News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

My sister-in-law passed yesterday. She was born with cerebral palsy and made it to 42. I defy you to find anyone who fought harder or squeezed more out of a body, but in the end hers had nothing left at all. The Easter Seals of North Texas was (were?) a huge part of the successes in her life. Should you find yourself in a charitable mood they are good people.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 12, 2016, 02:08:37 PM
My sister-in-law passed yesterday. She was born with cerebral palsy and made it to 42. I defy you to find anyone who fought harder or squeezed more out of a body, but in the end hers had nothing left at all. The Easter Seals of North Texas was (were?) a huge part of the successes in her life. Should you find yourself in a charitable mood they are good people.

Shit. That is some very hard stuff. I'm sorry.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO on September 12, 2016, 03:21:01 PM
Sorry to hear that.  You OK?

Yeah, we've got the "shit outwards" model going well here, and I've got enough support outside of the inner circle to do my job taking on their shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on September 10, 2016, 06:54:24 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 10, 2016, 06:52:35 PM
I'm back. All my plans to go west are no more. Perhaps next year, IDK. My dad has encouraged me to write after seeing some of my stuff, so I'm going to get a simple job and do that for myself while I figure out my life. Figure I'll finish the Genesis of Eris first, but after that it's going to be "The Assault on Christmas". I may send some things to folks in PM about "the plot" and have questions before I get to that.

But it would seem someone said something about ORANGES?

.... urge to mark all as read intensifies.

ORANGES?!  Where?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 12, 2016, 02:08:37 PM

Sorry for your loss.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Roger: "It's the main bearing."

Larry: "No, it's a cable."

Roger:  "A cable is making the telescope wobble?"

Larry:  "It's a fucking cable."

Roger:  "Isn't."

Larry:  "Do you have any idea what it takes to change that bearing?  We have to disconnect 600 wire harnesses, take off the instruments, Disconnect the drives, and lift the whole fucking thing 3 feet.  Then we have to do the reverse AND balance it."

Roger:  "Since when has the difficulty of the solution played any role in troubleshooting?  It's an ugly fact, but that doesn't make it any less true.  You're a smart guy, stop hiding from reality."

Larry:  "I fucking hate you.  I hate this telescope.  I hate this mountain.  I hate everything about Western civilization.  I want to die."

Roger:  "I know.  Let me know when you want to start planning the job."

Larry:  <inarticulate howling>  <Hangs up phone>

This isn't going to end well.  It's going to be nothing but tears and swearing and maybe me getting tossed off the North ridge.  On the plus side, I finally have a coworker as prone to hyperbole as I am.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

On the plus side, he tacitly admitted to knowing what the problem was from the outset.  Which means he's not completely an idiot.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 12, 2016, 07:14:21 PM
On the plus side, he tacitly admitted to knowing what the problem was from the outset.  Which means he's not completely an idiot.

I understand his thinking.  I, too, hate and fear the main bearing.  I do not want to face the upcoming job.

But wasting 3 weeks chasing 9,232 wires isn't going to help matters.  It is what it is.  I already proved it by "floating" the bearing (overgreasing it), and the problem went away for a few minutes.  There's a flat spot on one of the rollers inside of the bearing, and once a revolution, it makes the telescope drift about .1 degrees, which is far beyond acceptable for the instruments we're using (.1 degrees at 40,000 light years is ENORMOUS.)

But we shall do the job, even if it kills all of us.  The People's Glorious Heroic 5 Year Plan demands nothing less.

Junkenstein

Qg , that's awful but I'm glad she had a good run and lived. I know people over 70 that you couldn't say that about.

Roger, what is the acceptable margin of error with this kind of gear? I'd assume that even a 0.001 imbalance fucks things when you're dealing with these kind of distances/times
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 12, 2016, 08:05:06 PM
Qg , that's awful but I'm glad she had a good run and lived. I know people over 70 that you couldn't say that about.

Roger, what is the acceptable margin of error with this kind of gear? I'd assume that even a 0.001 imbalance fucks things when you're dealing with these kind of distances/times

It's a bearing, not a gear.  The ACCEPTABLE margin of error is 1/50,000th.

The theoretical best is actually about 1/15,000th

Junkenstein

And Cain, is extortion a possibility? It's always worth trying before flicking a match. In fact, it's particularly worth trying when you intend to flick a match anyway.

Hell, at this point I'd gladly donut for you for 5% of the take.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2016, 08:11:12 PM

Was using gear as general term for telescope setup, apologies. Not responsible if any actual gears break.

Second question, what extra things could raise that accuracy? Seems like a huge gap still to close

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 12, 2016, 08:15:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2016, 08:11:12 PM

Was using gear as general term for telescope setup, apologies. Not responsible if any actual gears break.

Second question, what extra things could raise that accuracy? Seems like a huge gap still to close

This telescope is not capable of doing everything they are asking for.  It's just that simple.  Only the HET telescope in Texas is stable enough to do the job, and it's booked for 11 years.  But if we can get rid of this HUGE fucking hiccup, they can do about 80% of what they want to do.

LMNO

I love that you're being asked to do this sort of stuff.  It really sounds like the kind of stuff you'd revel in.  Happy for you.