News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

well, weird physics made the Alcubierre drive look like a thing.

And now weirder physics seems to have killed it.

:argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 23, 2016, 04:12:55 AM
Even weirder physics could see it reborn as a gravity drive.

well, that's the fucking thing.  It looks like gravity is shared by all universes, which means the drive doesn't work, which means no space demons.

I could fucking cry.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Lame.  How will we be able to live out the future promised to us in WH40k without space demons?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 23, 2016, 04:22:55 AM
Lame.  How will we be able to live out the future promised to us in WH40k without space demons?

I'm really pissed about this.  I was so ready to share our, erm, culture with aliens.  In the face.

Bruno

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2016, 04:21:19 AM

well, that's the fucking thing.  It looks like gravity is shared by all universes, which means the drive doesn't work, which means no space demons.

I could fucking cry.

Tyson has mentioned something about the possibility of dark matter being an effect caused by gravity leaking through from other other universes, and what we see as dark matter is really just gravitational interaction between matter in our universe, and regular matter in other universes (or whatever passes for regular matter in those universes).

Does that have anything to do with what you meant by gravity being shared by all universes?
Formerly something else...

LMNO

I could fucking cry.

The universe is both incredibly weird and horribly mundane at the same time.  It's fantastically upsetting.

Faust

The event horizon is what happens when you give a team of scientists who have the ability to do something, half the budget time and safety precautions required to actualise it.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Emo Howard on September 23, 2016, 05:30:24 AM

I could fucking cry.

Tyson has mentioned something about the possibility of dark matter being an effect caused by gravity leaking through from other other universes, and what we see as dark matter is really just gravitational interaction between matter in our universe, and regular matter in other universes (or whatever passes for regular matter in those universes).

Does that have anything to do with what you meant by gravity being shared by all universes?

No, dark matter is even weirder.  A year ago, they thought it was done and dusted, via "dim galaxies", but it is a Damn Thing and is not so easily disposed of.  There is a project underway to spot dark matter interactions, using a gigantic tank of xenon in a cavern, much as they proved neutrinos in a big cave full of dry-cleaning solution.

What dark matter might be is junk from another universe being brought here via gravity.  I don't understand enough of the hypothesis involved to understand it, except that as long as the "transactions" are two-way, conservation is maintained.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 23, 2016, 01:27:03 PM

I could fucking cry.

The universe is both incredibly weird and horribly mundane at the same time.  It's fantastically upsetting.

I will see Uncle Albert cheated in my lifetime, if it kills me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on September 23, 2016, 01:56:46 PM

The event horizon is what happens when you give a team of scientists who have the ability to do something, half the budget time and safety precautions required to actualise it.

Gonna argue that Event Horizon is what happens when you give them stacks of cash and no oversight.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2016, 04:14:48 PM

Gonna argue that Event Horizon is what happens when you give them stacks of cash and no oversight.

I think removal of any kind of H+S oversight is the big one. Look at this fucking room.

It's just spikes and slip hazards everywhere. It's a tetanus trap at best and begging for a lawsuit before it even launched.

"Where's steve?"
"Dead. Slipped in the drive room"
"Fuck. Again?"
"Yeah. We sent in someone to clean it up, I'll check on them."
"Bet you they've fucking slipped too."
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

It's also what happens when you give artists final say over any design. Did I ever tell you about the guys at jaguar who wanted claw marks on the engine?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2016, 04:14:48 PM

Ok so both: Good project management is about finding that optimised balance where your product does open doors to, or take shortcuts through hell.

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 23, 2016, 04:34:55 PM
It's also what happens when you give artists final say over any design. Did I ever tell you about the guys at jaguar who wanted claw marks on the engine?

Whats an engine without a few stress fissures  :D, did they make it go faster?