News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Direct Experience

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, May 27, 2016, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

What is in the way of OP's "direct" experience is the notion of a "world" that can be directly experienced without the interference of consciousness.  The world is not something that exists "on the other side" of consciousness.  Objective/external dichotomies are insufficient and misleading.  The only way to obtain any vestige of a "direct" experience is, wait for it............... Now! :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 10, 2017, 03:10:43 PM
I've never been able to get any philosopher to explain exactly how one would directly experience and observe reality without the use of a biological apparatus designed/evolved for the purpose of experiencing and observing reality.

My senses detect that you are back.

where the fuck have you been, and where are the Goddamned pancakes?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rev Thwack

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2017, 03:38:58 AM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 10, 2017, 03:10:43 PM
I've never been able to get any philosopher to explain exactly how one would directly experience and observe reality without the use of a biological apparatus designed/evolved for the purpose of experiencing and observing reality.

My senses detect that you are back.

where the fuck have you been, and where are the Goddamned pancakes?

My powers were needed elsewhere, but with the current illness of you and the country, I figured it was time come back. The pancakes are returning at subluminal velocity, so they're still a bit behind me.
My balls itch...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 10, 2017, 09:00:48 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 10, 2017, 08:03:49 PM
Oh, and there are many, many excellent modern philosophers, most of whom have been trained in one of the philosophical disciplines we call "sciences".

O SNAP

:thanks:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."