News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

November 2016: Hail Discordia

Started by Cainad (dec.), November 09, 2016, 11:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 09, 2016, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 09, 2016, 05:50:37 PM
Regardless, to hell with these people saying they're bailing.

There's WORK to do.

Out of curiosity, where's the line? At some point the only sane option is to recognize things are Fucked beyond control or repair.

2020 just became a guaranteed shitshow and I doubt 2024 will be any saner. 4-6/10 dems/republicans apparently believe the other side will literally destroy the country (depending on which poll you believe) and the current system now has an overwhelming interest to make it even more solidly divided.

The more I think about it the real winner is the 2 party system and the possibility easily exists to make this a 1 party system with some boundary changes and legislation that would fly through if presented.

For me, that line has already been crossed. We elected this probable psychopath. I already loathed the majority of people in this country, now proof.

I would be happy to leave right now if I had a place for the whole family to go, or if I could afford it. I would have left a long time ago, really. But where, exactly will be safe? For how long? What about the people who CAN'T go AND will suffer more than I will? I think leaving the country if you are Muslim is probably a good idea, get out now before they send you to the camps. If you're a white male like me, stay and help. Lone dissent and all that. How many lives were saved by the French Resistance? It doesn't really matter, they did the right thing.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 07:29:34 PM
Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on November 11, 2016, 07:27:22 PM
I don't know how someone can fail to grasp the principle of bodily autonomy so completely. Must require a pretty thick layer of misogyny smeared over one's reality filter.

Well, to apply the concept of bodily autonomy to women, you first have to think of them as real people.

Right, right. I mean, they don't even have penises, so how could they be people? It just doesn't make any damn sense.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on November 11, 2016, 11:22:27 PM
I don't know how someone can fail to grasp the principle of bodily autonomy so completely. Must require a pretty thick layer of misogyny smeared over one's reality filter.

Well, to apply the concept of bodily autonomy to women, you first have to think of them as real people.

Right, right. I mean, they don't even have penises, so how could they be people? It just doesn't make any damn sense.

That's a strawman argument and you know it.

If the fetus was somehow implanted into a man through some kind of futuristic science my opinion would remain the same
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Salty

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 11, 2016, 11:27:19 PM

If the fetus was somehow implanted into a man through some kind of futuristic science my opinion would remain the same

And, somehow, against all the odds, still completely stupid.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

This isn't a proper argument. You're just automatically naysaying anything the other side says.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 11, 2016, 11:30:02 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 11, 2016, 11:27:19 PM

And, somehow, against all the odds, still completely stupid.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Here are some  thoughts, which I have scavenged from a conversation on ECH's FB wall:

We can't fix this. It's going to set the whole country back. But reality is, things are going to suck, and gradually, with every national election, the results will lean more to the left. Consider that this election was very close, with a relatively high voter turnout, and Clinton won the popular vote. Trump really just barely got into office. A mere 5% shift in voter demographics will tip the balance. The other thing we need to try to address is voter suppression, which is a huge problem that keeps poor people, particularly poor black and hispanic people, from voting at all.

In terms of voter participation, it's generally double in people 30-44 what it is in people 18-29. That means that in just eight years, the heavily left-leaning but low-turnout current 20-somethings will be in their 30's and voting at twice the rate they did this election. Meanwhile, the currently-more-conservative 60+ demographic will be losing people from its more-conservative older end, and gaining people in its more-liberal younger end. The very youngest Baby Boomers will be hitting 60, and there will still be a lot of them, but they'll be starting to die off at a rapid rate. The largest upcoming political bloc will be genX. Millennials will be supplanting genX in entry-level local and state political positions, as genX politicians mature and move up into national positions. The next 8 years are going to be tough and are going to set us back badly, but the bottom line is that generation X is more liberal, and less racist and sexist than Boomers are, and Millennials are more progressive and less racist and sexist than genX, plus there are way more of them. Because of the basic nature of an age distribution curve, as Millennials start coming into their 30's they are going to have a dominating influence on our political landscape.

What I'm saying, basically, is that Tumblr is going to end up saving us all. :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 11, 2016, 11:32:40 PM
This isn't a proper argument. You're just automatically naysaying anything the other side says.

You're half right. It's not a proper argument.
But it's not about the other side, it's about YOUR dumb ass.

You are stupid, you derail conversations with your stupid, and there's no end to it. So here I will be, making sure to remind you.

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 11:39:15 PM
What I'm saying, basically, is that Tumblr is going to end up saving us all. :lulz:

As someone who only subscribes to Youtuber-centric, cat-centric, or that one lady with the post about recipes tumblr blogs, I find this incredibly pleasing. 

So, in terms of real life time, there'll be a significant uptick in life quality as we know it in about 20 years?  That's not.... well, it's bad, but at least it'll be in my lifetime.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 11, 2016, 11:32:40 PM

No, I'm naysaying what YOU are saying, because everything you are saying on this subject is wrong.

By sheer coincedence, you are also wrong about basically everything I've ever seen you post. If you said something correct I would be able to stop naysaying you. Like your point about this not being a proper argument: that much is true.

Cainad (dec.)

By way of illustration:

No person can be legally required to donate blood or part of their body. Even in the most ludicrous example you could think of: a drunk driver mortally injures someone and could save their life by donating blood. Even though the situation is their fault, isn't legally compelled to give blood. Those are extreme examples, and hundreds more that are far less intense exist. In none of them is a person required to surrender their bodily autonomy.

A fetus has no right to require the use of a woman's body for nine months of she doesn't want to. Even if she fucks 80 men a day without protection, who gets to use her uterus to gestate in is exclusively her decision.

Freeky

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on November 12, 2016, 12:09:01 AM
By way of illustration:

No person can be legally required to donate blood or part of their body. Even in the most ludicrous example you could think of: a drunk driver mortally injures someone and could save their life by donating blood. Even though the situation is their fault, isn't legally compelled to give blood. Those are extreme examples, and hundreds more that are far less intense exist. In none of them is a person required to surrender their bodily autonomy.

A fetus has no right to require the use of a woman's body for nine months of she doesn't want to. Even if she fucks 80 men a day without protection, who gets to use her uterus to gestate in is exclusively her decision.

I quite like that. 

Also, point of note, The fetus is being built with materials taken from the woman's body, not just food.  My teeth were never great, but during my pregnancy they became ruined for good, because I wasn't taking calcium supplements.  So that whole "not part of their body" argument is stupid bullshit, because I MADE A HUMAN WITH MY OWN UTERUS AND BLOOD AND BONES.

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on November 12, 2016, 12:09:01 AM
By way of illustration:

LOL So you would allow third trimester abortions on the grounds that "the fetus has no right to the womans body." Hello Ayn Rand!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 11:45:52 PM

As someone who only subscribes to Youtuber-centric, cat-centric, or that one lady with the post about recipes tumblr blogs, I find this incredibly pleasing. 

So, in terms of real life time, there'll be a significant uptick in life quality as we know it in about 20 years?  That's not.... well, it's bad, but at least it'll be in my lifetime.

It is actually pleasing. We just have to hope that the environmental damage isn't too great by then to recover from, which is pretty questionable.

You probably remember that I used to despise Tumblr. Well, I was wrong. I have completely changed my mind about it. Tumblr can be a little over-the-top at times, but it is essentially a proving ground for social ideas. Young people practice how they want to be. Sometimes they in this practice they go through an embarrassing stage of being goths or Faerie Wiccans or anarchists or even the absolute mind-bogglingly moronic nonsense of being a punk-rock Libertarian communist. On Tumblr, that practice often takes the form of being an over-the-top "social justice warrior"... but at the end of the day, it seems that being a social justice warrior in a community of social justice warriors might be exactly what we need to be. Absolutism and idealism seem to be a necessary aspect of growing up, but they are typically moderated with age, so these little idealists, driven by the intensity of the powerful emotions of youth, will mature into adults with a strong moral compass and enough understanding of the grey areas of the world to use it to make it a better place for everyone.

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2016, 12:36:04 AM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 11:45:52 PM

It is actually pleasing. We just have to hope that the environmental damage isn't too great by then to recover from, which is pretty questionable.

You probably remember that I used to despise Tumblr. Well, I was wrong. I have completely changed my mind about it. Tumblr can be a little over-the-top at times, but it is essentially a proving ground for social ideas. Young people practice how they want to be. Sometimes they in this practice they go through an embarrassing stage of being goths or Faerie Wiccans or anarchists or even the absolute mind-bogglingly moronic nonsense of being a punk-rock Libertarian communist. On Tumblr, that practice often takes the form of being an over-the-top "social justice warrior"... but at the end of the day, it seems that being a social justice warrior in a community of social justice warriors might be exactly what we need to be. Absolutism and idealism seem to be a necessary aspect of growing up, but they are typically moderated with age, so these little idealists, driven by the intensity of the powerful emotions of youth, will mature into adults with a strong moral compass and enough understanding of the grey areas of the world to use it to make it a better place for everyone.

That's a lot more uplifting than anything else I've seen recently.  Awesome.