News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Pagan or Racist?

Started by LMNO, August 22, 2016, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2016, 11:49:39 AM
Quote from: Pergamos on August 23, 2016, 05:52:50 AM
All the Asatru I have met, some of whom were racist and some of whom were not, would be offended at being called Pagan.  They're Heathen or Asatru,  I don't think they want to share an umbrella term with the Wiccans.

Good.  If we let Pagans start dictating terms, next they'll be demanding equal rights, or the vote.

Have you ever dealt with a pagan in a workplace? Terrible useless bastardy to a man in my experience.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Fortunately no.  However. my University did have a Pagan society, which I briefly trolled IRL, and of course there was our years long campaigns against Mysticwicks and The Celtic Connection.

Junkenstein

They tend to work in an escalating bullshit style. The star ring usually appears first. Then whining about being a persecuted minority when you tell them to drop the ring because it's a good way to lose a finger.

Incompetence and laziness are the general watchwords.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Suu

Evidently white supremacy has been grasping at straws a lot lately. As of last night, 3 of my medieval groups on Facebook were infiltrated with members of a group looking to "recruit" for a new "crusade" based on the "fact" that white Europeans had the power in the Middle Ages and we should bring that back. The posts were all deleted really fast before I got a chance for a screenshot, but this is becoming a frequent thing.

Like I said, these fucking idiots have never cracked a book in their lives. Ever. But in Trump's AmericaTM, they won't have to, because they have all the facts, and we can just change the books to fit our needs.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

All the Asatru I have met, some of whom were racist and some of whom were not, would be offended at being called Pagan.  They're Heathen or Asatru,  I don't think they want to share an umbrella term with the Wiccans.

I can't be expected to keep all that shit straight.

There's only one question:  Do they worship their Sky Daddy properly, or are they "working with him?"  Because if it's the latter, they go into the box with the Wiccans and the Eclectics. 

I didn't write the book, I just enforce it.

Also, I have some information at home as to the crazytown pseudo-Asutru racist geeks.  I'll post it this evening.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on August 22, 2016, 10:35:21 PM
It appears to be a venture by a Jim Lyngvild, a fashion critic, writer of fantasy novels and social media narcissist in Denmark

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Lyngvild&prev=search

http://cphpost.dk/news/who-is/who-is-jim-lyngvild.html

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/169683/islamization-copenhagen-bruce-bawer (note: Bawer is one of the many sources cited by Breivik's manifesto, nevertheless there is an interesting anecdote further down)

It seems, on early inspection, that this isn't organised Odinist white power stuff...but Lyngvild isn't exactly a man of character or high moral standing either, and may be unwittingly enabling racism due to his status.

Had a quick look at Lyngvild, seems to be an openly gay man. This would indicate him being towards the "less terrible" end of the scale because at least he's unlikely to hold crazy opinions about gay people. With any luck that applies to other concerns too but I wouldn't put money on it yet. Roger's probably found some horrible insane crap.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 23, 2016, 11:54:25 AM

Good.  If we let Pagans start dictating terms, next they'll be demanding equal rights, or the vote.

Have you ever dealt with a pagan in a workplace? Terrible useless bastardy to a man in my experience.

I know of one Wiccan who works like a mad bastard.  But she doesn't talk about her beliefs, and I found out entirely by accident.  Which leads me to suspect that there may be other Wiccans who aren't useless hippies.  This thought, of course, fills me with rage because it upsets the underpinnings of one of the very few things I thought I knew for sure.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 23, 2016, 06:57:54 PM
Roger's probably found some horrible insane crap.

It's kind of what I do.

Anyway, the group I am referring to was listed in Warren Ellis's Bad World, which led to an internet search, which in turn led to hilarity.

The gripe the people in question seem to have is that they feel persecuted as white males, despite having the best deal ever.  This in turn led them to believe that the good old days of axes and shield-biting would - if playacted in the modern world - reassert their no-chin, snaggle-toothed manhood.

Junkenstein

Behold, my face of total and utter surprise.

Suu

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 23, 2016, 11:54:25 AM

I only worked with one self-identifying Wiccan, and she was, and still is, one of the sweetest people I know. Never mentioned it unless someone brought it up.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

The group I was thinking of is called "Solarian Sodality".

Founded by some guy named Marcus Geist.

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 23, 2016, 06:57:54 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 22, 2016, 10:35:21 PM
It appears to be a venture by a Jim Lyngvild, a fashion critic, writer of fantasy novels and social media narcissist in Denmark

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Lyngvild&prev=search

http://cphpost.dk/news/who-is/who-is-jim-lyngvild.html

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/169683/islamization-copenhagen-bruce-bawer (note: Bawer is one of the many sources cited by Breivik's manifesto, nevertheless there is an interesting anecdote further down)

It seems, on early inspection, that this isn't organised Odinist white power stuff...but Lyngvild isn't exactly a man of character or high moral standing either, and may be unwittingly enabling racism due to his status.

Had a quick look at Lyngvild, seems to be an openly gay man. This would indicate him being towards the "less terrible" end of the scale because at least he's unlikely to hold crazy opinions about gay people. With any luck that applies to other concerns too but I wouldn't put money on it yet. Roger's probably found some horrible insane crap.

You would think so, but I would like to point to the recent career of one Milo Yiannopoulos, also openly gay, has often spoken of his love for "big black dick" and helped write a love letter to the alt-right for Breitbart.com.  He also assures people that being gay is a choice and that it's perfectly alright to refer to people as faggots.

Pergamos

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 23, 2016, 11:49:23 AM

Because why? Are we going to pretend that this is anything other than the same woo in a different suit?

Because not like Wiccans I think. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on August 24, 2016, 10:35:42 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on August 23, 2016, 11:49:23 AM

Because why? Are we going to pretend that this is anything other than the same woo in a different suit?

Because not like Wiccans I think.

Yeah?  Explain the functional difference.