News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Petty work shit is now affecting me, and perhaps I've just been exposed to too many TGRR Mind Lazors in my lifetime, but I have come to two conclusions in the past 24 hours:

1) They're all motherfuckers.
2) They're out to get me.

I was very ill from January until about this past August. During most of that time, my work performance got more shoddy than usual. I tried my level best to ensure that people knew exactly how much work they could get out of me, once I knew what the issue was. I believe that the time I spent being less useful annoyed enough people that the gears have now turned against me.

So now they have hired a fresh young recruit, probably two years younger than me, to replace me without actually replacing me. I was hired with the intention of being mostly a tech geek (GIS, specifically) with the option to do field grunt work when the schedule demanded it. This new guy is full-time GIS, and I have been "shifted" to do more field work. I can also tell that he knows he's here to replace me, and that he feels badly about it. He's not old, bitter, or treacherous enough yet to stick his thumb in my eye.

A majority of our clients are in the boroughs of NYC, and I live on the far eastern end of Long Island. For those unaware, Long Island is named such because it is very fucking long. Normally I would spend my time in the office on Long Island, which has not been a problem. A one-way trip into NYC for me is approximately 2 hours if I leave my house at about 4 AM. But I'm a good sport and willing to put in a little overtime. I get paid for drive time and reimbursed for mileage, after all, so it's not so bad as long as I can find time in the day to, yanno, sleep.

But now I've done all last week and been scheduled for all of this week to drive into Brooklyn for brain-draining oversight jobs. Instead of hiring a body from the city to do city jobs and keep me in my initial capacity, they've put me in a position where I am spending four hours a day on the road, minimum.

Considering the cost of paying me extra hours and mileage, I offered that they could buy me a cheap motel room close to the site. The response I got was a lot more, shall we say, crisp than I had anticipated. There was a lot more in that reply than just the reply. I have been scolded for my unsatisfactory performance.

It's time to put the spit-polish on that resume. Damn shame, really.

The Wizard Joseph

Yeah... I'm guessing you're on a contract, union or otherwise, and they can't outright fire you, thus they troll. That or the thought of possibly paying your unemployment is undesirable.

I saw similar happen on a smaller scale to one of the few folks that got my full respect at my previous employer. She'd sustained a minor injury to her leg and been forced to work her usual, extremely standing/walking intensive, cycle of duties. Damn she was stubborn and proud enough to just keep going too, and they outright exploited this because she was about the only reason shit got done sometimes. She had a certain natural influence to her in addition to her sheer work ethic. I admired her greatly. One day I almost violated protocol all over my immediate manager's office and person when I heard him speak of her with a sort of casual distain as for a cheap tool or... I hate to say it, like an ailing slave one doesn't much believe after her overexertion resulted in the need for the hospital to pick up the tab on a surgical reconstruction, which wasn't very effective overall anyway. After, no joke, like a year of steady and very painful degeneration of the injury, pre-and post-op, she finally resigned. She seemed very cool with leaving by that point, I assume that her personal life took a turn for the better in a way that made her "occupation" unnecessary.

I have certain quiet smile I use for venal fuckwits that think they've said something funny and expect their company to laugh, lest they begin to "wonder about you". It's genuine amusement, but they never do seem to look me in the eye for long. It's instinctual in most and those that DO are rarely the subject of this sort of GRIN method, it being for venal fuckwits exclusively. I REALLY wish I'd done some covert audio recording of some of my meetings, not that I need it. Got PLENTY to work with already, and all legit as my bosses were fully aware of the recordings.

Anyway, yeah. Dude they don't care about you. If they wanna be dicks, cash in as long as it's convenient for you to do so and find a fresh spot at a better place.

For my part after I clear a paycheck from a little side job, I'm going to find a representative... my main job is going to be working with such until I too feel that all of my business with them is satisfactorily resolved.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cainad (dec.)

Oh they could get rid of me if they really wanted to, I'm sure. But at this time I still have enough niche expertise that letting me go would be rather inconvenient for them. And I'm liked well enough on a personal level that being too cold-blooded would reflect badly on the person who pulled the trigger.

Still, I'll hit the "three years of experience" mark by the end of this winter. And that's if I don't fuck off before then.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 04, 2016, 01:00:43 AM
Oh they could get rid of me if they really wanted to, I'm sure. But at this time I still have enough niche expertise that letting me go would be rather inconvenient for them. And I'm liked well enough on a personal level that being too cold-blooded would reflect badly on the person who pulled the trigger.

Still, I'll hit the "three years of experience" mark by the end of this winter. And that's if I don't fuck off before then.

Yeah... just a shame that they couldn't just treat you like an asset in temporary distress instead of being dicks and trying to brush you off, nicely or not.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Day 3 of being alone in the house.

I have scurvy.  My extremities are frozen.  I am reduced to eating rats.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 04, 2016, 02:33:25 AM

That's an interesting way of spelling "lizards."

Trivial

I'm the only one in the office to my knowledge, and it suddenly smells like fart.

Office is haunted by flatulent ghosts apparently. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Wizard Joseph

I was thinking over some of the loose plot ideas I had for "The Assault On Christmas" that I'm not sure I can approach properly without collaboration. I could write a short list and PM it to you if you'd like. I can't help your situation, but I can maybe give you something to chew on.

Also   :lulz: :lulz:
I really like your "alternative" historical thread!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 04, 2016, 03:29:39 AM

I was thinking over some of the loose plot ideas I had for "The Assault On Christmas" that I'm not sure I can approach properly without collaboration. I could write a short list and PM it to you if you'd like. I can't help your situation, but I can maybe give you something to chew on.

which one?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 04, 2016, 03:16:28 AM

Arizona has both.  Gigantic poisonous lizards and rats the size of guinea pigs.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 04, 2016, 03:34:43 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 04, 2016, 03:29:39 AM

which one?

This one. I'm about three pages in. I sort of read piece-meal mostly as I get time to stare at my phone. I keep wanting to make screen-caps to share out.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=29146.0

edited because derp

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 04, 2016, 03:35:42 AM

Are you sure they aren't guinea pigs?

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 04, 2016, 12:51:26 PM

Yeah have you tasted them?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 04, 2016, 12:51:26 PM

I know a guinea pig when I bite one.