News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

How Trump Happened Part 1 of Whatever

Started by xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed), November 09, 2016, 08:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There are (were) two choices: Take the slow soft population fall by taking measures to reduce consumption, emissions, and population growth, or take the fast hard population fall by hitting our limit and crashing. This is how it works for every other species population on earth, yet we insist on pretending that it can't possibly be true for us.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I keep looking for a place to click to "like" Faust's posts. Damn Facebook.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 16, 2016, 05:47:01 AM
I thought this essay was really insightful, and accurately explains why I don't feel any need to let these people into my living room.

http://forsetti.tumblr.com/post/153181757500/on-rural-america-understanding-isnt-the-problem

QuoteIn deep red, white America, the white Christian God is king, figuratively and literally.  Religious fundamentalism is what has shaped most of their belief systems.  Systems built on a fundamentalist framework are not conducive for introspection, questioning, learning, change.  When you have a belief system that is built on fundamentalism, it isn't open to outside criticism, especially by anyone not a member of your tribe and in a position of power.  The problem isn't "coastal elites don't understand rural Americans."  The problem is rural America doesn't understand itself and will NEVER listen to anyone outside their bubble.  It doesn't matter how "understanding" you are, how well you listen, what language you use...if you are viewed as an outsider, your views are automatically discounted.  I've had hundreds of discussions with rural white Americans and whenever I present them any information that contradicts their entrenched beliefs, no matter how sound, how unquestionable, how obvious, they WILL NOT even entertain the possibility it might be true.

That's true of most people to varying extents, only the specific false idol changes - it's not always a religion, belief in anything will do - but the basic behavioral pattern remains the same.

Furthermore, I would ask you why it is ok to dismiss rural America like this, but apparently not the middle east, to which the same points regarding religious fundamentalism apply? If one is garbage then clearly they both must be.

EDIT:
Mark Twain on truth and belief

Quote from: Mark Twain in his essay "What is Man"
And when you know the man's religious complexion, you know what sort of religious books he reads when he wants some more light, and what sort of books he avoids, lest by accident he get more light than he wants. In America if you know which party-collar a voter wears, you know what his associations are, and how he came by his politics, and which breed of newspaper he reads to get light, and which breed he diligently avoids, and which breed of mass-meetings he attends in order to broaden his political knowledge, and which breed of mass-meetings he doesn't attend, except to refute its doctrines with brickbats. We are always hearing of people who are around seeking after truth. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think he had never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who thought they were (permanent) Seekers after Truth. They sought diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect honesty and nicely adjusted judgment—until they believed that without doubt or question they had found the Truth. That was the end of the search. The man spent the rest of his life hunting up shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather. If he was seeking after political Truth he found it in one or another of the hundred political gospels which govern men in the earth; if he was seeking after the Only True Religion he found it in one or another of the three thousand that are on the market. In any case, when he found the Truth he sought no further; but from that day forth, with his soldering-iron in one hand and his bludgeon in the other he tinkered its leaks and reasoned with objectors. There have been innumerable Temporary Seekers of Truth—have you ever heard of a permanent one? In the very nature of man such a person is impossible.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Genghis Khan

The wall is now a fence and the beaners arent going to be deported, he also already placed a chosen one to work for him, this election was made only to release the pressure of the burguers so they dont revolt, democracy is a meme.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Genghis Khan on November 27, 2016, 07:52:40 PM
The wall is now a fence and the beaners arent going to be deported, he also already placed a chosen one to work for him, this election was made only to release the pressure of the burguers so they dont revolt, democracy is a meme.

I am going to leave this post exactly as it is, without comment.  As I feel commentary can only ruin the effect.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2016, 10:26:19 AM
Quote from: Genghis Khan on November 27, 2016, 07:52:40 PM

I am going to leave this post exactly as it is, without comment.  As I feel commentary can only ruin the effect.

:lulz: :lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's a perfect note for this thread to end on.

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

At any rate, this thread is predicated on a false premise. Most americans voted against him, and many of the votes for him were the result of Russian interference

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 11, 2016, 06:00:51 PM
At any rate, this thread is predicated on a false premise. Most americans voted against him,

And in a hypothetical scenario where the presidential election is decided by the popular vote this would matter. This has not been the case for the past 230 years.

Quoteand many of the votes for him were the result of Russian interference

[citation needed]

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on December 11, 2016, 08:10:54 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 11, 2016, 06:00:51 PM
At any rate, this thread is predicated on a false premise. Most americans voted against him,

And in a hypothetical scenario where the presidential election is decided by the pop :horrormirth:ular vote this would matter. This has not been the case for the past 230 years.

Oh, he won the election alright, but the false premise of the thread is that he won over the american people (which he did not) and to a lesser extent that he was democratically elected (he wasn't)

He only won because we have an inherently defective and inherently gerrymandered election system as a result of a couple of long dead assholes pushing some pork barrel legislation over two centuries ago at the constitutional convention.

It's bad enough that we have the senate and that the districts for the house of representatives are arbitrarily made to not cross to state boundries, but this takes the cake.

(if it were up to me we'd have a completely non-regional senate and congressional districts would not be by state, just by whatever shape is necessary for each to give them all as close as possible to exactly the same number of voters, even if it crosses state lines or bisects a city)

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)