectual property applying to DNA, especially in ways that have resulted in farmers being sued after their crops were pollinated by a GMO neighbor.  BT genes getting into wild crops is also a distinct possibility and would be a disaster or the environment.

Then you're anti-intellectual property being applied to DNA and anti-chemical pesticide, not anti-GMO. 
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Pergamos

Quote from: SuuCal on August 24, 2016, 11:19:00 PM

Then you're anti-intellectual property being applied to DNA and anti-chemical pesticide, not anti-GMO.

The transfer of BT genes to wild crops is specifically a GMO concern, the rest is all tied up with GMOs.

LMNO

Trolling Libertarians is much more fun and a lot easier when you remember they're just another flavor of Utopia, with all the same inherent structural failures.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SuuCal on August 24, 2016, 11:19:00 PM

Beat me to it.  My only issue with GMO food is the predatory business practices of Monsanto. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2016, 11:41:10 PM
Trolling Libertarians is much more fun and a lot easier when you remember they're just another flavor of Utopia, with all the same inherent structural failures.

Sure.  They believe in things that just aren't so.

You can believe in anything you want, but the universe doesn't care, and one day the universe will adjust those beliefs with sometimes fatal results.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, yeah.  Run The Jewels is pretty amazing. I even tend to overlook El-P's tough-guy misogyny/homophobia because of his talent.

Is that pronounced "ell pee", "ee ell pee", "ell dash pee", or some other variant?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

WOW this post is so full of woo-type misinformation that I don't know where to start. Here, have some useful factual information.

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2016/05/18/glyphosate-and-cancer

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/10/18/163034053/top-five-myths-of-genetically-modified-seeds-busted

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/testing/genepatents

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/06/130614-supreme-court-gene-patent-ruling-human-genome-science/

The one thing you said that may have merit is lateral gene transfer from domestic crops to wild plants. However, the chances that THAT particular gene would transfer are similar to the chances that the gene would transfer from the soil bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis which already produces BT toxin everywhere in the world... smaller, actually, since the bacterium are universal and most "jumping genes" are transferred from microbes due to their ubiquity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 25, 2016, 01:35:37 AM

Is that pronounced "ell pee", "ee ell pee", "ell dash pee", or some other variant?
I'd think that second one, and the first in second,

LMNO

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

I spent last evening alone in the house (everyone else went to a movie; I hate theaters).

So I got on some anti-hunting concern page on facebook and was relentlessly wrong at them all night.  I was wrong about everything, and I had 300 replies from people who were just frantic to correct me, before the admins booted me.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on August 25, 2016, 04:36:47 PM
Well played, sir.

It's liberating as hell, and it drives people bugshit.  Even the people who realized I was trolling were driven to correct me.  I recommend it.