News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Taking the Black Iron Prison way too literally

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, October 06, 2016, 03:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeonWytch

Quote from: Xaz on October 21, 2016, 10:51:58 AM
Reality doesn't have a switch - it is simultaneously lubed up super sex and elements colliding. It's the perceive who assigns meaning to those interactions.
I know, but how would the simulation engineers sift through the simulation and derive meaningful data from it if it's just simulating on the scale of quantum strings? Unless  of course there is some kind of omniscient intelligence that can perceive and understand what's going on... it'd have to be bitchy, and unhelpful... maybe this intelligence speaks to people in semi-coherent koans and cryptic imagery... maybe it has a s fixation on the number 5 and hot dogs and antiauthoritarianism and individualism and etc etc etc etc etc

In summary, checkmate atheists
A wise man once said "What was that? I couldn't hear you."

Cain

Quote from: NeonWytch on October 21, 2016, 03:50:06 AM
I wonder if there's something keeping track of statistics. If so, does it just like, use human ideas of "things" to calculate what the groups of particles are (Y'know, so if one of these simulation engineers wanted to watch some good old fashioned, rough and tumble slimy, lubed up super sex they could switch to it instead of any other situation where carbon, water, and various other elements are moving in and out of each other repeatedly), or does reality abstract everything on the large scale and only turn on the particle physics when someone's looking closely? Are sex and driving and writing and fighting all their own separate but seamlessly integrated sub-systems?  Are we actually just living in the final version of Dwarf Fortress?

I think Bethesda designed the universe.

It would explain a lot about the general lack of playtesting and overall bugginess and stability issues.  Like black holes everywhere and dark matter.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2016, 03:46:30 AM
I wonder if there's something keeping track of statistics. If so, does it just like, use human ideas of "things" to calculate what the groups of particles are (Y'know, so if one of these simulation engineers wanted to watch some good old fashioned, rough and tumble slimy, lubed up super sex they could switch to it instead of any other situation where carbon, water, and various other elements are moving in and out of each other repeatedly), or does reality abstract everything on the large scale and only turn on the particle physics when someone's looking closely? Are sex and driving and writing and fighting all their own separate but seamlessly integrated sub-systems?  Are we actually just living in the final version of Dwarf Fortress?

It would explain a lot about the general lack of playtesting and overall bugginess and stability issues.  Like black holes everywhere and dark matter.

:lulz: :lulz: Those aren't bugs. Those are features!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: NeonWytch on October 22, 2016, 03:46:22 AM
Quote from: Xaz on October 21, 2016, 10:51:58 AM
Reality doesn't have a switch - it is simultaneously lubed up super sex and elements colliding. It's the perceive who assigns meaning to those interactions.
I know, but how would the simulation engineers sift through the simulation and derive meaningful data from it if it's just simulating on the scale of quantum strings? Unless  of course there is some kind of omniscient intelligence that can perceive and understand what's going on... it'd have to be bitchy, and unhelpful... maybe this intelligence speaks to people in semi-coherent koans and cryptic imagery... maybe it has a s fixation on the number 5 and hot dogs and antiauthoritarianism and individualism and etc etc etc etc etc

In summary, checkmate atheists

Have you ever watched larger scale simulations of things like galaxies crashing together or boats capsizing or weather patterns? I imagine it being something like that, our whole lives being incidental parts of the math necessary to display whatever it is someone's actually interested in on a screen we could no more perceive than a character from the Sims could.

NeonWytch

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 22, 2016, 03:53:16 AM
Have you ever watched larger scale simulations of things like galaxies crashing together or boats apsizing or weather patterns? I imagine it being something like that, our whole lives being incidental parts of the math necessary to display whatever it is someone's actually interested in on a screen we could no more perceive than a character from the Sims could.
If that's the case, the chance that we could ever get the attention of these engineers is infinitismally small, unless we start doing shit on the scale of like... galactic filaments.

Not that I have anything against filament-level gigaprojects
Gotta secure the local supercluster against those illegal aliens somehow.
A wise man once said "What was that? I couldn't hear you."

Telarus

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2016, 03:46:30 AM

:horrormirth: :lulz: :horrormirth: :lulz:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

styx

"In a paper published in 2003, Nick Bostrom argued that at least one of several propositions is likely to be true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a "posthuman" stage, i.e., (fp≈0); (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof), i.e., (fI≈0); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation, i.e., (fsim≈1)."

In the 40's, Konrad Zuse already speculated that our universe is computable by a deterministic computer program. The probability of this hypothesis is greater than zero but less than 1.

Must have one or more important key point to dismantle or rise the entire idea about simulation hypothesis or it's another bored fucking wealth trying to create more chaos just for fun.

What is the point for the whole Whac-A-Mole?
Regards,
The Ferryman

Whenever you are crossing through Chapel Perilous, Black Iron Prison, Bardos or Styx River you have to pay the price in order to get to the other side, failing will put yourself in a very perilous situation. Remaining in the limbo or postpone your decision is not the wisest thing to do, be absolutely sure to carry the right tools, because once inside there is only one way out. You will never be the same again.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: styx on April 27, 2019, 12:20:47 PM
"In a paper published in 2003, Nick Bostrom argued that at least one of several propositions is likely to be true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a "posthuman" stage, i.e., (fp≈0); (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof), i.e., (fI≈0); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation, i.e., (fsim≈1)."

2 seems to me to be the most likely
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Doktor Howl

To the OP, what if you DID break out of the simulation?  What's out there?  You really want to know?
Molon Lube