"Intermittens: In the Beginning" is now available

Started by Johnny Shellburn, October 10, 2016, 08:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 12, 2016, 06:32:23 PM
Quote from: trix on October 12, 2016, 06:10:28 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 12, 2016, 04:21:22 PM
Quote from: trix on October 11, 2016, 10:36:57 PM
I still haven't seen why you guys call LS a pedo but he's definitely enough of a tool to avoid his BS.

It was due to a few essays on his old site.

I tried to find those but that website is very off-putting.  I choose instead to take your word for it.

I'm also curious, the pdf in the OP used the term "Stfupid Cabal" in what I think was a reference to PD.  I know Hate Rant Discordians is from Uncyclopedia, but what is "Stfupid Cabal" from?  Was that made up specifically for this issue of Intermittens?

I suspect this is the relevant link hxxp://www.uncle BadTouch.org/5bb/belief1.html

And if it's not what they're referencing, I don't want to see the worse thing.

If that's the source of the pedo comments, I am more confused than ever.

That article seems to be mostly about maturity vs age.  It even makes a couple of decent points, though the writer seems to have not thought some of the other points through well enough.  The only reference to sex I can find in there is the part about age of consent in CA differing significantly between males and females.

There is a cumulative vibe when combining that articles and other LS materials i've seen elsewhere that is definitely uncomfortably skeevy, but I see nothing in that article that warrants accusations of pedophilia.

I have however seen other articles of his that toy with the concept of getting young girls pregnant in a way that comes off... uncomfortably.  I don't really have the word ("ick", maybe) and while it's enough that I wouldn't want the guy teaching at a highschool or something, the amount of direct pedo accusations seemed to suggest something much more concrete than anything I've read on the guy so far.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: trix on October 12, 2016, 07:01:46 PM
If that's the source of the pedo comments, I am more confused than ever.

That article seems to be mostly about maturity vs age.  It even makes a couple of decent points, though the writer seems to have not thought some of the other points through well enough.  The only reference to sex I can find in there is the part about age of consent in CA differing significantly between males and females.

There is a cumulative vibe when combining that articles and other LS materials i've seen elsewhere that is definitely uncomfortably skeevy, but I see nothing in that article that warrants accusations of pedophilia.

I have however seen other articles of his that toy with the concept of getting young girls pregnant in a way that comes off... uncomfortably.  I don't really have the word ("ick", maybe) and while it's enough that I wouldn't want the guy teaching at a highschool or something, the amount of direct pedo accusations seemed to suggest something much more concrete than anything I've read on the guy so far.

QuoteThe assumption that an 18-year-old is automatically more mature than a 16-year-old is
very common and, in many places, legally defined. The 21-year-old may be automatically
defined as more mature than the 17-year-old. And yet, many of us know a teen-ager who
behaves more maturely and shows more responsibility than someone else we know who
is much older. But the law ignores this. Unless that young person commits a heinous
crime--then in many cases e can be considered and tried as an adult. But act maturely
and responsibly, and you're a child.

Can someone have been completely incapable of adult responsibilities yesterday, but then
be completely capable today because of a birth anniversary?

While none of that outright states I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO FUCK 15 YEAR OLDS it's sure as hell the exact arguments people who fuck 15 year olds use to defend their actions.

trix

Oh I absolutely agree.  However, the argument is sound on its own merit, just ignores that reality is not that simple and the problem is not so straightforward.

While the cumulative effect of what you quoted along with other things put on the internet by Uncle BadTouch does very much lend a strong pedo vibe to my perceptions of the person, there's still a fallacy here.

It's true that some folks use arguments much like what you quoted to excuse some fucked up shit.  That doesn't make anyone who makes that argument automatically involved with said fucked up shit.

It's like how lots and lots of people use the "self defense" defense falsely to try and avoid a murder conviction.  It happens, some get away with it some do not, but no matter how many people falsely claim self defense, that does not mean that anyone who claims self defense is just trying to escape a murder conviction.

I've made a similar point to the text you quoted in real life, to justify allowing my sister to have her 17th bday party at my house with alcohol (with many safety rules in place and myself in sober attendance) even though the legal age for alcohol is 21.

I don't like being in the position of defending this person who does in fact seem creepy in the way he's been accused, but I also don't like the idea of labeling someone 'pedo' based on what appears to be a creepy vibe and heavy speculation.

Either way Uncle BadTouch has definitely done some stupid, pretentious, thieving bullshit so fuck him anyway.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

The Wizard Joseph

Shit I just got this one fresh today. Is this taking things too far? I can never really tell.

All I gotta say is
Down with disco
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Have you guys been by his "Discordia for Kids" section yet?

Or know what age "Miley Cyrus" was when she moved into the warehouse off of I-35 that they use as a commune?

In any case, I'm outta this conversation.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 12, 2016, 08:01:21 PM
Have you guys been by his "Discordia for Kids" section yet?

Or know what age "Miley Cyrus" was when she moved into the warehouse off of I-35 that they use as a commune?

In any case, I'm outta this conversation.

No, and I feel like going there will get me on one of those lists I really don't want to be on.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have personally had conversations with Nightshade in which he ardently defended the position that it is not wrong for adults in their 30's to have sex with teenagers under 16.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

He always worded it as a hypothetical and claimed that he himself does not want to have sex with underage teens.

However, legal disclaimers aside, I find it very strange for an adult who is not a developmental researcher to be as preoccupied as he was/is with the sexual expression of children. He may not be a child molester or a statutory rapist, but I wouldn't be comfortable allowing  him around my kids.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

trix

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 12, 2016, 09:56:50 PM
I have personally had conversations with Nightshade in which he ardently defended the position that it is not wrong for adults in their 30's to have sex with teenagers under 16.

Ah, in that case yeah, that pushes the creep-o-meter well past scary.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 12, 2016, 10:01:11 PM
He always worded it as a hypothetical and claimed that he himself does not want to have sex with underage teens.

However, legal disclaimers aside, I find it very strange for an adult who is not a developmental researcher to be as preoccupied as he was/is with the sexual expression of children. He may not be a child molester or a statutory rapist, but I wouldn't be comfortable allowing  him around my kids.

Absofuckinglutely.   :vom:

I now understand the allegations and like TGRR...

:enough:

I'm out.
Zen Without Zen Masters

The Wizard Joseph

Same. Said my bits. At this point I have nothing further to add.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Not for nothing, didn't Steve Jackson already add a copyright to his edition of the PD?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO on October 18, 2016, 07:42:55 PM
Not for nothing, didn't Steve Jackson already add a copyright to his edition of the PD?

They can only copyright the new material.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 18, 2016, 08:06:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 18, 2016, 07:42:55 PM

They can only copyright the new material.

Funny you guys should mention SJ. I have a partially birthed card game in my head and written out in very rough notation. It's explicitly Discordian and the thought of approaching SJ Games has been pushed into my head despite my best attempts to ignore it, and I'm REALLY good at ignoring things I don't think are relevant, but now I'm thinking it's relevant AF!

If I can get this out of my head (thanks!) and out to be a real thing I'm very comfortable with coming to some arrangements to get it "protected" but able to spread and get all Kopyleft. That is to say I care not for my "property rights" on this and would do it just to vastly outperform the disco shits and in so doing also make a better mark on the culture for Discordia. I hope They're writing that down somewhere. I'll post what I have so far elsewhere.

Whether folks get on the wagon or not (PLEASE DO IF YOU SEE FIT!) know that it's for PD, from which I pretty much draw all my experience for envisioning gameplay and mechanics, that I do this. If there's a value in it for SJ to possibly monetize that goes to PD too. Maybe NPR too IDK, but I'm dreaming guys.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Pitch it to The Oatmeal, instead.  Their "Exploding Kittens" project turned out pretty well for themselves.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on October 19, 2016, 02:59:10 PM
Pitch it to The Oatmeal, instead.  Their "Exploding Kittens" project turned out pretty well for themselves.

The what now? I'll look into it for myself some, of course, but I don't know what you mean or why that may be preferable.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl