News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Pagan or Racist?

Started by LMNO, August 22, 2016, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So, the first temple to Odin since Christianity rolled in was consecrated in Denmark.
http://spangenhelm.com/valheim-hof-denmark-dedicated-odin-gods/

I have a couple of pagan friends who are really excited and want to go.  However, they're most likely completely oblivious to the whole White Power/Odinism connection.  I can't find out much else about the temple, so I don't want to bum them out just yet; however, if it is a WP front, I feel I should really let them know.

Anyone hear anything about this?

Suu

As far as I know, it's NOT a WP front, those groups seem to come mostly out of Germany rather than the actual Scandinavian countries. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be cautious though.

With that said, there is quite a large Asatru revival happening right now, along with an equally big Hellenismos revival in Greece. The Greek Nationalists have actually turned toward Orthodox Christianity rather than paganism, so at least for now, from what I've been able to pick up, they aren't into those pagan circles as much. The joke is really on the WP Odinists though, because last I checked, there was a whole myth involving Odin having dark skinned children (I need to check this). All the more reason why I believe fucking Nazis are illiterate shitbags.

Another issue is the WP turn toward Romanitas, which is pissing me the fuck off for reasons. The New Thing is that because the Romans were white (lolno) and conquered and enslaved, that they're the pivotal example of what white supremacy should be. This is wrong on over 9000 levels. Fucking Gibbonites, that book is outdated by 200 years, and people still fucking believe him when he said that Rome fell because of black people and women.  :evilmad:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

It appears to be a venture by a Jim Lyngvild, a fashion critic, writer of fantasy novels and social media narcissist in Denmark

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Lyngvild&prev=search

http://cphpost.dk/news/who-is/who-is-jim-lyngvild.html

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/169683/islamization-copenhagen-bruce-bawer (note: Bawer is one of the many sources cited by Breivik's manifesto, nevertheless there is an interesting anecdote further down)

It seems, on early inspection, that this isn't organised Odinist white power stuff...but Lyngvild isn't exactly a man of character or high moral standing either, and may be unwittingly enabling racism due to his status.

Junkenstein

It's probably worth quickly noting the links between odinism nonsense, black metal and terrible people. It's not a short list but the themes are consistent. I would assume that right wing overtones are going to be everywhere along with an unhealthy dose of nationalism.

No prizes for guessing attitudes towards black/gay/disabled/etc. Folk.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

If you're not happy with your local Gods, what makes anyone think they'd be happy with waffle's God?  So, what, hang a few thralls, eat frozen butter, and look like a Molly Hatchet album cover?  I fail to see the perceived benefit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Trivial

Could someone make the white power people stop ruining norse gods for everyone? 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on August 23, 2016, 12:53:50 AM

Idris Elba maybe?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 23, 2016, 01:57:09 AM

Idris Elba maybe?

James Bond is a norse god?

Actually, that makes a level of sense...the drinking, fighting and womanising are the last things a covert agent should be doing.  A viking covert agent, however...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2016, 02:22:12 AM

Idris Elba maybe?

Actually, that makes a level of sense...the drinking, fighting and womanising are the last things a covert agent should be doing.  A viking covert agent, however...

I quite like this angle.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've encountered a number of Odinists who are racist, and a number who are not. I like old, ancestrally-based religions, so I'm excited to see the temple and I think the idea is beautiful. Of course, I have ALL the ancestors, so I'm biased.

SUCK IT, SINGLE-RACE ANCESTOR WORSHIPERS!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I LOVE THREADS LIKE THIS YOU ARE ALL WONEROUSLY MARVALOUS (SP) AND NEVER CHANGE ANY OF YOU UNLESS YOU WANT TO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE RUDE OF ME AND I MAY BE HIGH.

Pergamos

All the Asatru I have met, some of whom were racist and some of whom were not, would be offended at being called Pagan.  They're Heathen or Asatru,  I don't think they want to share an umbrella term with the Wiccans.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Pergamos on August 23, 2016, 05:52:50 AM
All the Asatru I have met, some of whom were racist and some of whom were not, would be offended at being called Pagan.  They're Heathen or Asatru,  I don't think they want to share an umbrella term with the Wiccans.

Because why? Are we going to pretend that this is anything other than the same woo in a different suit?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Quote from: Pergamos on August 23, 2016, 05:52:50 AM

Good.  If we let Pagans start dictating terms, next they'll be demanding equal rights, or the vote.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2016, 02:22:12 AM

Idris Elba maybe?

"Bjornsson, jarn bjornsson"