News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

"Intermittens: In the Beginning" is now available

Started by Johnny Shellburn, October 10, 2016, 08:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Oatmeal is a comic.  They did a card game that was Kickstarted and completely obliterated their goal very quickly.

May be preferable, as they probably will be more willing to help than to co-opt and steal the idea, as Jackson might.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_Kittens

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on October 19, 2016, 08:06:01 PM
Oatmeal is a comic.  They did a card game that was Kickstarted and completely obliterated their goal very quickly.

May be preferable, as they probably will be more willing to help than to co-opt and steal the idea, as Jackson might.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_Kittens

I looked it up. It's a pretty neat cardgame and the kickstarter/"indie" startup method certainly can work. I'd need to develop more understanding of that part of such a thing, but that process would be very rewarding.

Is there some previous beef with SJ that I'm unaware of? I don't understand what gives you the impression that he'd attempt to rob me of the idea if presented in good faith.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Freeky

Steve Jackson, of Steve Jackson Games.  Made all the Munchkin card games (read:  fuckin' BANK).  Also kind of a douchebag, I've heard.  There is evidence I've seen supporting this - a package of invisible dice or maybe an invisible mini? that included a munchkin card that costed like 6 dollars.  Also the card wasn't usable once you opened the packaging. 

ETA: What the fuck is it with Steve Jacksons?  Just read a wikipedia article about this one, who is American, and apparently there's a UK one who started Games Workshop. 

Fuck GW. In the ear.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Freeky on October 23, 2016, 04:06:34 AM
Steve Jackson, of Steve Jackson Games.  Made all the Munchkin card games (read:  fuckin' BANK).  Also kind of a douchebag, I've heard.  There is evidence I've seen supporting this - a package of invisible dice or maybe an invisible mini? that included a munchkin card that costed like 6 dollars.  Also the card wasn't usable once you opened the packaging. 

ETA: What the fuck is it with Steve Jacksons?  Just read a wikipedia article about this one, who is American, and apparently there's a UK one who started Games Workshop. 

Fuck GW. In the ear.

What did GW do? Other than atrocities of retail markup for, like, everything?

For myself I don't know anything much about the American SJ other than that his games company kinda saved my childhood and that they now have a fine ability to monetize cultural satire, which the game I envision is almost purely composed of. I'll admit that I wouldn't mind having the opportunity to thank him personally for his influence on my life, this from LONG before I even knew what the fuck fnord meant.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Freeky

Games Workshop thinks it's totally fine to let your game be completely unbalanced.  They said as much, almost in as many words.  It was mostly done as a "Fuck you, America" stunt, because the tourney scene is a lot bigger here than anywhere else, but a lot of people aren't complaining about it, and some people are just happy to take advantage of the power differences between armies.  Their Warhammer Fantasy reboot? No points. At all. Just throw models on the table, it'll be great!  If a person cheats, just don't play with them!  THESE ARE ACTUAL THINGS PRINTED IN THE ACTUAL RULES.  WHAT THE FUCK.

Not to mention all the fuckery they pull with brick and mortar stores, and their products going out of stock and out of print within a year and players have to special order it (or find it on Ebay for an arm and a leg, which incidentally can get a brick and mortar store blacklisted from being a GW seller, selling GW products online).  And they're about as sue-happy as Trump is.

ETA: I don't know much about SJG, either, only a hazy sort of wariness when it comes to IP.  I've asked my friend for the deets, him being in those kinds of loops to hear the gossip. 

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Freeky on October 23, 2016, 06:55:12 AM
Games Workshop thinks it's totally fine to let your game be completely unbalanced.  They said as much, almost in as many words.  It was mostly done as a "Fuck you, America" stunt, because the tourney scene is a lot bigger here than anywhere else, but a lot of people aren't complaining about it, and some people are just happy to take advantage of the power differences between armies.  Their Warhammer Fantasy reboot? No points. At all. Just throw models on the table, it'll be great!  If a person cheats, just don't play with them!  THESE ARE ACTUAL THINGS PRINTED IN THE ACTUAL RULES.  WHAT THE FUCK.

Not to mention all the fuckery they pull with brick and mortar stores, and their products going out of stock and out of print within a year and players have to special order it (or find it on Ebay for an arm and a leg, which incidentally can get a brick and mortar store blacklisted from being a GW seller, selling GW products online).  And they're about as sue-happy as Trump is.

ETA: I don't know much about SJG, either, only a hazy sort of wariness when it comes to IP.  I've asked my friend for the deets, him being in those kinds of loops to hear the gossip.

Sometimes I admire the ruthlessness of the Warhammer scam, but that sounds like they're just not trying to improve the game at all and have committed to fuckery in lieu of creativity. That's going to cost them in the end. I am pretty sure most of the 40k gamers of my acquaintance have given up on the new edition and only the fuckers in because they have buckets of disposable cash and a Space Marine fetish are still actually playing.

SJ Games is a totally different creature. They're still supporting some of their oldest titles. My only complaint was when I picked up a 5th ed "GURPS lite" pdf and realized that the bellcurve on attribute costs had been done away with for flat point cost per and the merti-flaw system had been fuckled. It removed what i considered elegance in the system's fairness and flexibility, but made the math easier and prevented certain forms of stat minmaxing so it's no big.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Goddess Eris

As a noob to Discordianism, falling straight down the Uncle BadTouch wormhole was a... way to spend several hours of my life that I will never get back, I guess. On the other hand, I didn't know that Minnie Rae was a real person and now the copy of Lost Girls that I found last year on the street is about to get read finally.

Oh and coming from a retired teenage prostitute, that LS dude is definitely a pedo.

Who made Cards Against Humanity? eh

Goddess Eris

L O R I E N L O V E S H A D E I S T H E Z O D I A C K I L L E R

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Goddess Eris on November 06, 2016, 11:59:41 AM
As a noob to Discordianism, falling straight down the Uncle BadTouch wormhole was a... way to spend several hours of my life that I will never get back, I guess. On the other hand, I didn't know that Minnie Rae was a real person and now the copy of Lost Girls that I found last year on the street is about to get read finally.

Oh and coming from a retired teenage prostitute, that LS dude is definitely a pedo.

CAH is self-published, isn't it? I don't remember who made it, but I do remember that they were kind enough to pop in here and plug it to us.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Goddess Eris

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 06, 2016, 02:58:05 PM

CAH is self-published, isn't it? I don't remember who made it, but I do remember that they were kind enough to pop in here and plug it to us.
I think it is but they may be able to advise on self-publishing too... also dang, I didn't know that so what I said x2

Whoever makes GURPS is good too, it's the one tabletop where I don't just drink and loudly demand nerdier types to do all the math for determining if my Lucille Bluth can seduce her way out of a sticky Golem situ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Goddess Eris on November 06, 2016, 03:40:58 PM

I think it is but they may be able to advise on self-publishing too... also dang, I didn't know that so what I said x2

Whoever makes GURPS is good too, it's the one tabletop where I don't just drink and loudly demand nerdier types to do all the math for determining if my Lucille Bluth can seduce her way out of a sticky Golem situ

Now I want you in our gaming group.

Freeky

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 23, 2016, 05:06:11 PM
Quote from: Freeky on October 23, 2016, 06:55:12 AM

Sometimes I admire the ruthlessness of the Warhammer scam, but that sounds like they're just not trying to improve the game at all and have committed to fuckery in lieu of creativity. That's going to cost them in the end. I am pretty sure most of the 40k gamers of my acquaintance have given up on the new edition and only the fuckers in because they have buckets of disposable cash and a Space Marine fetish are still actually playing.

SJ Games is a totally different creature. They're still supporting some of their oldest titles. My only complaint was when I picked up a 5th ed "GURPS lite" pdf and realized that the bellcurve on attribute costs had been done away with for flat point cost per and the merti-flaw system had been fuckled. It removed what i considered elegance in the system's fairness and flexibility, but made the math easier and prevented certain forms of stat minmaxing so it's no big.

It's apparently not a thing that only SJG does, it's everywhere I guess. 

hooplala

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 06, 2016, 03:43:10 PM
Quote from: Goddess Eris on November 06, 2016, 03:40:58 PM

Now I want you in our gaming group.

Ditto.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman