News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

63% electro-catalytic yield of Ethanol from CO2/H2O solution!!

Started by The Wizard Joseph, October 19, 2016, 11:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

https://www.ornl.gov/news/nano-spike-catalysts-convert-carbon-dioxide-directly-ethanol

Your car will one day produce your drink from the exhaust and drive FOR you just about anywhere you please. WOW! Maybe this could even make "carbon capture" technology not just a viable expense, but a means to retain a valuable by-product. This is a Game Changer.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 19, 2016, 11:55:06 PM
https://www.ornl.gov/news/nano-spike-catalysts-convert-carbon-dioxide-directly-ethanol

Your car will one day produce your drink from the exhaust and drive FOR you just about anywhere you please. WOW! Maybe this could even make "carbon capture" technology not just a viable expense, but a means to retain a valuable by-product. This is a Game Changer.

Don't get too excited just yet.  For every actual game-changer, there's an Alcubierre Drive.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2016, 01:27:18 AM

Don't get too excited just yet.  For every actual game-changer, there's an Alcubierre Drive.

Is that in Tucson?  :?

I get giddy man. The tech must flow. Why they be stopping the flow Roger?

I'm getting all upset!  :argh!: We have the TECH!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 20, 2016, 04:49:47 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2016, 01:27:18 AM

Is that in Tucson?  :?

I get giddy man. The tech must flow. Why they be stopping the flow Roger?

I'm getting all upset!  :argh!: We have the TECH!

we used it to make smart watches.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Market forces are the worst forces. Most things just perturb mass and energy, but the marketers and financiers manipulate the possible configurations. That is to say human passions, the very least scientific of the things on the planet. It's a superstition engine, no better than an "alchemy" scam in any way but sophistication, upon which the rest of the science was widely founded.

That was all well and good at first, I think. Everyone else doing Science was still mired in various superstition for a long, long time. As those stripped away, and as The Enlightenment got under way in earnest we discovered nothing but HORRORS under the superstition that had been so well accepted. Shit got hard to sell to "the masses" as a good thing, True or not, and the Opposition happy to capitalize, as ever they have. It seems to me somewhere along the line Science conceded to a very reasonable, but still ultimately irrational, sort of "pragmatism" about dissemination of the truth. Certain myths became acceptable, and today that's most evident in the way we economy because those myths have barely changed while most other fields have had to take their medicine, and like it!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't think this has implications for powering vehicles; it's more about storing excess electrical energy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 22, 2016, 05:17:56 PM

I don't think this has implications for powering vehicles; it's more about storing excess electrical energy.

Yeah. I was just musing about the potential to turn the CO2 from exhaust into ethanol. Even with such a function, there's not much market for booze that tastes like copper, iron, and a nastier version of everclear.

Still the yield could be a remarkable fuel source many... less fanciful applications. I liked the idea of using photoelectric stations in a manner not unlike plant photosynthesis!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 21, 2016, 04:38:34 AM
Market forces are the worst forces. Most things just perturb mass and energy, but the marketers and financiers manipulate the possible configurations. That is to say human passions, the very least scientific of the things on the planet. It's a superstition engine, no better than an "alchemy" scam in any way but sophistication, upon which the rest of the science was widely founded.

That was all well and good at first, I think. Everyone else doing Science was still mired in various superstition for a long, long time. As those stripped away, and as The Enlightenment got under way in earnest we discovered nothing but HORRORS under the superstition that had been so well accepted. Shit got hard to sell to "the masses" as a good thing, True or not, and the Opposition happy to capitalize, as ever they have. It seems to me somewhere along the line Science conceded to a very reasonable, but still ultimately irrational, sort of "pragmatism" about dissemination of the truth. Certain myths became acceptable, and today that's most evident in the way we economy because those myths have barely changed while most other fields have had to take their medicine, and like it!
:lulz:
Superstitious is to deny superstition.